Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-11-2009, 07:13 AM

85 posts, read 200,991 times

Advertisements

Does anyone know why school zone lights are still flashing in the morning?

It seems like school is out for the summer, and it's annoying to drive 20 mph past Clark High School every day.

I'm hoping that it's for a legitimate reason like summer school and not just because someone forgot to turn them off.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-11-2009, 07:44 AM

1,051 posts, read 2,541,013 times
I heard on the news that summer school starts up this week so I am sure that is the reason the lights are flashing.

Old 06-11-2009, 08:13 AM

4,796 posts, read 15,360,321 times
Luckyg is right. Not sure about all schools. They used to leave them on all summer and on weekends!

Old 06-11-2009, 08:23 AM

23 posts, read 61,533 times
The flashing lights, I can deal with but what I want to know about are the static signs that say slow to 20 mph whether there is school or no school. The parking lot looks deserted but the sign says slow to 20 do we really need to?

Old 06-11-2009, 08:35 AM

4,796 posts, read 15,360,321 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by shinerdrinker View Post
The flashing lights, I can deal with but what I want to know about are the static signs that say slow to 20 mph whether there is school or no school. The parking lot looks deserted but the sign says slow to 20 do we really need to?
This was the only logical explanation given to me for that very same question.
I was told they do enforce them as a continual reminder for "school zone awareness". I know...sounds like overkill, or an excuse to pop a few speeders for some easy $$....but the idea is that if it changes back and fourth, drivers that don't have kids may not be aware of when school starts and ends. It just keeps the "zone" protected year round. Plus many schools do have after school programs, summers school, Saturday school, and evening meetings and performances. No one could monitor the hours of the day that those times fluctuate. Having it on one day and off another would drive me batty.

So...yes...the static signs sort of serve that same purpose and are a lot less expensive.

Old 06-11-2009, 08:26 PM

707 posts, read 1,844,955 times
Summer school did start this week; however, not all schools have summer school. My neighborhood school doesn't have summer school, but the sign was flashing this morning. So my guess is that they keep the signs on year-round.

Old 06-11-2009, 09:14 PM

77 posts, read 221,395 times
Steele HS just down the road from me has their speed zone lights on year round, though with different times during the summer. The word I heard from the Schertz PD is that the school Principal makes the call on the active times for the speed zone, so some schools are more restrictive than others. The Officer that said this also said he exercised some 'discretion' during the summer. Obviously that doesn't apply to all officers in all PDs. That being said, while I'm paranoid about school zones during the school year, when summer rolls around I treat them about the same as I do stop signs in my subdivision. So far so good.

Old 06-11-2009, 09:21 PM

707 posts, read 1,844,955 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sc hokie View Post
That being said, while I'm paranoid about school zones during the school year, when summer rolls around I treat them about the same as I do stop signs in my subdivision. So far so good.
Dear goodness, I HOPE that means you obey stop signs in your subdivision.

Secondly, I hope you know exactly which schools in your district are open for summer school, so you know which zones to ignore.

Sorry to be a wench but have you even watched the news lately? There are WAY too many accidents to be cavalier about traffic signs.

Old 06-21-2009, 02:15 PM

3 posts, read 5,934 times
I was told the school zone lights are on one big circuit. As long a one school has summer school all lights will contunue to blink.... So yes you need to slow down in school zones... BESIDES "The smokies will get you if you don't watch out!!"
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio