Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-06-2014, 08:06 PM

7 posts, read 14,263 times

Advertisements

My wife and I are considering relocating from suburban Dallas to Downtown SA. We both are college educated and have progressive political views.(big fans of the Castro brothers!) San Antonio has a mixed voting record, so I guess , just how liberal/conservative is San Antonio? Thanks
No rude comments please, keep this positive. Thank you

p.s - Would my Spanish speaking abilites help me at all? Thanks
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-06-2014, 09:11 PM

9,851 posts, read 13,698,680 times
It really depends on where you are in the city. You will run into liberals and conservatives no matter where you are. More liberals frequently live in the downtown area, but I do know liberals in the suburban area as well.

And the Spanish will help depending on your field, medical, social, and sales/retail it will help for sure. I am the only Spanish speaking person on my team to speak Spanish and was compensated for that. At my previous place of employment I got a $500 extra year for it. It just depends, as I mentioned before. I have in the social service field.

Old 08-07-2014, 06:07 AM

4,307 posts, read 9,556,254 times
AS a voting bloc, the city is leans slightly more Democrat than Republican in major elections. Local politics are less partisan, despite our former mayor.

Within the city, there are significant pockets. You could easily feel like the only liberal in some places or the only conservative in other places.

Old 08-07-2014, 06:31 AM

2,721 posts, read 4,391,187 times
Default Very Interesting Post,

Yes and an interesting question posed there. There will be a mixture of political views that you will encounter here. I personally have liked Gov. Perry and his moderate political stance. Plus, he can be hilarious on camera.
Yes the Castro boys are up and running. A political phenomenon they are doing well, who knows,
they are very young politicians ?
South Texas can be a backwards place , socially speaking. So you will encounter probably persons vehemently opposed to your (our) progressive political views as though there is not space enough for both ( Of Course there is room here but it will take more time for Texans to adjust, they accept this political reality already but are holding fast) . It should be obvious by now.
As though there is only one way we ought to think, the old way. Right ....the U.S. is changing.
Rapidly. We are both a conservative and progressive mixture and without another Alamo Battle downtown it will stay this way.

San Antonio has a majority of people with a progressive outlook. Interestingly, we are inundated within
a sea of rural conservatives here in San Antonio. Circle the wagons.
This makes for a very interesting political mix. A change in a street name to a hispanic name will bring out floods of acrimony.

San Antonians; We all know this -but in the middle of a Beer and B.S. session the public relations ploy of that Texas Mystique will emerge with that stance of, " The South will rise again! " attitude. Merely watch your step and don't plant your feet in any of it.
We STILL may secede from the U.S. you know.
Keep San Antonio Lame.

Welcome to Old San Antone where things amusingly and interestingly, change very slowly.
Bienvenidos a San Antonio!

Quote:
Originally Posted by sunandwaves View Post
My wife and I are considering relocating from suburban Dallas to Downtown SA. We both are college educated and have progressive political views.(big fans of the Castro brothers!) San Antonio has a mixed voting record, so I guess , just how liberal/conservative is San Antonio? Thanks
No rude comments please, keep this positive. Thank you

p.s - Would my Spanish speaking abilites help me at all? Thanks

Old 08-07-2014, 07:17 AM
Bo Bo won $500 in our forum's Most Engaging Poster Contest - Tenth Edition (Apr-May 2014). 

Over $104,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum and additional contests are planned

17,107 posts, read 38,111,983 times
The map of city council districts is a good shorthand way to understand local politics. Districts 9 and 10 dependably elect Republicans. District 8 can go either way, but is currently represented by a conservative Democrat. The other 7 dependably elect Democrats and are all represented by liberals.

Old 08-07-2014, 07:20 AM

1,807 posts, read 2,970,175 times
I live in the downtown area, and it tends to be more liberal then other areas of town. Dallas is more conservative then San Antonio, so you will be fine.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio