Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-17-2009, 07:44 AM
RGJ

1,903 posts, read 4,734,315 times

Advertisements

Bulverde Village at Classen/Bulverde Rd south of 1604 is starting the groundwork. HEB and Target(I think it's Target) are planned for the northwest and northeast corners of Bulverde and 1604. Hopefully, the streets will be finished by the time these stores open..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-17-2009, 09:46 AM

1,807 posts, read 2,970,175 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RGJ View Post
Bulverde Village at Classen/Bulverde Rd south of 1604 is starting the groundwork. HEB and Target(I think it's Target) are planned for the northwest and northeast corners of Bulverde and 1604. Hopefully, the streets will be finished by the time these stores open..
That HEB sounds great, real close to my house. It just sucks seeing more land cleared.

Old 11-17-2009, 10:00 AM

Location: 281 north of 1604 - otherwise known as traffic hell
450 posts, read 1,599,214 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by imaterry78259 View Post
I heard that they found caves under the Bulverde/ Evan Rds area and that will halt any constructions for two years until the scientist can investigate it
please please please tell me that this isn't true.

Old 11-17-2009, 10:53 AM
RGJ

Survey crew was at the intersection of Bulverde and 1604 this morning, so something must be fixing to happen. I would guess that it won't be long before Bulverde Rd north of 1604 will have an explosion of growth in a very short period of tiime.

Old 11-17-2009, 11:05 AM

1,314 posts, read 3,178,320 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mindystevens View Post
With how much property taxes we are paying living off these streets, these roads should have been paved in Gold 10 years ago. Maybe we should give some kids some crayons and draw up better plans! Again, ten years ago these roads needed to be wider. Lets build 10 more subdivisions and two more schools so it can take us an hour to drive 3 miles! Toll roads are not the answer we will suffer greatly for this mistake. It's sad to see that our public servants hoard lobby money for the toll roads and screw the tax payers who don't want them! I'm voting out people in the coming election!
Here we go with the demagoguery again. Just because you pay property taxes doesn't mean there's enough money to fix everything. That's like saying that just because you get a salary of $40K a year you should be able to buy everything you want. Despite what you think, tax revenue is a finite resource, and the list of needs in this city (and most, for that matter) is long and expensive, so projects are prioritized. And I'm not sure what you're referring to about "better plans"-- most of what's out there now on Bulverde is the original road that was there when it was way out in the country, and it was more than adequate.

As for toll roads, that's been discussed ad naseum here by myself and others. But here's a quick recap-- gas taxes are not sufficient to build the big expensive projects like 281 any more because the state's gas tax has not been increased since 1991 (federal not since 1993-- same problem). That means that inflation and better MPG of vehicles has decreased its value to the point that it's about 11 cents behind where it should be based on inflation (the state's tax itself is 20 cents). Meanwhile, 25% of the gas-tax automatically goes to public education per the state's constitution, and the Legislature diverts 10% or more each year to DPS and other non-transportation expenditures. Because the Leg has refused to fix that, local entities have used the only tool left in their toolbox to try and get some of these projects done, and that tool is tolling.

Quote:
I heard that they found caves under the Bulverde/ Evan Rds area and that will halt any constructions for two years until the scientist can investigate it
I had not heard that, but I wouldn't be surprised. There are lots of karst features in that area, and if they happened to find one while surveying, federal and state environmental laws require them to fully document it and then determine what mitigation needs to take place before the road can be built-- that's a non-trivial process. I don't actually have a contact for that project, but I'll see if I can get confirmation on that report.

Old 11-18-2009, 05:25 AM

3,247 posts, read 9,051,760 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TexHwyMan View Post
Here we go with the demagoguery again. Just because you pay property taxes doesn't mean there's enough money to fix everything. That's like saying that just because you get a salary of $40K a year you should be able to buy everything you want. Despite what you think, tax revenue is a finite resource, and the list of needs in this city (and most, for that matter) is long and expensive, so projects are prioritized. And I'm not sure what you're referring to about "better plans"-- most of what's out there now on Bulverde is the original road that was there when it was way out in the country, and it was more than adequate.

As for toll roads, that's been discussed ad naseum here by myself and others. But here's a quick recap-- gas taxes are not sufficient to build the big expensive projects like 281 any more because the state's gas tax has not been increased since 1991 (federal not since 1993-- same problem). That means that inflation and better MPG of vehicles has decreased its value to the point that it's about 11 cents behind where it should be based on inflation (the state's tax itself is 20 cents). Meanwhile, 25% of the gas-tax automatically goes to public education per the state's constitution, and the Legislature diverts 10% or more each year to DPS and other non-transportation expenditures. Because the Leg has refused to fix that, local entities have used the only tool left in their toolbox to try and get some of these projects done, and that tool is tolling.

I had not heard that, but I wouldn't be surprised. There are lots of karst features in that area, and if they happened to find one while surveying, federal and state environmental laws require them to fully document it and then determine what mitigation needs to take place before the road can be built-- that's a non-trivial process. I don't actually have a contact for that project, but I'll see if I can get confirmation on that report.

Thanks for looking into it. When I first move into the area, I could almost take a nap on Bulverde Rd north of 1604, now I am crawling at 3 miles per hour just to get home

Old 11-18-2009, 05:01 PM

418 posts, read 1,240,125 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mindystevens View Post
With how much property taxes we are paying living off these streets, these roads should have been paved in Gold 10 years ago. Maybe we should give some kids some crayons and draw up better plans! Again, ten years ago these roads needed to be wider. Lets build 10 more subdivisions and two more schools so it can take us an hour to drive 3 miles! Toll roads are not the answer we will suffer greatly for this mistake. It's sad to see that our public servants hoard lobby money for the toll roads and screw the tax payers who don't want them! I'm voting out people in the coming election!
who are you voting in?

Old 01-19-2010, 10:00 AM

1,314 posts, read 3,178,320 times
Default Bulverde Rd. project on schedule; work starts next month

Quote:
Sorry it took so long, but I did finally get a response on this.

Yes, there is a cave in the right-of-way, but it is not expected to delay the project. The city is working with US Fish & Wildlife to determine what actions they need to take during construction to protect it.

Utility work is expected to start next month and the entire project is scheduled to be completed in early 2013. They will be expanding the road to six lanes plus a center turn lane at intersections.

Old 01-19-2010, 01:54 PM

432 posts, read 3,659,272 times
Have you guys noticed how the bulverde/evans intersection is bascially falling apart? They keep patching it up but with every rain the potholes get bigger and deeper. I can't even avoid them anymore!

Old 01-19-2010, 01:58 PM
RGJ

Bulverde Rd sure is nice around the Johnson High school area, though. Maybe they are just patching it knowing it's going to be totally reworked....
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio