U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-19-2007, 02:25 PM

3,111 posts, read 8,310,272 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gennaver View Post
Is this the reporting from the same media who just the other day said, (about the raging estranged husband in a divorce case who killed his two young daughters and then himself that...) "this was caused by a bitter divorce." Um, no, the divorce and this were both caused by the fact that he was a raging power-control freak, not the other way around.

When I heard the reporter say that the murder of the two girls was caused because of a bitter divorce I was stunned. Talk about sending the wrong message to abused women!! Talk about giving more power to the power control freaks who already threaten their abused partners with "if you leave me I'll...whatever horrendous thing they can think of." Grrrn, freakin' media!

Gen
This is another story that the media is having a field day with. This is a horrible tragedy but I wouldn't say the guy was a raging power-control freak. My sympathy goes out to the mother but they are making her out like she is perfect and did nothing wrong, there is more to this story than the media is reporting. Did you know that the picture of the girls they showed on the news was three years old?? Did the mother not have a more recent picture??
I am NOT saying that what this man did was right in any way. Is makes me VERY, VERY angry that he took those little girls lives.

They need to investigate into what led him to do this.

I hate the way the media reports!!! I wish they would report some GOOD news for a change~~

Last edited by TXtrkgrl; 12-19-2007 at 02:44 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-19-2007, 06:15 PM

13,807 posts, read 26,299,084 times
I heard some audio on one of the news stations last night or this morning (yes, my memory sucks) where the stupid drunk lady that killed this girl was complaining about how tight the handcuffs were. I salute the cops for not slapping her on the spot, I definitely would've done at least that to her..
These drunks are pathetic and there is no excuse for them, they need to suck it up and get a clue and STOP DRIVING!! they did release the drunks name on the news too; I won't say what I hope happens to her now..

Old 12-19-2007, 07:03 PM

14,614 posts, read 31,149,965 times
Most nights are pretty scary if you ever venture out onto 410 or 1604, or any roads really--it's just a little more frightening at the higher speeds, IMO. Drunk driving is an epidemic in this city, and it's not just on the weekends. I, too, have zero sympathy for these drunks, and I just don't understand why in this day and age people still do it. I hope this girl gets a very lengthy jail sentence so she can spend lots of time thinking about the pain she's caused. Unlike the spoiled little judge's daughter in Houston who killed her boyfriend while she was driving drunk on 610. She got a measly 120 days in jail, and now she has petitioned the court to let her serve that time on the weekends so she doesn't lose her college scholarship. Disgusting!

Old 12-19-2007, 07:17 PM

323 posts, read 742,227 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sapphire View Post
Drunk driving is an epidemic in this city, and it's not just on the weekends.
Drunk driving seems to be an epidemic everywhere, but yeah, it is pretty bad here. I see so many people come in to the hospital from mva's...majority of them are alcohol related in some way. Very sad.

Old 12-19-2007, 07:27 PM

I work with college students. Every Friday when we're leaving I remind them all not to drink and drive. I really want to see them all in one piece on Monday. There is one that doesn't listen--I want to shake him!! He's the typical college kid enjoying his newfound freedom, but hasn't learned the responsibility part yet. I tell him all the time--think about how you'd feel, and how your young life would be ruined, if you took someone's life because you drank and drove (because it always seems like the drunk walks away with barely a scratch). I just pray he snaps one day and finally gets it. Until then, I worry.

Old 12-19-2007, 08:12 PM

20 posts, read 77,505 times
In 1972 me, my little brother and my new stepmom (who was pregnant) was on our way home from being picked up at our Aunts house. We lived on a rural road in the most Northern part of my county. This was before seatbelts were standard use. We were going down the road and over a hill. That is the last thing I remember. The rest I was told. The car that hit us was driven by the town drunk. He had topped the hill in the middle of the road and hit us head on. The car we were in flipped and rolled into a ditch. My stepmom who was 19 was thrown from the car upon impact. The car landed on her. Killing her. I and my little brother were in the car in the back seat. I was the one who crawled out of the car and walked down the road to a house. I was found there by the owners and told them who I was and my daddys name (he was a deputy sheriff) and that there had been a wreck. The car was not visable from the house. They called the police. My aunt that I had been staying with that day happend to pass by the accident and recognize the car. She took me and my brother to the hosptial. I had head injuries and my brother had a broken arm and leg amoung other injuries. My aunt told me later that night that my mommy had gone to heaven.

I lived in that county for the next 20 years driving past that spot almost daily. I never forgot the day that a drunk man killed my stepmom. Her name was Lillian Blaylock Legans, she died June 21, 1972 in Weakley County Tennessee. She was the victim of a drunk driver before there were stiff drunk driver laws. The man who hit us, never served a day in jail. EVER. '

So for some one to get on here and attempt to excuse the murder of a woman who only wanted to live her life is horrible. Driving drunk is not a disease its a CHOICE. You dont chose to get cancer, you dont chose to have a heart condition, you dont chose to have diabetes. However, you DO chose to get into a car, start it and drive down the road when you have been drinking. Its a choice. The worst choice anyone can make. It affects others in a way you have no idea about until you have been there. By the way. I was 7 years old that day. My brother was 6.

http://http://i13.photobucket.com/albums/a254/loricurbo/mystepmother.jpg (broken link)

Last edited by ravensday; 12-19-2007 at 08:24 PM.. Reason: add photo

Old 12-19-2007, 08:25 PM

323 posts, read 742,227 times
sapphire,

We give "safety briefings" every week in the military, and drinking and driving is always a topic. It is very unfortunate that people don't get it, even after all of the accidents. We can remind people only so much, the rest is up to them.

Old 12-19-2007, 09:18 PM

Well, I didn't see this interview, and it's hard to tell sincerity/tone etc from the written word, but the Fire Chief's words seem genuine to me. Nobody wins in this situation, and I can tell you that there is no way I would want to be the one out there night in/night out scraping people up off the road, so they have my respect. Erica is gone, and another life was wasted that night, too. The Ybarra woman has sobered up and please God, I hope and pray she is feeling remorseful by now.
http://www.woai.com/news/local/story...5-a34da993f5b3

Old 12-20-2007, 01:50 AM

2,027 posts, read 6,353,921 times
I'm not sure where it is posted (somewhere on this forum) but San Antonio was recenty ranked one of the "drunkest" cities in America. I think it and Austin took 9th and 10th place in the nation based on alcohol offenses.

Old 12-20-2007, 08:01 AM

343 posts, read 1,174,790 times
There was one small victory this week. The man that killed the mother and son on I-10 in a head on collision while drunk was found guilty.

He was sentenced to 12 years for each death.

Hopefully this will change his life.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio