Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-22-2007, 08:26 AM

14,637 posts, read 35,016,965 times

Advertisements

While I don't blame Nickelodeon for Jamie's pregnancy, now that she is pregnant they need to let her move on and suffer the consequences of her actions. She was a major star of a major kids show, and now that she is facing adult situations she has no place being on NickTV, who tout themselves as being entertainment for kids. They need to be boycotted if they keep her name, image, or anything associated with Jamie on that channel. She is no longer a fresh-faced teen full of innocence and it would be disgusting if they keep paying her to be out in front of my 11 year old (who happens to have a freakin' huge monster crush on her.)

Do I think she needs to be ostracized for becoming pregnant? No, not at all. And I am glad she is not out there telling people she had an abortion. However, I don't think she should a star be on a kids' network any longer. I'm sure MTV will be calling soon with a reality TV show offer.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-22-2007, 08:36 AM

1,066 posts, read 3,692,324 times
STop and think about this for a minute. If you were truly old fashion...having a baby at the age of 16 or 13 would be completely normal. Remember, when the bible was written...people were married and had kids by the time they were 13-15..and usually died by the age of 35. So if if our bodies are designed to have kids at a certain age...what is wrong with it.........

The problem with it in modern times is a basic fact...Typically, a pregnant teenager won't finish school, won't attend or graduate from college and probably will not have a good job (I know there a few exceptions). It will be difficult for her to support herself and take care of her child at the same time, unless she has a lot of money. Which is the case with Jamie Lynn, I am sure she makes a decent income from her show, not to mention her sister reportedly makes $700K a month off royalities/endorsement....in other words...doing nothing. So besides the premarital sex, is there anything really wrong with her having a baby, if she can afford it?

Old 12-22-2007, 08:45 AM

14,637 posts, read 35,016,965 times
But how many 16 year olds can afford it? And how many 12 and 13 year olds try to emulate these "role models" and end up pregnant, dropped out of school, and then in jail for smothering these children because they don't have the necessary life skills to deal with a crying child?

Yes, physically they are able and they're probably better equipped to handle childbirth. It would be nice to go ahead and get the babies out of the way and still be in your 30's when they're grown.

Mentally? No freakin' way. Babies are pretty demanding. You can't just lay them down while you go out partying with your friends who chose not to get pregnant.

Financially? No way. Especially because of today's society that says you are entitled to an Escalade and Coach purses, and vacations in glamorous places. These babies come, and they get a slap in the face when they see how much a simple bag of diapers costs.

Old 12-22-2007, 02:26 PM

2,027 posts, read 7,023,204 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Paka View Post
We raised 5 girls, and ONE boy...and spoke to them ALL about safe, responsible sex. We did not play stupid and KNEW that sex, urges and feeling were all part of growing up and told them so....but again, when you have this 16 yr old "Paris Hilton" type of airhead get knocked up at 16 (and quotes from her and her boyfriend were "We are in shock...we totally did not expect this") HOW is a TV show of them running from place to place on Rodeo Drive buying designer cribs and outfits going to do ANYTHING except glamorize the situation. I am sure there will be a "star studded" babyshower with Tiffany & Co rattles and such. Tell me how you feel this type of "hype" would have helped this poor child from your hometown that took her own life feel ANY better about her situation. As sad as it is, this latest version of a "reality" show would not have helped her feel better about herself or the situation. It is like saying because Hulk Hogan has a "family" show and so does "Ozzy Osborne" that THEY are role model families to emulate. Thanks, but not thanks!
Sorry my comment was a little off-topic. I was referring more to how many people in today's society act on the issue of sex with teenagers. As far as the show goes I had never even heard of it (until now), and I don't know anything about Spears. Apparently this show has already finished filming its final season which will air sometime early next year. The network has discussed the situation with Linda Ellerbee, who has done shows dealing with difficult issues such as Clinton's affair and the Columbine shootings. If that is the case I don't believe they would be glamorizing 16-year old pregnancy, just as they didn't glamorize Clinton's actions or the shootings.

Old 01-23-2008, 08:01 PM

1 posts, read 1,375 times
Default Please Read

Well I Just Had To Voice My Opinion Here.I Think That This Should Go As A Lesson To Nickalodeon To Not Let Teenagers Play Kiddie Roles On Nick.Especially When It's Brittany Spears Little Sister.Really Do You Want Your Kids Acting Like Teenagers Or Kids.i Would Want My Kids Acting Like Kids As Long As They Are Kids.I Think It Is A Bunch Of Bs When Nickalodeon Want To Talk About Sex With Kids When That's Not Their Jobs.that's The Parents Job.What They Should Do Is Just Get Somebody Else To Play Zoey Maybe Somebody Younger.And I Only Say That So That Everybody Else From Cast Wont Loose Their Jobs Because Of Somebody Else's Screw Ups.any Way I Think Jaime Lynn Knows She's Out Of A Job Now Since She Did Say She Want's To Go Back To Louisanna And Stay Out Of The Media.So I Say Let Her And Nickalodeon Does'nt Have To Explain Anything To Anyone.All They Need To Do Is Replace Her Just Like They Whould Do With Any Other Show.

Old 01-23-2008, 08:11 PM

3,503 posts, read 19,878,952 times
I applaud the responsible parents here who have been open and educating about sex with thier kids. However, teen pregnancy is rampant and parents are NOT in the picture.
I'll wait to see what kind of educating they plan to do before judging that Nicleodeon is going to glamorize sex and babies.
I see these kids at 15 and 16 pregnant and have no idea of what thier responsiblility will be with a wee one.
Boys and girls both....girls preg and boys with deer in the headlights look. The role models kids have today are not very good, maybe it's time for TV to take over some parenting roles.

Old 01-23-2008, 08:29 PM

1,425 posts, read 3,314,162 times
Wow, I actually agree with Insomniac on something!

Old 01-24-2008, 07:39 AM

472 posts, read 1,791,900 times
Ok I have been saying this for years and I’m sure this will upset some folks but I feel that it should be mandatory that all girls under 18 be on birth control. Once they turn 18 and are adults they can then decide for themselves if they want to get pregnant.
I mean lets be realistic, teenager have sex. Does that shock anyone?
It is so sad to see young people’s lives taken away just because they have to become parents.
San Antonio has to be one of the cities with the most teen parents. How many grandparents are there in this city that are in their 30s? Quite a few I bet.
If we can’t educate our children then we should protect them.

Old 01-24-2008, 08:18 AM

454 posts, read 504,823 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dube665 View Post
Ok I have been saying this for years and I’m sure this will upset some folks but I feel that it should be mandatory that all girls under 18 be on birth control. Once they turn 18 and are adults they can then decide for themselves if they want to get pregnant.
I mean lets be realistic, teenager have sex. Does that shock anyone?
It is so sad to see young people’s lives taken away just because they have to become parents.
San Antonio has to be one of the cities with the most teen parents. How many grandparents are there in this city that are in their 30s? Quite a few I bet.
If we can’t educate our children then we should protect them.
The problem with mandatory birth control (aside from the health effects), is that it takes the decision making away from the teenagers. As budding adults, part of the learning process is that their actions have consequences, and they have the choice to make decisions which yield positive outcomes, rather than negative ones. They need to learn to make those decisions, not have the decision forced upon them.

And yes, I can't recall if we're actually #1 on teen pregnancy, but we're close.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio