U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 

Old 12-23-2007, 04:24 PM

925 posts, read 74,883 times
Really, so are you saying SA isn't doing anything to try and fix the human problem? Really? News flash Kevin, there's a nearly 50 million dollar complex going up just west of downtown called the Haven for Hope. It will be for the homeless, it will offer beds, meals, medical assistance, job training, counseling, etc. It will be the largest homeless facility in the state of Texas. No other place in Texas has this or is planning anything like this. FYI, The SAMM shelter will close and all personnel will relocate to this new facility.

San Antonio is taking the steps that are bettering this city. The new city shelter for animals will not only be no-kill, it'll be bigger and have more amenities for the animals. The city is adding city parks, the city is improving the streets and roads that need improving, the city is doing the best job in all of Texas at helping the homeless, the city is adding to the Riverwalk and making sure the new addition is created primarily for the locals who live downtown. I'm sure with all that you'll still find something to whine and complain about.

Last edited by Insomniac; 12-23-2007 at 05:05 PM..
Quick reply to this message

Old 12-23-2007, 05:03 PM

2,368 posts, read 3,431,680 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kevinm_03 View Post
I was born here and since I can remember downtown has looked the same. This isn't just about buildings. It's also the fact that downtown litterally stinks. What are you talking about? Downtown San ANtonio sucks. Character and charm? Where? I smell urine, see old ugly buildings that are vacant, the riverwalk smells like "hot-steamy-garbage", and all the city cares about is accomodating toruist. What about the locals? Austin is very focused on the locals, but also the tourist. Their river doesn't smell like trash either. Shopping isn't so important, there is other things to do. Austin offers much more for their local residents.

The Riverwalk is lush green and beautiful! Downtown overall is clean and safe. Very few vacant buildings. "Hot steamy Garbage?" Lol, keep telling yourself that. It is the number one destination, in the second largest state.

Old 12-23-2007, 05:09 PM

1,393 posts, read 2,120,195 times
I have lived in SA since I was "knee high to a grasshopper." I like alot of things about SA. The cost of living, the weather, the greenery, the old architecture, the casual living... to name a few. I just wish the city had taken us in the direction of big business instead of tourism. Yeah, tourism created alot of service related, low paying jobs (that is why we have poverty)... big business would have created a cosmopolitan type atmosphere downtown with alot of growth in every direction. Instead we ended up with a little strip of river as "our claim to fame"... and alot of tourist. Poor city planning took us in that direction. So you can't do anything about the past mistakes made... how about getting big business downtown again, focus on urban living but first make it comfortable for someone to live there (a grocery store would be a first good step), take all those great old vacant buildings and turn them into lofts or family dwellings, how about a decent school for the kids, in other words... all the comforts and conveinences we have in our northside neighborhoods only downtown. I love the old DT architecture and I don't see why we don't take advantage of all this beauty right under our nose. The new and old mix well together. I have no problem with progress. But the people with the money are spending it elsewhere and not downtown. Progress just keeps moving farther north and there is no stopping the momentum. But if you got real jobs downtown and real people living downtown with real conveniences it would be a wonderful sight to behold. All we have now is the river and the tourist and alot of vacant old buildings going to ruin. I don't want to keep SA lame.

Old 12-23-2007, 05:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cookiemeister View Post
I have lived in SA since I was "knee high to a grasshopper." I like alot of things about SA. The cost of living, the weather, the greenery, the old architecture, the casual living... to name a few. I just wish the city had taken us in the direction of big business instead of tourism. Yeah, tourism created alot of service related, low paying jobs (that is why we have poverty)... big business would have created a cosmopolitan type atmosphere downtown with alot of growth in every direction. Instead we ended up with a little strip of river as "our claim to fame"... and alot of tourist. Poor city planning took us in that direction. So you can't do anything about the past mistakes made... how about getting big business downtown again, focus on urban living but first make it comfortable for someone to live there (a grocery store would be a first good step), take all those great old vacant buildings and turn them into lofts or family dwellings, how about a decent school for the kids, in other words... all the comforts and conveinences we have in our northside neighborhoods only downtown. I love the old DT architecture and I don't see why we don't take advantage of all this beauty right under our nose. The new and old mix well together. I have no problem with progress. But the people with the money are spending it elsewhere and not downtown. Progress just keeps moving farther north and there is no stopping the momentum. But if you got real jobs downtown and real people living downtown with real conveniences it would be a wonderful sight to behold. All we have now is the river and the tourist and alot of vacant old buildings going to ruin. I don't want to keep SA lame.
Please space to make paragraphs, reading big blocks is not only painful to the eyes, it's annoying.

With that said, how can you even say SA never went after big business? SA went after SBC (now at&t), Toyota, Microsoft, etc. Even with that, without fostering and help from the city companies such as USAA, Valero, Clear Channel, Rackspace, Tesoro wouldn't be the successes they are today or they may not be here now. San Antonio is a tourist hot spot because of the Alamo and the Riverwalk not because the city created some magical advertising campaign. You're going to get a lot of tourist with those two alone not to mention the theme parks. Las Vegas is a place that lives off tourism, its it life blood and without it Las Vegas would be still be a shack in the desert. If it works for Las Vegas, let it. There's nothing inherently evil about tourism.

But even with that San Antonio has been able to diversity its economy with the Military, Healthcare and Bioscience, Financing and now Manufacturing. That's excluding tourism which is larger than New Orleans tourism but not even the first or second in SA in a economic generating ranking.

Old 12-23-2007, 07:35 PM

2,368 posts, read 3,431,680 times
My goodness, these forumers must be living on another planet. I thought by now, San Antonio would be looked at differently. Tourism ranks 4th for impact on the economy. BTW, Well said Insomniac!

Old 12-23-2007, 08:47 PM

Smile Viva San Antonio

Quote:
Originally Posted by Insomniac View Post
Please space to make paragraphs, reading big blocks is not only painful to the eyes, it's annoying.

With that said, how can you even say SA never went after big business? SA went after SBC (now at&t), Toyota, Microsoft, etc. Even with that, without fostering and help from the city companies such as USAA, Valero, Clear Channel, Rackspace, Tesoro wouldn't be the successes they are today or they may not be here now. San Antonio is a tourist hot spot because of the Alamo and the Riverwalk not because the city created some magical advertising campaign. You're going to get a lot of tourist with those two alone not to mention the theme parks. Las Vegas is a place that lives off tourism, its it life blood and without it Las Vegas would be still be a shack in the desert. If it works for Las Vegas, let it. There's nothing inherently evil about tourism.

But even with that San Antonio has been able to diversity its economy with the Military, Healthcare and Bioscience, Financing and now Manufacturing. That's excluding tourism which is larger than New Orleans tourism but not even the first or second in SA in a economic generating ranking.
I may have my facts wrong but I thought it was an advertising campaign. I think Cisneros was the creative director. I recall Red McCombs and Hardberger discussing this issue on KLRN many years ago. Pretty much they were in agreement that the emphasis on tourism created an economy based on low paying service industry type jobs. Any jobs are good but some are better than others. I think it was said by these gentleman that SA would never become a cosmopolitan type city due to the focus on an economy based on tourism. Hey, you gotta start somewhere. Tourism was better than nothing. According to these folk we did not "wine and dine" big business during a time when we should have. "Politics make for strange bedfellows". I think we could have done alot better but what do I know... I am from another planet. Too bad they don't have any alien icons I could use.

Old 12-23-2007, 08:53 PM

Quote:
I may have my facts wrong but I thought it was an advertising campaign. I think Cisneros was the creative director. I recall Red McCombs and Hardberger discussing this issue on KLRN many years ago. Pretty much they were in agreement that the emphasis on tourism created an economy based on low paying service industry type jobs. Any jobs are good but some are better than others. I think it was said by these gentleman that SA would never become a cosmopolitan type city due to the focus on an economy based on tourism. Hey, you gotta start somewhere. Tourism was better than nothing. According to these folk we did not "wine and dine" big business during a time when we should have. "Politics make for strange bedfellows". I think we could have done alot better but what do I know... I am from another planet. Too bad they don't have any alien icons I could use.
I never watched that interview so I can't comment on what they said. The hard facts are that SA isn't centered or focused on tourism. Like I said, San Antonio has a very diverse economy and it's becoming stronger and more diverse every week.

Old 12-23-2007, 08:54 PM

In regards to the homeless all I have to say is "There for the grace of God go I" and I am not no religious fanatic. I am glad they found them a home on the far westside.

Old 12-23-2007, 08:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Insomniac View Post
I never watch that interview so I can't comment on what they said. The hard facts are that SA isn't centered or focused on tourism. Like I said, San Antonio has a very diverse economy and it's becoming stronger and more diverse every week.
Yes, I agree it is getting better... slowly but surely! Merry Christmas!

Old 12-23-2007, 09:01 PM

Quote:
In regards to the homeless all I have to say is "There for the grace of God go I" and I am not no religious fanatic. I am glad they found them a home on the far westside.
Haven for Hope will be on the near west side/inner west side not far west side. It'll be about a mile northwest of the current SAMM shelter.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio