U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-29-2014, 10:47 PM

84 posts, read 108,964 times

Advertisements

Well said @bresilhc. Agreed 100%. Jerry Jones needs to focus on rebuilding his "team" before worrying about San Antonio. Same with Houston, and this is coming from a Texans fan. I'd definitely love my hometown to have its own franchise.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-29-2014, 10:48 PM

5,620 posts, read 12,862,125 times
I'd like to see a pro football team in SA. Problem I see is that with the NBA we're considered a small market. There's not much cheering at the NBA when the Spurs win. They'd rather someone like the Lakers, Pistons, the BIG towns where they stand to make more $$$$$$$$$$$$ from TV and sales. It's going to be the same with football. All things considered, are we ready for the new taxes that we'll be asked to spend for a new stadium? The Alamodumb would require extensive modifications for an NFL game. To the plus side, at least there would be seating available for the folks that aren't making 6 figures like it is with the Spurs. Not many average families can afford to go to the Spurs games and sit in those tiny seats.

Old 07-30-2014, 12:43 AM

13 posts, read 22,918 times
@DGarcia, you should do more research as to why the Texans of the CFL folded. Its not logistically feasible to play in a league when your the sole team in the US and closer to Mexico than the nearest opponent in Canada(1,400 miles away in Hamilton, Ontario)

Old 07-30-2014, 01:53 AM

424 posts, read 507,600 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TrapperL View Post
I'd like to see a pro football team in SA. Problem I see is that with the NBA we're considered a small market. There's not much cheering at the NBA when the Spurs win. They'd rather someone like the Lakers, Pistons, the BIG towns where they stand to make more $$$$$$$$$$$$ from TV and sales. It's going to be the same with football. All things considered, are we ready for the new taxes that we'll be asked to spend for a new stadium? The Alamodumb would require extensive modifications for an NFL game. To the plus side, at least there would be seating available for the folks that aren't making 6 figures like it is with the Spurs. Not many average families can afford to go to the Spurs games and sit in those tiny seats.
Pistons? Is this 2004? 1990?

The NBA and most casuals care about superstars, not markets.

And outside of the bad boy Pistons of the late 80s and early 90s, the Pistons have never been a big NBA favorite or draw.

Old 07-30-2014, 05:26 AM

3,126 posts, read 5,141,193 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bresilhac View Post
If Mark Davis knows what's best for his franchise he'll move the Raiders to Texas. With no sales tax the players, staff and ownership would immediately pocket millions.
I think you meant to say Income Tax. Of course, they would not be subject to State Income Tax if the players chose to reside here. Just because the employer is based in Texas, doesn't mean employees are exempt from State Income Tax, if they don't reside here.

Speaking of taxes, the construction of the Alamodome was funded with a temporary 1/2 cent sales tax. But PreK4SA currently has that 1/2 cent tax locked up, so the City is maxed-out on the sales tax, and would have to find another funding source for what are being described as essential upgrades to make the Alamodome suitable, at least temporarily, as a venue for NFL.

Old 07-30-2014, 05:28 AM

1,509 posts, read 1,540,716 times
How about adding a small tax to rental cars and hotels? I've seen other cities do this.

Old 07-30-2014, 05:46 AM
Bo Bo won $500 in our forum's Most Engaging Poster Contest - Tenth Edition (Apr-May 2014). 

Over $104,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum and additional contests are planned

16,807 posts, read 33,077,349 times
Jim Forsyth at WOAI, who is as plugged in as any journalist in this city, says that all this was was Henry Cisneros giving Mark Davis a tour of the Alamodome after they were introduced at a banquet.

Jim said on the radio that if Henry met the devil, he would be trying to encourage the devil to build a hotel on the River Walk.

IOW, it means nothing.

Old 07-30-2014, 06:01 AM
Bo Bo won $500 in our forum's Most Engaging Poster Contest - Tenth Edition (Apr-May 2014). 

Over $104,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum and additional contests are planned

16,807 posts, read 33,077,349 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by trill_hippy210 View Post
We only have 1 major league sports franchise here. Since when have we been throwing money at pro sports teams?!
When we built the Alamodome, in the hope of attracting an NFL team.

When the Spurs decided they didn't like the Alamodome and threatened to leave unless they got something better.

When Wolff Stadium was built with public money, in the early 90s.

State of the art NFL stadiums cost about $1 billion. How 'bout we let the billionaire that owns the NFL team that wants to expand here build one?

Old 07-30-2014, 07:07 AM

1,893 posts, read 4,856,376 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bo View Post
When we built the Alamodome, in the hope of attracting an NFL team.

When the Spurs decided they didn't like the Alamodome and threatened to leave unless they got something better.

When Wolff Stadium was built with public money, in the early 90s.

State of the art NFL stadiums cost about $1 billion. How 'bout we let the billionaire that owns the NFL team that wants to expand here build one?
Ditto.

If the Raiders owner thinks that moving his team to SA would be a good deal, fine, let him do it. But finance it with his own money not mine. Let him do what any other business entrepreneur would have to do. Spend some capital to set it up and then hope to make that money back and then some on ticket sales and other related product sales like alcohol, food and souvenirs. If the fans and sponsors are willing to pay the price then it will work if not then it won't work. It should not be subsidized by tax dollars. I'm tired of seeing these billionaires waltz into town and talk our city officials into confiscating money from the citizens to make themselves richer.

Old 07-30-2014, 07:11 AM

1,509 posts, read 1,540,716 times
Unfortunately it'll most likely be with your (and my) money. Most fans are oblivious and want football here at any cost.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or