Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-13-2008, 09:39 AM

759 posts, read 3,678,645 times

Advertisements

I'd like to suggest Rio Mambo. We just love it- great service and very fresh, yummy food. My mom always orders the very last fish item on the center portion of the menu. She's v. picky and thinks it is divine!!!

The inside is "trendy" and for some reason there is hardly ever a wait.... however, Rio Mambo is certainly tex-mex!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-17-2008, 10:28 AM

1 posts, read 2,753 times
For Mexican food, we love Gringo's at Loop 410 and Exchange Parkway. Fabulous chicken dishes that aren't standard Tex-mex faire, so maybe you transplants would like it. Very kid friendly, as there is free ice cones you make yourself on the way out. We love the salsa and chips, a tomato based one and a green sauce. Kids eat free on Wednesdays.

Old 04-17-2008, 04:06 PM

2,397 posts, read 6,434,014 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Primo View Post
They tried Baja style mexican food a few years back..and they all closed down. People didn't take to fish tacos. And fresh lite salads don't go over well in SA. Most of the people in SA can't go one meal that does have a healthy serving of Manteca (Lard) in it.
Yep, yep...that's right. If the menu doesn't include manteca, tripitas, lengua, menudo, caldo de res or barbacoa, don't bother sending me there.

Old 04-18-2008, 01:17 PM

3 posts, read 8,491 times
Fitmom, Just wanted to give you the heads up on a restaurant I think you would love. Ernesto's Restaurant on Vance Jackson/Jackson Keller. My friend's father owns its. He is has been trained by the finest chefs. It specializes in seafood. Ernesto has created some of the most exquiste sauces for any seafood dish. It is, however, an intimate setting. Nice for an anniversary dinner or to get engaged. Prices are fair (for seafood). Give it a try. I think you will be pleased.

Old 04-18-2008, 02:47 PM

83 posts, read 213,824 times
I love, love, love Ernesto's! I had the best seafood crepes there ever (recommended by Ernesto himself). I dream about those crepes. Ernesto stops by every table and if you will allow him, he will have dishes prepared especially for you according to your likes. I adore the sauce that is like a coconut, pineapple beurre blanc (can't remember what it is called). Although I don't believe the place is really kid friendly - it is slightly upscale, even tho it's in a strip center.

Old 04-18-2008, 03:15 PM

734 posts, read 3,004,998 times
See what you call Tex-Mex is just Mexican food to me. I don't care for the red sauces. I love Chuy's with the green chili sauces, I LOVE Pico De Gallo! Give me avocado, chicken, cheese and cilantro and I'm very happy!

What is the name of the new Mexican Food place at Wilderness Oak and Stone Oak?

Old 04-18-2008, 03:43 PM

All I know is whether Baja-style or Tex-Mex, tortilla soup is SUPPOSED to have tortillas in it! I went to a place called "On the Border" here and ordered tortilla soup. The damned thing didn't have one tortilla in it!

Old 04-18-2008, 03:58 PM

734 posts, read 3,004,998 times
Some recipes use the corn tortillas as a thickener, and they are dissolved in the soup rather than actually having large pieces of them. But "On the Border" is a terrible restaurant, at least the one in Phoenix I went to - if it is a chain or just the same name used.

Old 04-18-2008, 04:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Turtle_Mom View Post
Some recipes use the corn tortillas as a thickener, and they are dissolved in the soup rather than actually having large pieces of them. But "On the Border" is a terrible restaurant, at least the one in Phoenix I went to - if it is a chain or just the same name used.
This soup was like water, so it's doubtful that they used it as a thickener. It is a chain and it's along the lines of Taco Bell, if you ask me. NASTY!!!!

Old 04-19-2008, 02:09 AM

181 posts, read 671,784 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Turtle_Mom View Post
See what you call Tex-Mex is just Mexican food to me. I don't care for the red sauces. I love Chuy's with the green chili sauces, I LOVE Pico De Gallo! Give me avocado, chicken, cheese and cilantro and I'm very happy!

What is the name of the new Mexican Food place at Wilderness Oak and Stone Oak?
Do you mean Hardy Oak and Stone Oak? That restaurant is Aldacos. I've been to the one in Sunset Station and it's really good. I haven't tried the new one yet, but I've heard it's good.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio