Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-17-2014, 07:23 AM

56 posts, read 68,607 times

Advertisements

I'm pursuing a degree in education, but I'm at a threshold point and I need to make some decisions. I'm hoping to get some feedback.

My initial intent was to teach elementary school and pursue the EC-6 generalist - I love children, I love being creative, I know this is what I'm meant to do. However, I love English (the idea of becoming an editor/copywriter was appealing to me also, but not much need here in SA) and am now toying with the idea of switching majors and getting my BA in English with teacher certification in which case I could teach high school. I'm currently working towards my Assoc of Arts Teaching at SAC which covers the EC-12 area, but if I want to teach high school, it's my understanding that I have to major in my subject of choice and minor in education.

In your opinion, which is the preferred route? Is the elementary school teacher scene saturated? Are there more job openings at the high school level? I'm not opposed to traveling outside city limits to find work either. Should I get certified across the board so I can teach at any level; is this worth the extra schooling? Any tips would be greatly appreciated!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-17-2014, 07:41 AM

7,005 posts, read 12,475,795 times
English and social studies are definitely oversaturated unless you want to work in a rural or severely economically disadvantaged school. I don't know about private schools, but it is my understanding that no public school in Texas offers education as a major at baccalaureate level. The fields with shortages are special education, ESL, foreign languages, computer science, mathematics, physics, chemistry, and family and consumer sciences.

Old 07-17-2014, 08:00 AM

I'm not opposed to working rural and in fact would prefer to move to an outer lying area. If I pursue elementary education, I would get a BS in Interdisciplinary Studies/EC-6 generalist; the other option is BA in English with teacher certification.

Old 07-17-2014, 08:19 AM

1,074 posts, read 1,801,375 times
I am an elementary teacher in NISD which is the largest in the city. And yes there are plenty of people trying to get into the elem. school setting. NISD is pretty competitive to get in to. Impossible no, difficult yes. As mentioned before you are more likely to get interviews if you are certified in spec. ed, ESL, or both at the elem. school level. High school is a bit different. Lets say you wanted to teach Biology or Physics. You would register for the High School Sciences test through the state, take it, pass it, and it is added on to your generalist certification. Same thing w English, SS, etc. Now just b/c you have that on your certification doesn't guarantee you anything. If I were still in school I would get certified in any special needs areas I could b/c that is what districts/principals are looking for in the pool of applicants. Just look at the link I put. You will see a lot of positions open requiring a spec. ed background or being bilingual. Way better if you are both. Keep us posted. The landscape of education has changed drastically since I was getting certified. Don't even get me started on standardized tests!

Professional Positions | Northside ISD Human Resources

Old 07-17-2014, 08:43 AM

1,807 posts, read 2,969,845 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by L210 View Post
English and social studies are definitely oversaturated unless you want to work in a rural or severely economically disadvantaged school. I don't know about private schools, but it is my understanding that no public school in Texas offers education as a major at baccalaureate level. The fields with shortages are special education, ESL, foreign languages, computer science, mathematics, physics, chemistry, and family and consumer sciences.
What are all these Colleges of Education at all the big public universities across the state and country?

Old 07-17-2014, 08:50 AM

You really need to know a principal or someone in HR OP. I'm an elementary teacher and a lot of new teachers have a masters degree now. In many states now you need a masters degree to become a teacher. You will be going up against new grads from UT Austin, A&M, etc. A lot of rural and urban districts are hard to get teaching jobs at now because they hire a lot of Teach For America people. Like Irish said, look at special ed, bilingual, and ESL. There isn't even a shortage of high school math and science teachers anymore.

You might be better off becoming a copy writer/editor and working for yourself.

Old 07-17-2014, 09:16 AM

1,074 posts, read 1,801,375 times
Totally agree. Sadly, NCLB has created such a strain on districts that they are now looking for highly qualified applicants such as those with Masters or Doctorates. I feel kind of bad for the large number of college students who are in the education field b/c it is very hard to become a teacher nowadays. Well, at least in TX. Not sure of other states. Sorry to rain on your parade but that is the reality of schools now. Also, a large number of schools in rural areas around here are Title One. I would look into that as well when choosing where you apply. Nothing bad against those b/c I have worked in title one's before. It is just a different type of school climate.

Old 07-17-2014, 09:52 AM

7,005 posts, read 12,475,795 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TXEX06 View Post
What are all these Colleges of Education at all the big public universities across the state and country?
What are you exactly asking? Having a College of Education does not mean that a college offers education as a major at the baccalaureate level. Because I'm typing on my phone, it's not easy for me to post a link, but TEA says that Texas universities do not offer bachelors degrees in education. I challenge you to find one bachelors program at a public university in Texas that has a major in education and leads to certification. A search on the College for Texans website comes up with zero results.

Old 07-17-2014, 10:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by L210 View Post
What are you exactly asking? Having a College of Education does not mean that a college offers education as a major at the baccalaureate level. Because I'm typing on my phone, it's not easy for me to post a link, but TEA says that Texas universities do not offer bachelors degrees in education. I challenge you to find one bachelors program at a public university in Texas that has a major in education and leads to certification. A search on the College for Texans website comes up with zero results.
What do you think people learn who get a Bachelor of Science in Education? They don't "major" in education. Just like someone doesn't "major" in just engineering or business. Those are all much too broad of a term for today. But, ones major will be Interdisciplinary Studies, Health, Kinesiology, Infancy and Childhood Studies, Youth and Community Studies, etc. All of these majors directly relate to education and teaching, and you will take a ton of classes to help prepare you as an educator. All these majors lead to certification if you choose to get certified the traditional route while still in school. Are you being dense on purpose?

Old 07-17-2014, 11:12 AM

That's one of the things I was worried about. Although every thing I've read says the education field is booming in Texas, but then when you start asking around, you hear a different story. I had looked into that Teach for America and saw something about Alternative Certification for Educators, but I've read that they basically throw you into a schoolroom with little experience in how to manage one in a school district that is needy and expect you to turn it around.......and I've also read degreed teachers turn their noses up at you because they bothered to go through the "proper" education process. I think I'll definitely look into the Spec Ed minor as I was already contemplating that. I'd like to get my foot in the door and start earning before I progress to my Masters, but I will do what it takes. My son's 3rd grade teacher said to try to have your observation done at the school (or district) that you want to work at as they may go ahead and hire you - that's basically how she was hired on. My other son's kinder teacher was a sub, but his regular teacher had her baby mid school year and never returned and they hired the sub on and I noticed she's staying for next year as well.

TXEX, I just mildly searched the SA area for editing jobs - it seems like a hard area to break in to in San Antonio, but I imagine networking will be a big part of that. I do know a higher up at Express News that might be able to steer me in the right direction should I pursue that avenue. I'll need to do more research.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio