U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-22-2007, 08:37 AM

17 posts, read 76,451 times

Advertisements

I live in the area and am growing weary of the parking lot crawl that occurs for several hours each day.
I was told in Feb of 2007 that
"1. Bulverde Road Phase 1 - widen the section from the Evans/Bulverde intersection North to Marshall Road to two lanes in each direction with a continuous center left turn lane, three foot shoulders on each side and drainage improvements. Construction of this phase is anticipated to begin second quarter, 2007 with completion within one year." Here we are in Dec 2007...

Does anyone know how I can find out why nothing is happening/how I can help in voicing the need for action?? It seems that a bank can be built in 6 weeks, an apartment complex in 4, but we can't even get the potholes on our one lane roads repaired.
If you are interested, here are the remaining phases that are/were/perhaps scrapped. oh, maybe the projects are stopped because Bulverde is going to become a toll road : )

"2. Bulverde Road Phase 2 - widen a 1.5 mile section from Marshall Road North to the intersection with State Hwy 281 to include two lanes in each direction with a center left turn lane, three foot shoulders on each side and drainage improvements. Construction date to be determined.

3. Bulverde Road Phase 3 - widen a 3.8 mile section from Hwy 1604 North to the Evans/Bulverde intersection to include two lanes in each direction with a center left turn lane and bicycle lanes. Funding for this project is shared between Lumbermans, the City and Bexar County. Project funding is partially dependent upon the new City bond issue passing. Environmental clearances are complete. Construction completion is anticipated to be 2-3 years away.

4. Evans/Bulverde Road Intersection - the project will extend from the intersection to 500 ft in each direction along Evans and Bulverde road. Costs are to be shared between the City and County. If the City bond issue fails to pass then the County will probably do the project on their own. Improvements will widen Evans East of the intersection to four lanes with a center left turn lane and four foot shoulders. West of the intersection Evans Road will be four lanes with a center median. Bulverde Road North and South of the intersection will consist of four lanes with a center 14 foot median, including curb, gutter and storm drains. Completion estimated to be 1-2 years."
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-22-2007, 10:16 AM

3,219 posts, read 7,987,284 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by breathe View Post
I live in the area and am growing weary of the parking lot crawl that occurs for several hours each day.
I was told in Feb of 2007 that
"1. Bulverde Road Phase 1 - widen the section from the Evans/Bulverde intersection North to Marshall Road to two lanes in each direction with a continuous center left turn lane, three foot shoulders on each side and drainage improvements. Construction of this phase is anticipated to begin second quarter, 2007 with completion within one year." Here we are in Dec 2007...

Does anyone know how I can find out why nothing is happening/how I can help in voicing the need for action?? It seems that a bank can be built in 6 weeks, an apartment complex in 4, but we can't even get the potholes on our one lane roads repaired.
If you are interested, here are the remaining phases that are/were/perhaps scrapped. oh, maybe the projects are stopped because Bulverde is going to become a toll road : )

"2. Bulverde Road Phase 2 - widen a 1.5 mile section from Marshall Road North to the intersection with State Hwy 281 to include two lanes in each direction with a center left turn lane, three foot shoulders on each side and drainage improvements. Construction date to be determined.

3. Bulverde Road Phase 3 - widen a 3.8 mile section from Hwy 1604 North to the Evans/Bulverde intersection to include two lanes in each direction with a center left turn lane and bicycle lanes. Funding for this project is shared between Lumbermans, the City and Bexar County. Project funding is partially dependent upon the new City bond issue passing. Environmental clearances are complete. Construction completion is anticipated to be 2-3 years away.

4. Evans/Bulverde Road Intersection - the project will extend from the intersection to 500 ft in each direction along Evans and Bulverde road. Costs are to be shared between the City and County. If the City bond issue fails to pass then the County will probably do the project on their own. Improvements will widen Evans East of the intersection to four lanes with a center left turn lane and four foot shoulders. West of the intersection Evans Road will be four lanes with a center median. Bulverde Road North and South of the intersection will consist of four lanes with a center 14 foot median, including curb, gutter and storm drains. Completion estimated to be 1-2 years."

The funds all go diverted to education

Old 12-23-2007, 09:35 AM

9 posts, read 47,238 times
See my comment under the "Evans and Bulverde" thread. Same question...how did the funding get diverted to education?

Old 12-23-2007, 10:36 AM

3,183 posts, read 7,413,016 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by imaterry78259 View Post
The funds all go diverted to education
The bond passed by NEISD is a separate issue.

Old 12-23-2007, 11:49 AM

9 posts, read 47,238 times
Default traffic Bulverde Road/Evans?

Quote:
Originally Posted by BEE90 View Post
See my comment under the "Evans and Bulverde" thread. Same question...how did the funding get diverted to education?
This was a rhetorical question. What I stated in the "Evans and Bulverde" thread was that the two phases of the Bulverde Rd expansion (1604 to Evans and Evans to Marshall) are funded by the city bond that passed back in May. As "pobre" stated, this is a separate issue from the NEISD bond.

I have been meaning to research what the construction timelines are for the two phases of the Bulverde Rd expansion, but haven't taken the time to do so. I have noticed some survey work being done along the Evans to Marshall stretch of Bulverde Rd. Like "breathe" I would like to know what is the timetable for the expansion.

Old 12-23-2007, 08:05 PM

17 posts, read 76,451 times
well, Bee, I guess there is no answer. I too live in the area and am pretty frustrated by the lack of developmental infrastracture planning that we are tolerating. My next step is to start calling the county commisioner's office and the nearest district councilman to to try to learn more.

Old 12-23-2007, 09:03 PM

925 posts, read 892,987 times
Well, I hope construction starts soon on Bulverde Road because two large shopping centers are planned at 1604 and Bulverde.

Old 12-23-2007, 09:08 PM

925 posts, read 892,987 times
Here's what the city has on the Bulverde project:

Quote:
Bulverde Road (Loop 1604 to Marshall Road) LF $30,306,000
Reconstruct and widen Bulverde Road, with curbs, sidewalks, driveway approaches, and necessary drainage and traffic signal improvements. The project also includes the installation of bike facilities. The total cost for this project is currently estimated to be $36.6 million, with the City’s share expected to equal approximately 83% of this cost.
This will be five miles (1604 to Marshall) so I'd venture to guess a few (2-3) years of construction.

Old 01-13-2008, 09:51 PM

30 posts, read 99,084 times
It seems that starting roads in SA is easy...it's finishing them that we have issue with!! Case in point...Warzbauch parkway Can you please tell me why they fund the beginning of these projects if they are not going to finish them...geeeezzzzz I'm frustrated with transportion in this city!

Old 02-14-2008, 01:22 PM

1,314 posts, read 2,771,295 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jams33 View Post
It seems that starting roads in SA is easy...it's finishing them that we have issue with!! Case in point...Warzbauch parkway Can you please tell me why they fund the beginning of these projects if they are not going to finish them...geeeezzzzz I'm frustrated with transportion in this city!
Large projects, like the Wurzbach Pkwy, are typically broken into smaller projects because of funding contraints. The San Antonio area only gets so much transportation funding each year, so when they have enough money to build part of a project, they do that part, then wait for more funding to do the next section. That's just the way these things work. People often do the same things in their personal lives-- I would like the whole home theater system with 60" flat-panel TV, surround sound, Blu-Ray, etc. But I can only afford the TV for now, so I get that, then save my pennies until I can buy the surround-sound, and so on.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio