U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-31-2007, 08:26 AM
Bo Bo won $500 in our forum's Most Engaging Poster Contest - Tenth Edition (Apr-May 2014). 

Over $104,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum and additional contests are planned

16,823 posts, read 33,229,869 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by tgannaway89 View Post
Apparently Texas has 13 people serving life terms in prison for drinking and driving but NOT causing death or injury. Ouch! I must say while I think a lot of times the punishment isn't tough enough for drunk drivers, a life sentence is ridiculous.
Maybe they were chronic offenders who repeatedly drove drunk on a DUI-suspended license? Maybe they had worse offenses on their record and the DUI was the straw that broke the camel's back?

In other words, there are too many possibilities for extenuating circumstances to paint the word "ridiculous" with such a broad brush.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-31-2007, 02:05 PM

13,807 posts, read 26,355,404 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sapphire View Post
But 50 is less than last year. Take a damn taxi!!
http://www.mysanantonio.com/news/metro/stories/MYSA123107.01B.less_dwi_deaths.2800eea.html (broken link)
I read or heard 220 a couple weeks ago, but maybe I was reading for the county or state or something. I did the math on the arrests and that comes out to 12 irresponsible pieces of trash per day arrested for DUI. I realize there are a lot of stupid people in the world, but I was hoping the number was less than that..

Old 01-09-2008, 01:44 AM

2,027 posts, read 6,364,779 times
Fire chief admits accident blunders - MySA.com: Metro | State (http://www.mysanantonio.com/news/metro/stories/MYSA010908.01A.paramedics.29e427a.html - broken link)

Apparently paramedics did not initially check for a pulse. A police source has also said the driver of the car that Erica Smith was riding in was also intoxicated. Sad story.

Old 01-09-2008, 05:33 AM

great, only thing worse than one stupid drunk is two of them.. If all of this is true though, that was a seriously bad string of mistakes.

The drunk(s) is/are still the root cause of the accident though and she/they need(s) to be the story..

Old 01-09-2008, 06:56 AM

8,400 posts, read 20,173,551 times
A tragic situation all around, but you have to give the city credit for admitting the mistake and taking action against those who violated the procedures.

And it is sad to hear that the other driver (Sabrina Shaner) was intoxicated as well as the original drunk driver (Jenny Ybarra). That is just a stark indicator that drinking and driving is rampant in this city and state, and that much stricter laws and enforcement are needed!

Just another reason why we avoid being out on the road late at night, especially on weekends!

Cheers! M2

Old 01-09-2008, 07:05 AM

and I start working mids Sunday night.. joy

Old 01-11-2008, 11:24 AM

Did anyone read the article on the front page of today's EN? This story just gets worse as it goes on, but still gets back to the root cause: drunk driving..

This is a perfect tool to show just how bad things can get, but I don't think anyone else can see that. So many lives ruined by the same exact thing. what a loss..

Old 01-11-2008, 06:21 PM

3,823 posts, read 13,375,415 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rd2007 View Post
Did anyone read the article on the front page of today's EN? This story just gets worse as it goes on, but still gets back to the root cause: drunk driving..

This is a perfect tool to show just how bad things can get, but I don't think anyone else can see that. So many lives ruined by the same exact thing. what a loss..
There was also an editorial (I think on the first page of Metro Section) that said the father of the deceased girl will be facing charges of injuring two girls several months ago while driving intoxicated. As they say, what goes around comes around.

Old 01-12-2008, 01:51 PM

2,027 posts, read 6,364,779 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steel Man View Post
There was also an editorial (I think on the first page of Metro Section) that said the father of the deceased girl will be facing charges of injuring two girls several months ago while driving intoxicated. As they say, what goes around comes around.
Injure somebody driving drunk and get your kid killed. That would be what goes around comes around much much worse.

Old 01-12-2008, 01:59 PM

Right, it was about him facing charges for intoxication assault, but I thought it was on the front page. I don't think his daughter deserved to pay the price for the father's stupidity.. I was just pointing out that alcohol and driving were the two similarities all around.
I did find it odd that the girl would get in a car with a drunk driver again after nearly getting killed by her father driving drunk only a couple months earlier. I would be more than a little paranoid..
Probably silly, but I also thought of the Final Destination movies when I read the stories. I'm sure most will say that is stupid, but I'm a big believer in when it's your time to go it's your time to go.. I just hope they never catch me from when I escaped as a baby...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio