U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-14-2014, 05:01 PM

6,456 posts, read 4,370,325 times

Advertisements

I realize that cities in Texas are pretty outwards sprawl from its city proper for many many miles as well as zoning doesn't have a meaning on the most part (stand to be corrected). I just need an idea if I decide to pay you all a visit to see SA areas where employment could happen so I can get an idea what it's like - if that all makes any sense.

I'm a early 50's Caucasian Straight male and wondering if I'll even fit in due to my age mostly.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-14-2014, 07:46 PM

6,144 posts, read 8,600,974 times
What is your industry? It really depends on what you want to do. If you want to work in tourism you'll be working downtown. If you want to do something in oil you'll be well far away from the city center.

Old 07-14-2014, 08:24 PM

1,791 posts, read 2,435,154 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ashbeeigh View Post
What is your industry? It really depends on what you want to do. If you want to work in tourism you'll be working downtown. If you want to do something in oil you'll be well far away from the city center.
Are you saying jobs downtown are mainly related to tourism?

Old 07-14-2014, 08:34 PM

6,144 posts, read 8,600,974 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TXEX06 View Post
I'm saying a good majority are. I worked downtown at a non-profit up until this past Saturday so, yes, it was a generalization, but I do know there are several other options in the area. I also just threw out two random things that someone may be interested in. Since I don't know what the OP's background is in I can't really help yet.

Old 07-14-2014, 09:05 PM
Bo Bo won $500 in our forum's Most Engaging Poster Contest - Tenth Edition (Apr-May 2014). 

Over $104,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum and additional contests are planned

16,814 posts, read 33,131,390 times
The San Antonio metro area is a bit unusual among large US cities, because its population density drops quickly in 3 directions (E, W and S), once you get to the outer edges of Bexar County. Most employers are in the county. Most of the county is the city of San Antonio.

Most of the aforementioned oil jobs are 2 or more counties away from the city, because that's where the oil is.

Old 07-15-2014, 11:40 AM

Thanks for the responses, I'm in the Accounting/Accounting Support realm of work with no oil industry experience.

Old 07-15-2014, 11:59 AM

4,268 posts, read 8,357,221 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TXEX06 View Post

I would reword that to say the jobs related to tourism/hospitality are mainly in the downtown area (not all, obviously). Not the other way around.

Old 07-15-2014, 04:19 PM

520 posts, read 600,792 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lol-its-good4U View Post
Thanks for the responses, I'm in the Accounting/Accounting Support realm of work with no oil industry experience.
A lot of financial sector businesses are located on the North, Northwest, & West sides of town. There are two Accounting firms in the building I work in (I-10 & 410W), along with USAA's campus being right up (west) I-10. My wife is currently working temp job near 281 & 1604 for an accounting firm that handles financials for a transport company. I'm not sure if the Wells Fargo, Citi, and other Far West side call centers have accountants on staff.

Old 07-16-2014, 06:59 AM

3,742 posts, read 3,843,839 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CyVaquero View Post
A lot of financial sector businesses are located on the North, Northwest, & West sides of town. There are two Accounting firms in the building I work in (I-10 & 410W), along with USAA's campus being right up (west) I-10. My wife is currently working temp job near 281 & 1604 for an accounting firm that handles financials for a transport company. I'm not sure if the Wells Fargo, Citi, and other Far West side call centers have accountants on staff.
I know wells Fargo and Capital Group have accounting departments here in San Antonio on the westside.

To the OP if you look in Seguin, Boerne, or New Braunsfels I'm sure you can find an accounting position.

Old 07-16-2014, 07:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CyVaquero View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by rynetwo View Post
I know wells Fargo and Capital Group have accounting departments here in San Antonio on the westside.

To the OP if you look in Seguin, Boerne, or New Braunsfels I'm sure you can find an accounting position.
Thanks to both of you for your input, so very much appreciated.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or