U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-20-2007, 08:24 AM

8,400 posts, read 20,171,634 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by yosoyway View Post
There was one small victory this week. The man that killed the mother and son on I-10 in a head on collision while drunk was found guilty.

He was sentenced to 12 years for each death.

Hopefully this will change his life.
Small victory indeed. He needs to go away forever. Why should he have any chance left at life when he has robbed two innocent individuals of theirs?

Cheers! M2
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-20-2007, 12:00 PM

2,027 posts, read 6,364,414 times
Update:

Fire Chief apologizes to family and city over comments made.

http://www.mysanantonio.com/opinion/stories/MYSA122107.O.Hoodcomment.34222f14.html (broken link)

Old 12-20-2007, 12:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by majormadmax View Post
Small victory indeed. He needs to go away forever. Why should he have any chance left at life when he has robbed two innocent individuals of theirs?

Cheers! M2
This small victory will likely be cut short when he is released on parole after serving just a couple of years. It is sad but true that many of these offenders are released early due to overcrowded prisons and associated financial woes. At least he was sentenced, as too often the punishment handed down in these cases is merely a slap on the wrist.

Old 12-20-2007, 02:37 PM

13,807 posts, read 26,353,646 times
I was listening to a piece on AM 1200 this morning and one of the prosecutors was saying it's the juries that are mostly at fault here. Seems it's hard to find jurors that see drunk driving as a crime, mostly because they also do it and don't feel right passing judgement on someone that is like themselves.. It's like people go out of their way to make people want to leave this city once they get to know it. That's gotta be the biggest load of crap I've ever heard in my life.

Old 12-20-2007, 03:33 PM

380 posts, read 1,168,023 times
Tent Cities ....make life hell for them instead of a nice comfy place. Make them not want to come back, and save tax payers money.

Only when you petition your government leaders will change take affect, if you say nothing then you can't complain.

This forum is great but your local government leaders aren't going to listen to this forum. They will listen when they get flooded with calls, mails or a petition is signed by the masses.

Old 12-20-2007, 06:54 PM

260 posts, read 1,023,623 times
As a doctor who works with these patients upon arrival to the ER or the OR in addition to having taken care of plenty of near dead people, let me offer my opinion that finding a pulse and getting a response is not as easy as it seems especially in the outside in the cold with blood on the patient and after CPR appeared to fail. Even with training brainstem reflexes can still be confusing if one doesn't elicit them on a regular basis. I agree with the above posters who suggest to withold judgement, unless you know all the details. My sincere condolences to the families of those injured.

Old 12-23-2007, 12:07 AM

138 posts, read 383,123 times
Until there is a 'one strike' that carries a heavy mandatory sentence, this will never stop. I am just curious- does anyone know the statistics of who does the most drink/drive? Is it the meddle class white? The illegal Mexican who gets everything paid for? Is it the teenager- the teen with poor grades, or the teen with great grades and too much money from mom and dad? Just curious.

Old 12-23-2007, 12:16 AM

8,400 posts, read 20,171,634 times
Quote:
Drunk driving is the most frequently committed violent crime in our country; and in Texas, this crime is committed more frequently than in any other state. According to the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration (NHTSA), 1,569 people were killed in alcohol-related crashes in Texas in 2005, and more than 63,500 people were injured. The percentage of crashes which are alcohol-related in Texas (45%) is far above the national average (39%)(Source (http://www.madd.org/chapter/4800_2658 - broken link))
And this is why...

Quote:
Criminal status of drunk driving laws in Texas

In Texas, 1st offense is a class B misdemeanor, 2nd offense within 10 years is a class A misdemeanor, subsequent offenses are 3rd degree felonies. Citation:Penal Code 12.21, 12.22, 12.34, 49.04 & 49.09
Until Texas gets tough on drunk driving, it will always be a problem here...

Cheers! M2

Old 12-23-2007, 12:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by majormadmax View Post
And this is why...

Until Texas gets tough on drunk driving, it will always be a problem here...

Cheers! M2
Agreed. .

Old 12-24-2007, 03:06 AM

http://www.mysanantonio.com/news/metro/stories/MYSA122407.01A.smithfolo.2926616.html (broken link)

It looks like this may be heating up:

"I'm very angry," Robert Smith said. "We need to speak to lawyers about this. That's all I'm going to say."

If you put yourself in the family member's shoes I can see their frustration. If I had a child in that situation I'd want every paramedic in town trying to help him/her. What really hurts the situation is the anonymous police officer who claims he told paramedics twice that she was breathing, only to be told she had no chance of survival. Apparently a doctor has told the family she had a decent chance of survival. I don't see this ending well for the Fire Chief, largely because of the comments he made early on. The public outcry will speak volumes, and it sounds as if he will get the brunt of it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio