Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-24-2014, 07:10 AM

4 posts, read 6,264 times

Advertisements

We are relocating to Texas in 3 weeks. We originally wanted to be in hill country but it seems that there are slim pickin's in terms of homes for rent in the area. We are not wanting to buy until we are certain we like the area. So my question is as follows: Is it worth it to rent a 1400 sq ft 3 bdrm 2 bath duplex for 1300 because it is in New Braunfels, as opposed to renting a 4 bedroom 2000 sqft home in a gated community with a community pool for the SAME PRICE (1300), but it's in San Antonio by seaworld? Also what is wrong with converse Texas because it seems the homes there are so cheap, what's the catch? We have 2 kids, ages 3 and 4 so elementary schools are important as well as local daycares. I work from home, my husband is a physical therapist assistant. Alt. We would prefer a 4 bedroom for my at home office as well as a guest room as all of our family will visit often from NYC...BUT if there is a huge plus to living in Hill country...then we will settle for a smaller 3 bedroom...so lay it on me! Locals, what shall I do?

Last edited by AF2Tex; 07-24-2014 at 07:47 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-24-2014, 07:21 AM

1,647 posts, read 2,057,468 times
Depends on where husband works. Those are completely different sides of town. I wouldn't think he'd enjoy a nightmare cummute.

Old 07-24-2014, 08:20 AM

1,807 posts, read 2,962,514 times
New Braunfels isn't really Hill Country, it's next to the Hill Country just like San Antonio is. Plenty of hills close to Sea World and more job opportunities for your husband in San Antonio.

Old 07-24-2014, 08:27 AM

9,843 posts, read 13,641,280 times
While you said you'd like to be in the Hill Country, based on those two options I would go with New Braunfels, if the commute is not an issue. The schools are bit more consistent in their reputation. That's not to say that the schools in the Sea World area are bad, you're just staradling the edge of "great" schools and "good" schools. You'll also have more close (I mean within a few minutes) outdoorsy/country like options.

However, if space is an issue then hands down go with the Sea World area. You're close to shopping and just stuff in the Sea World area. The congestion, though, can be tough.

Old 07-24-2014, 08:27 AM

6,884 posts, read 20,366,517 times
Where will hubby be working? Those are two totally different areas!

Old 07-24-2014, 08:42 AM

1,073 posts, read 1,039,067 times
Where is work? Is the AF in your handle Air Force? Sea World area is relative to Lackland. New Braunfels or Converse is relative to Randolph. I would not choose NB if work is at Lackland. Commutes are significant and should be considered in your planning. We don't have enough information to give you much.

There are rents in your range all over the city, but unless you want to waste a few hours a day commuting, I recommend seeking someplace close to work. FWIW, I retired from the Army and settled in Boerne. My last 18 months of service were at Fort Sam....the commute was a choice because we wanted Boerne for homestead, not a temporary location. BUT. The commute was long and expensive. If I were moving again, I would have NEVER picked Boerne over other areas that are closer to Fort Sam. Just offering that commutes around this city (and its outskirts in the hills) are a part of life, but you can cut it down with a little research and planning.

I also lived off of 410 near the airport in 89-90 and in Universal City (near Randolph AFB) 2000-2008. I am not a native, but after 12 combined years here, find the area absolutely wonderful. Welcome and enjoy.

Old 07-24-2014, 08:45 AM

6,693 posts, read 8,742,982 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AF2Tex View Post
We are relocating to Texas in 3 weeks. We originally wanted to be in hill country but it seems that there are slim pickin's in terms of homes for rent in the area. We are not wanting to buy until we are certain we like the area. So my question is as follows: Is it worth it to rent a 1400 sq ft 3 bdrm 2 bath duplex for 1300 because it is in New Braunfels, as opposed to renting a 4 bedroom 2000 sqft home in a gated community with a community pool for the SAME PRICE (1300), but it's in San Antonio by seaworld? Also what is wrong with converse Texas because it seems the homes there are so cheap, what's the catch? We have 2 kids, ages 3 and 4 so elementary schools are important as well as local daycares. I work from home, my husband is a physical therapist assistant. Alt. We would prefer a 4 bedroom for my at home office as well as a guest room as all of our family will visit often from NYC...BUT if there is a huge plus to living in Hill country...then we will settle for a smaller 3 bedroom...so lay it on me! Locals, what shall I do?
Your husband will have an easier time finding a medical position in San Antonio as opposed to New Braunfels. With that being said and the fact you said your family will be visiting often from NYC assuming that they fly in....I would say that living in San Antonio will be better option for you. You will be closer to the airport and the hospitals and still have access to good schools.

Edit: I just saw that your husband may already have a job...wasn't sure from your post though. My advice is based on if he is looking for a job as a physical therapist.

Old 07-24-2014, 08:52 AM

4 posts, read 6,264 times
Thank you so much for your input everyone! We are separating from the Air Force, for right now we have time to play with and find work virtually anywhere, however being that the hubby works in physical therapy, close proximity to good hospitals or clinics would be a major plus. We enjoy doing things that are outdoorsy yet cheap with our little girls, so that is why new braunfels originally appealed to us. Also, I was under the impression that if we lived in NB, my husband would have a larger area to pick from for work because it's between Austin, San Antonio and San Marcos...but what I am hearing you all say is that it's a horrendous commute??? Additionally, I did look into the Boerne, Helotes areas but honestly have no clue where those are in terms of proximity to attractions and hospitals alike....Oh and Great point about the airport...did not consider that!

Old 07-24-2014, 08:56 AM

915 posts, read 1,900,333 times
I think if you compare those options and look at the prices for each, you will clearly see what the market thinks of each location.

New Braunfels, in general terms, is a much more desirable area than Sea World. However, if work is near Sea World, there is 0 chance you would want to commute there from New Braunfels.

If you truly want hill country (or very close to) and don't mind smaller town/cities, Boerne (fairly easy commute to SA medical center, it has its own hospital now too, and very good public schools), Comfort, and Fredricksburg should be on your list. 3 and 4 BR may be a challenge at your price and I confess to knowing nothing about daycare.

Old 07-24-2014, 09:12 AM

318 posts, read 568,683 times
Out of your two choices, New Braunfels is simply a nicer area. If you want Hill Country and excellent schools and outdoor activities near the South Texas Medical Center, Boerne would be the best choice. That said, you may need to increase your budget to $1,500 to $2,000 to find something decent. Also, know that rentals in his price range usually rent within a day or two of becoming available, so you may need a realtor to assist. It's also only 30 minutes to the airport outside of rush hour.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio