U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-02-2009, 02:35 PM

2,027 posts, read 6,351,961 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by lemonfresh View Post
It doesn't. It doesn't. It doesn't.

Yes it did, but that is neither a majority nor the method of which the park will be built. Also, putting UTSA on the bond was a hot topic because UTSA is a state ran University.

I never mentioned the size of the endowment I simply let you know that donations are endowments, every University has these.

So instead of ignoring that you played right into it.

Though if Midland did have a chance at starting one, I doubt you or most residents of Midland would shoot it down.

The money is there. It's real. Certain requirements need to be met before the money is given. I don't see that not happening, no matter how many alarmist articles the EN writes.

Did I even do that?
Go ahead and build your university .

I've read your posts on other threads and I can see this isn't going anywhere.

Moderator cut: off topic

Last edited by Bo; 02-02-2009 at 03:08 PM.. Reason: We won't be taking the thread on a tangent that belongs in Politics and Other Controversies.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-02-2009, 02:37 PM

1,131 posts, read 1,472,866 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tgannaway89 View Post
Go ahead and build your university .
Well it's not mine but hey, it'll positively impact San Antonio (both south and north and east and west and everywhere inbetween) so I'll just post this:

Old 04-09-2009, 01:34 PM

5,142 posts, read 11,443,969 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bowie View Post
Now you're being unfair by arguing against points that I didn't make. I never said this should be built on the northside like the OP did. I said it should be built on the southside, but closer to 410 or 1604. Those two highways loop around the entire city. I've actually driven every mile of both loops in the last 2 months, so I've seen how there are better locations to be had on the southside with convenient access to one or the other loops. This campus makes sense for the southside, but there are much better locations down there that it could be built on.

I also never said that people who attend the school "won't contribute much." I'm actually offended at being painted with that brush because I want everyone to have access to as much education as they feel they need to achieve their goals. I just think that this campus needs to be as conveniently located as possible so that the city gets the maximum benefit from it and it won't contribute to traffic woes down the line when people who live in other parts of the county commute to get there. Do we really want to give TXDOT an excuse to put toll roads on the southside? That's what'll happen when this campus brings thousands of cars each day to a part of town that lacks highway infrastructure to support it.

Look at the wonderful development that is springing up on and around the 1604 campus of UTSA. Wouldn't it be great to reproduce that on the south side? It'll never happen thanks to the lousy location away from those major highways that was chosen for this campus. There were better locations down there... locations adjacent to 410 and 1604 that were overlooked in favor of this one that was selected for political reasons. And no, there are not many people living within walking distance of this location. It's quite desolate and run down in the area of this campus.

I don't quite follow the point you're making about NIMBYism. If someone tried to build those things you mentioned in an area near me, you better believe I'd be howling about it - as I would expect my fellow San Antonians on the southside to do if one of those were proposed for their area.
Quote: Now you're being unfair by arguing against points that I didn't make. I never said this should be built on the northside like the OP did. I said it should be built on the southside, but closer to 410 or 1604. Those two highways loop around the entire city. I've actually driven every mile of both loops in the last 2 months, so I've seen how there are better locations to be had on the southside with convenient access to one or the other loops. This campus makes sense for the southside, but there are much better locations down there that it could be built on.

Response: The campus will be built at the intersection of Zarzamora and 410 with very easy access to 35, past South Park Mall. There is major construction going on the area right now.

Old 04-09-2009, 01:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tgannaway89 View Post
No, I've never been. I really don't see an enrollment of 30,000 at the the proposed A&M San Antonio being feasible within the next seventy years. I believe it would be better to pump that money into our flagship university (UTSA) to remain competitive and comparable to other major schools.
I attended classes in this type of facility believe it or not. I was taking classes in portable buildings but my classes were small, professors were attentive and in comparison to other friends who also majored in business at other universities, I graduated with the least amount of student debt: $5k. I just finished paying it off in 2 1/2 years. I didn't want to drown in student loan debt and I didn't want to go to UTSA because the class size were a bit daunting for my preference of smaller class size (since business is a popular major, my class size would have been really large). I strongly believe that the reason many students didn't know about it (the time I attended: 2004-2005) is because of the lack of advertising, or past beliefs about the Southside, or because of our small portable buildings. I believe students don't need great majestic buildings to learn, just staff and faculty who have the heart to believe in students and students that are motivated to learn and earn their degrees. If folks from the Northside don't attend because of past stories they have heard, I hope they do stop by and see the progress that is being made.

Old 04-09-2009, 02:04 PM

Aww shoot! I was trying to reply to the person who mentioned about attending class in portable buildings and having to explain the long name. I wanted to add to my response below that I just tell them A&M Kingsville. Most local folks don't ask whether I actually went to Kingsville or attended classes here although folks who have attended the Kingsville campus may need to state that to folks. I dunno, I'm just glad I got my degree, most employers have seen me as part of the pioneer crowd.

I attended classes in this type of facility believe it or not. I was taking classes in portable buildings but my classes were small, professors were attentive and in comparison to other friends who also majored in business at other universities, I graduated with the least amount of student debt: $5k. I just finished paying it off in 2 1/2 years. I didn't want to drown in student loan debt and I didn't want to go to UTSA because the class size were a bit daunting for my preference of smaller class size (since business is a popular major, my class size would have been really large). I strongly believe that the reason many students didn't know about it (the time I attended: 2004-2005) is because of the lack of advertising, or past beliefs about the Southside, or because of our small portable buildings. I believe students don't need great majestic buildings to learn, just staff and faculty who have the heart to believe in students and students that are motivated to learn and earn their degrees. If folks from the Northside don't attend because of past stories they have heard, I hope they do stop by and see the progress that is being made.

Old 05-13-2009, 03:41 PM

2,027 posts, read 6,351,961 times
It looks like proponents have been able to decrease the number of required students to build a university to 1,000 (which the school has already reached). Just a few years ago 3,500 students were required to become a public university. This while we are trying to find money to bring our current universities up to par with other states'.

The governor is expected to sign the bill (the same bill he vetoed 2 years ago calling claiming it would be ineficient spending) and construction could start in 2010. The city is coughing up $15 million for infrastructure and state legislatures have ponied up $10 million for developing academics & hiring faculty. This bill will provide $40 million for construction of the first building(s).

I'm glad San Antonio would rather build another university instead of boosting our current schools. In case you couldn't tell, yes, that was sarcasm.

It will also bring a new university to Killeen and Dallas.

http://www.mysanantonio.com/news/Bill_clears_way_to_build_Texas_AM-San_Antonio.html (broken link)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio