Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-24-2014, 03:32 PM

381 posts, read 768,066 times

Advertisements

Please avoid converse. It's not a desirable place to live, and THAT is why it's cheap to live there. I went to see some houses in that area and found quickly why they were so cheap.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-24-2014, 03:53 PM

6 posts, read 32,295 times
Converse is an older part of town, Seaworld is much newer. Different strokes for different folks.

I live on the North East side of San Antonio (I35 and 1604 on the NE side) and work in West Austin (Bee Cave, Texas), San Marcos, AND San Antonio, commuting from here on the NE is a breeze compared to trying to work towards the west side which has been going through major (re)construction for the I10 corridor, and will be that way for the next 15 years, check with the TXDOT website to get a taste of the projects planned in San Antonio:

Project Studies: San Antonio District

Now, if you're worried about commute, check with google maps at the morning rush hour (make navigation waypoints) and see how heavy the traffic is. If you ever consider working in San Marcos or Austin, you will have to leave an hour earlier than expected from SeaWorld (I've done it twice before) EX I woud have to leave Seaworld at 5:30am to get to work in west Austin at 7:20am, if I leave at 6am, I wont make it to work until 8:30 due to traffic spiking up.

But if I leave from the north east side (Judson and I35) at 6am, I get to work around 7:15 or so.

Also, if you check, the population on the north east is older, and there are clinics EVERYWHERE you go. Especially around North EAst Methodist Hospital: Northeast Methodist Hospital - Methodist Healthcare System | San Antonio, TX

Also around Stone Oak, but the benefit of the north east, as you said, easy access to San Marcos and Austin, and that's why I live here too.

Old 07-24-2014, 04:48 PM

48 posts, read 62,480 times
Don't move near Sea World. Question: How did you come up with these two options? It seems quite random... I think there are definitely better alternatives!

Old 07-24-2014, 04:53 PM

8,238 posts, read 10,723,638 times
ZOMG not Sea Worldz!!! Dont you know that's the GET-TOE?!?!?!

All kidding aside I'd say live by Sea World mostly because I live there and still dont do meth

Old 07-24-2014, 05:02 PM

520 posts, read 781,760 times
Note that as a PT or PTA you really aren't limited to the medical center - there are plenty PT offices on this side town.

I live off Potranco outside of 1604, ~3 miles southwest of SeaWorld. East on Potranco and I'm on the edge of the city, about 10-15 minutes from Alamo Ranch and Westover Hills Shopping, about 25 minutes to La Cantera & Six Flags. West and south a couple miles and it's South Texas Plains farmland.

Commute to I-10W & 410W (near northeast corner of Medical Center) ~20-25 minutes leaving home at 6am, ~30-40 (usually 35) minutes leaving work at 4pm.

When I was renting (last year) we were paying $1350/mo for 1800sqft 5 year old home in Westcreek.

I know people can be passionate about Boerne, it's nice but not the beat all end all and there are plenty of other nice towns surrounding San Antonio. Comfort is 40 miles & Fredericksburg is 62, not what I would consider commutable during rush hour (which really isn't too bad in comparison to D.C., Philly, NYC) with young kids at home. Although it really depends on how 'small town' you want to get.

Old 07-24-2014, 06:49 PM

6,884 posts, read 20,403,213 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SabresFanInSA View Post
ZOMG not Sea Worldz!!! Dont you know that's the GET-TOE?!?!?!

All kidding aside I'd say live by Sea World mostly because I live there and still dont do meth
I'm just waiting for smuboy to come in and tell us how awful the $300K+ gated and/or master-planned neighborhoods are around here. After all, it's the "Northwest side"...or is it "West side"?

Really, all Alamo Ranch needs is a golf course. But then, the Hyatt Hill Country resort golf course *IS* just down the street...

Yeah don't move by Sea World. It's way too ghetto.

All jokes aside, I'd live in Boerne if I could. But I live near Sea World, in Westover Hills. I love it here.

Old 07-24-2014, 07:47 PM

4 posts, read 6,276 times
Thank you so much everyone ! Great pointers! I want to bother u all with one last question...I have been focusing all my energy on new brainfels but with all this good advice I am opening up to the idea of san antonio. In addition to good schools and neighborhoods , could you all offer up some zip codes that I should be looking for homes in ? I know the one by sea world is 78251, what are some other good ones . Looking for rental homes 3-4 bedroom 1200-1500 range preferably. We like small a town feel with an easy commute to good food and family fun. Also if you know of any subdivisions with a community pool let me know ! thanks guys, you have been so helpful and now I'm getting excited!

Old 07-24-2014, 08:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AF2Tex View Post
Thank you so much everyone ! Great pointers! I want to bother u all with one last question...I have been focusing all my energy on new brainfels but with all this good advice I am opening up to the idea of san antonio. In addition to good schools and neighborhoods , could you all offer up some zip codes that I should be looking for homes in ? I know the one by sea world is 78251, what are some other good ones . Looking for rental homes 3-4 bedroom 1200-1500 range preferably. We like small a town feel with an easy commute to good food and family fun. Also if you know of any subdivisions with a community pool let me know ! thanks guys, you have been so helpful and now I'm getting excited!

Try 78253, Alamo Ranch area. Also, Helotes is a nice area, just north of the 78253/78251 area. That zip is 78023.

Old 07-24-2014, 08:54 PM

These are houses in neighborhoods in the immediate area I would recommend:

5030 Roan Brk, San Antonio, TX 78251 is For Rent - Zillow In Westover Valley

1911 Feldtmann Trl, San Antonio, TX 78251 is For Rent - Zillow In The Fairway at Legacy Trails (gated in Westover Hills--I'd jump on this if I were you!)

6303 Big Bend Cv, San Antonio, TX 78253 is For Rent - Zillow in Alamo Ranch

Anything priced less in the surrounding areas are not going to be as nice. Just FYI.

Old 07-24-2014, 10:00 PM

336 posts, read 483,982 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mom2Feebs View Post
I'm just waiting for smuboy to come in and tell us how awful the $300K+ gated and/or master-planned neighborhoods are around here.
You're equating quality with price... And that's not ever really a truthful correlation.

People thought Levittown was pretty snazzy when it first opened too. You can see how well that turned out.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio