U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-30-2014, 05:20 AM

1,510 posts, read 1,544,718 times

Advertisements

SAN ANTONIO AT&T announced Tuesday that it will introduce its GigaPower network to the San Antonio market capable of downloading 25 songs in one second, a TV show in three seconds and an HD online movie in 36 seconds though the company did not provide a timetable for the roll-out.
The service also allows customers to watch and record five simultaneous HD streams.

AT&T chooses San Antonio for GigaPower - San Antonio Express-News
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-30-2014, 10:29 AM

818 posts, read 981,281 times
Is it any coincidence that AT&T is introducing Giga Power in the cities that Google Fiber is potentially going?

Old 07-30-2014, 10:31 AM

336 posts, read 413,738 times
Competition is a brilliant thing. Glad to see ATT jump squarely into the game against the incoming Google...

Whoever can get me a 1GB connection first will win my business. I'm getting tired of TWC's supposed 50mbps speed that never seems to be consistent enough to pay through the nose for.

Old 07-30-2014, 10:48 AM

425 posts, read 358,446 times
My u-verse is running at less than half the speed I'm paying for. Maybe adding some Gigabyte will help.

Old 07-30-2014, 11:19 AM

48 posts, read 49,021 times
Grande Communications is also upping their ante. I noticed that their prices are dropping and speeds are increasing. A quick phone call to their customer resulted in a permanent adjustment to my monthly bill, much faster internet speed, more channels, and Showtime and Starz

I think all of the ISP's are scared of Google Fiber...

Old 07-30-2014, 01:19 PM

54 posts, read 170,801 times
How about they increase speeds for MDUs? Will Gigapower help with that?

Old 08-03-2014, 04:44 PM

733 posts, read 863,184 times
ive been having a utilization issue in my area over the last 3 months. basically. TWC oversold their bandwidth and hasnt updated anything on eons. so while i was paying for 30/5, i was usually getting something like 10/5 tops.

the tech i spoke with the longest (over an hour), we chatted about a lot of stuff. half the time, was google fiber, ATT gigapower and TWC's extreme max or w/e theyre calling it now.

thats when he informed me that, free of charge, some time next year ALL TWC customers are getting upgraded free of charge. 15/1 becomes 50/5. 30/5 becomes 75/5 and 50/5 becomes 100+/10?

i forget the exact numbers, but most packages were getting double+ increases in speed at no extra charge.

needless to say, they are scared sh*tless of google fiber. i told them there is no way im staying a TWC customer when i can switch to them. the tech mentioned location and how its not been disclosed. i retorted with 'thats fine, its just me, my SO and our furry army. we will move wherever google lays in fiber first'.

he didnt like that, mentioned something about rent might be too high there? i told him to stop trying so hard. he is a tech who doesnt get paid extra to brown nose TWC. conversation dropped off after that

the really crap part is i see grande tucks down the road on burr, but not here and im less than a mile from there >.>

Old 08-03-2014, 05:05 PM

425 posts, read 513,044 times
GVTC GigaRegion will be here next month... if it's not too ridiculously expensive I'll check it out.

Old 08-04-2014, 06:04 PM

336 posts, read 413,738 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KM1174 View Post
ive been having a utilization issue in my area over the last 3 months. basically. TWC oversold their bandwidth and hasnt updated anything on eons. so while i was paying for 30/5, i was usually getting something like 10/5 tops.

the tech i spoke with the longest (over an hour), we chatted about a lot of stuff. half the time, was google fiber, ATT gigapower and TWC's extreme max or w/e theyre calling it now.

thats when he informed me that, free of charge, some time next year ALL TWC customers are getting upgraded free of charge. 15/1 becomes 50/5. 30/5 becomes 75/5 and 50/5 becomes 100+/10?

i forget the exact numbers, but most packages were getting double+ increases in speed at no extra charge.

needless to say, they are scared sh*tless of google fiber. i told them there is no way im staying a TWC customer when i can switch to them. the tech mentioned location and how its not been disclosed. i retorted with 'thats fine, its just me, my SO and our furry army. we will move wherever google lays in fiber first'.

he didnt like that, mentioned something about rent might be too high there? i told him to stop trying so hard. he is a tech who doesnt get paid extra to brown nose TWC. conversation dropped off after that

the really crap part is i see grande tucks down the road on burr, but not here and im less than a mile from there >.>

I found that giving TWC's modem back to them and using my own a much better, and faster option. I'm now running at the speed I pay for (50/5). For now, it's the fastest thing TWC is offering.

At the end of the day, TWC is going to have to do some educating to customers who don't have a DOCIS 3.0+ modem. You simply can't get higher speeds without it and it's amazing how many people are paying for high speeds, not getting them and eventually figuring out they have the wrong equipment.

Old 08-04-2014, 06:52 PM

1,289 posts, read 3,333,294 times
More choice is ideal, BRING IT ON!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio