U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-02-2014, 11:41 PM

3 posts, read 5,275 times

Advertisements

My wife and I want to get out of California and there is an opening at SAT airport. We were there a couple months ago but only for a few hours so we didn't get too much of a feel for San Antonio.

We would want to live in a smaller town where we could get 10 acres or more for horses, and where I could possibly target shoot on my own property. Our adult kids probably wont be going so it would jut be the two of us.

We commute to work now about 45 min each way so we wouldn't mind doing the same there. We will also probably be working on off commute hour shifts. Any ideas for nice small towns nearby, and how does everyone feel about San Antonio?
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-03-2014, 03:30 AM

424 posts, read 545,362 times
If you want to work at the airport and get a place with enough land, I'd suggest Bulverde or Spring Branch. It's a straight shot on 281 to and from to both.

Old 08-03-2014, 05:09 AM

2,721 posts, read 3,776,481 times
Default Come Visit,

North of San Antonio and South of the city are two different environs so you might want to come and look around a bit instead of taking real estate advice from a screen, there is a real difference.
North of town can be rugged place, beautiful hillsides alright, like the hills of S. California somewhat,
southeast and south of town is not nearly as hilly and less rugged and consists of a more rolling type of terrain.
Then on the other hand there is the commute to consider as the Airport you write of is on the north end of the city and while a commute here across this city is not so bad as the famous traffic jams of S. Ca. it is no picnic either.
The commute north of the city would be easier . Welcome to Old San Antone.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Calif refugee View Post
My wife and I want to get out of California and there is an opening at SAT airport. We were there a couple months ago but only for a few hours so we didn't get too much of a feel for San Antonio.

We would want to live in a smaller town where we could get 10 acres or more for horses, and where I could possibly target shoot on my own property. Our adult kids probably wont be going so it would jut be the two of us.

We commute to work now about 45 min each way so we wouldn't mind doing the same there. We will also probably be working on off commute hour shifts. Any ideas for nice small towns nearby, and how does everyone feel about San Antonio?

Old 08-03-2014, 05:53 PM

3,970 posts, read 4,330,993 times
Northern San Antonio = rugged limestone Hills

Eastern and western San Antonio = general Hills with varying soils.

Floresville, La Vernia, and New Berlin would be my choice for horses.

Old 08-03-2014, 07:05 PM
Bo Bo won $500 in our forum's Most Engaging Poster Contest - Tenth Edition (Apr-May 2014). 

Over $104,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum and additional contests are planned

17,084 posts, read 34,880,801 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by unintentionallyfunny View Post
If you want to work at the airport and get a place with enough land, I'd suggest Bulverde or Spring Branch. It's a straight shot on 281 to and from to both.
That straight shot will likely become a toll road in 5-7 years. I wouldn't recommend to anyone that they move north of the toll area without warning them of that.

Old 08-03-2014, 08:07 PM

7,981 posts, read 10,192,389 times
It would also be a straight shot up from near the Floresville area. 37 turns into 281. That's the area I would be. The land is cheaper and more available. Come a few years from now it won't be with all the oil workers and families commuting south of San Antonio.

Old 08-04-2014, 01:52 AM

424 posts, read 545,362 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bo View Post
That straight shot will likely become a toll road in 5-7 years. I wouldn't recommend to anyone that they move north of the toll area without warning them of that.
A bit overdramatic are you?

Only question small portion of 281 will turn into toll road exclusive. A very small segment in comparison to the drive from.the airport to Bulverde or Spring Branch.

Old 08-04-2014, 06:48 AM
Bo Bo won $500 in our forum's Most Engaging Poster Contest - Tenth Edition (Apr-May 2014). 

Over $104,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum and additional contests are planned

17,084 posts, read 34,880,801 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by unintentionallyfunny View Post
A bit overdramatic are you?
I don't know the OP's economic situation or position on toll roads and neither do you, but I think it's important to give someone who doesn't know the area and is looking for a place to live a full disclosure of the costs of choosing to live one place versus another.

I do know that a 281 toll road is the closest thing to a certainty that there is in San Antonio-area politics right now. It's no longer a question of if it will happen, it's a question of when it will happen. That toll will affect the cost of living in that area.

Old 08-04-2014, 09:35 AM

6,145 posts, read 7,231,548 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bo View Post
I don't know the OP's economic situation or position on toll roads and neither do you, but I think it's important to give someone who doesn't know the area and is looking for a place to live a full disclosure of the costs of choosing to live one place versus another.

I do know that a 281 toll road is the closest thing to a certainty that there is in San Antonio-area politics right now. It's no longer a question of if it will happen, it's a question of when it will happen. That toll will affect the cost of living in that area.
I would not be surprised if it happens in less than 5 years from now. Making 281 a toll road around those parts makes total sense to me now, but I hate the way the goverment is making it happen. Feels dirty.

If someone wants to stop any future changes out there, just drop an endangered spider or two out there.

Old 08-04-2014, 10:11 AM

3 posts, read 5,275 times
Thanks for the tips, were looking at real estate sites now. I'd need to put in for transfer this week so we don't really have much chance to go look at the areas. We would just need to roll the dice and then I could look for properties when I moved in 6 weeks or so, providing I got the job. Anyone know much about riding trails? There seems to be more private land in Texas than other states we looked at.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio