U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 01-23-2008, 03:41 PM
 
Location: San Diego, CA
2,397 posts, read 5,843,187 times
Reputation: 641

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by SnappyBob View Post
>>>Hmmm...where is all the howling when a new homeless shelter, section 8 housing or drug rehab facility is being considered?<<<

Maybe they should put one out on IH10 where the "Booby Rocks" thing was supposed to be.

On an off topic side note. As long as the city thinks it's such a great idea to collect $5 cover charges at Topless Bars to pay for sex crimes and stuff I wonder if they would consider a $5 cover charge to all businesses located over the aquifer recharge zone to pay for potential water problems.
*rotflmao*

I think that $5 cover charge going to pay for sex crimes is ludicrous! It gives the impression that topless bars are the sole contributors to sex crimes!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 01-23-2008, 03:43 PM
 
Location: San Diego, CA
2,397 posts, read 5,843,187 times
Reputation: 641
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chakapu View Post
In addition to continuing education, it will provide many jobs - not just high end faculty positions, but technical, administrative, support, janitorial.

It's an excellent opportunity to balance out the city and provide opportunity to the southside. Despite what some may think, there's a large population on the southside and not everyone is desperate to move North of 1604.
So true!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-23-2008, 03:51 PM
 
Location: San Antonio, TX
8,400 posts, read 20,105,449 times
Reputation: 4435
Quote:
Originally Posted by SanAntoQT View Post
Build it and they will come!
They are building it, and I do hope they come! This is a life-changing opportunity for a lot of folks on the southside; I pray they not only realize that, but take full advantage of it. The more people are educated, the better off society is in general...

Cheers! M2
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-23-2008, 04:00 PM
 
Location: San Diego, CA
2,397 posts, read 5,843,187 times
Reputation: 641
Quote:
Originally Posted by majormadmax View Post
They are building it, and I do hope they come! This is a life-changing opportunity for a lot of folks on the southside; I pray they not only realize that, but take full advantage of it. The more people are educated, the better off society is in general...

Cheers! M2
I agree! I believe this is the very thing that will help pull people out of poverty. Just because someone lives on the southside doesn't mean that they don't deserve every opportunity afforded to others.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-23-2008, 04:08 PM
Bo Bo won $500 in our forum's Most Engaging Poster Contest - Tenth Edition (Apr-May 2014). 

Over $104,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum and additional contests are planned
 
Location: Ohio
16,814 posts, read 33,124,702 times
Reputation: 13587
Quote:
Originally Posted by SanAntoQT View Post
With respect to the bus routes, I was looking at it from the perspective of having this school built on the northside, taking into consideration how long it would take to get from the southside to the northside. So why make it inconvenient for those who would have to rely on public transportation?

So I guess the "have nots" don't count for much, since according to you, they won't contribute much. Nice! I don't understand what you mean by "...isn't close to where anyone lives for a long time." Last time I went home, there were plenty of people living in the area.

Hmmm...where is all the howling when a new homeless shelter, section 8 housing or drug rehab facility is being considered?
Now you're being unfair by arguing against points that I didn't make. I never said this should be built on the northside like the OP did. I said it should be built on the southside, but closer to 410 or 1604. Those two highways loop around the entire city. I've actually driven every mile of both loops in the last 2 months, so I've seen how there are better locations to be had on the southside with convenient access to one or the other loops. This campus makes sense for the southside, but there are much better locations down there that it could be built on.

I also never said that people who attend the school "won't contribute much." I'm actually offended at being painted with that brush because I want everyone to have access to as much education as they feel they need to achieve their goals. I just think that this campus needs to be as conveniently located as possible so that the city gets the maximum benefit from it and it won't contribute to traffic woes down the line when people who live in other parts of the county commute to get there. Do we really want to give TXDOT an excuse to put toll roads on the southside? That's what'll happen when this campus brings thousands of cars each day to a part of town that lacks highway infrastructure to support it.

Look at the wonderful development that is springing up on and around the 1604 campus of UTSA. Wouldn't it be great to reproduce that on the south side? It'll never happen thanks to the lousy location away from those major highways that was chosen for this campus. There were better locations down there... locations adjacent to 410 and 1604 that were overlooked in favor of this one that was selected for political reasons. And no, there are not many people living within walking distance of this location. It's quite desolate and run down in the area of this campus.

I don't quite follow the point you're making about NIMBYism. If someone tried to build those things you mentioned in an area near me, you better believe I'd be howling about it - as I would expect my fellow San Antonians on the southside to do if one of those were proposed for their area.

Last edited by Bo; 01-23-2008 at 04:23 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-23-2008, 04:15 PM
Bo Bo won $500 in our forum's Most Engaging Poster Contest - Tenth Edition (Apr-May 2014). 

Over $104,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum and additional contests are planned
 
Location: Ohio
16,814 posts, read 33,124,702 times
Reputation: 13587
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chakapu View Post
It's an excellent opportunity to balance out the city and provide opportunity to the southside. Despite what some may think, there's a large population on the southside and not everyone is desperate to move North of 1604.
1604 also goes through southern Bexar County. Someday that portion of 1604 will have as many lanes as the portion that goes through northern Bexar County. 410 is down there, too. It already has enough lanes to support this campus. It's too bad that this campus won't connect directly to 1604 or 410 on the south side.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-23-2008, 06:59 PM
 
Location: San Antonio, TX
8,400 posts, read 20,105,449 times
Reputation: 4435
Quote:
Originally Posted by SanAntoQT View Post
I agree! I believe this is the very thing that will help pull people out of poverty. Just because someone lives on the southside doesn't mean that they don't deserve every opportunity afforded to others.
Amen!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bowie View Post
1604 also goes through southern Bexar County. Someday that portion of 1604 will have as many lanes as the portion that goes through northern Bexar County. 410 is down there, too. It already has enough lanes to support this campus. It's too bad that this campus won't connect directly to 1604 or 410 on the south side.
Loop 1604 is nearly 100 miles (95.6 miles to be exact) completely encircling San Antonio. One fine morning I took my motorcycle down New Guilbeau, made a right onto 1604, and didn't stop until I made the right back onto New Guilbeau. Just one of those things I always wanted to do. But I hope they fix the more congested portions of it before they go expanding it in the more rural areas it passes through...

Cheers! M2
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-23-2008, 07:17 PM
 
Location: Washington, DC & San Antonio, TX
790 posts, read 3,616,043 times
Reputation: 516
Quote:
Originally Posted by SanAntoQT View Post
Build it and they will come!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bowie View Post
That sort of thinking is what got this city an AT&T Center built in a location that is convenient only to people who cannot afford tickets to go there.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chakapu View Post
It's an excellent opportunity to balance out the city and provide opportunity to the southside. Despite what some may think, there's a large population on the southside and not everyone is desperate to move North of 1604.
When UTSA opened the 1604 campus in 1974-75, San Antonio's far northwest corner was the I-10/410 intersection, 1604 was a 2-lane farm road and the campus was in the middle of farmland that no one wanted to live on. Fast forward 30+ years and you can see the impact that an investment like that can have in a region. TAMU-SA will, in all likelihood, have a similar catalytic impact on the southside, including additional investments in infrastructure, industry, retail, etc. Balancing out the city's growth is a good thing. Don't expect TAMU-SA to replicate UTSA's success in just a few short years, but over time it will certainly effect change just as profound as its neighbor across town.

*disclaimer: no, I'm not an Aggie.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-23-2008, 07:32 PM
 
Location: San Diego, CA
2,397 posts, read 5,843,187 times
Reputation: 641
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bowie View Post
Now you're being unfair by arguing against points that I didn't make. I never said this should be built on the northside like the OP did. I said it should be built on the southside, but closer to 410 or 1604. Those two highways loop around the entire city. I've actually driven every mile of both loops in the last 2 months, so I've seen how there are better locations to be had on the southside with convenient access to one or the other loops. This campus makes sense for the southside, but there are much better locations down there that it could be built on.

I also never said that people who attend the school "won't contribute much." I'm actually offended at being painted with that brush because I want everyone to have access to as much education as they feel they need to achieve their goals. I just think that this campus needs to be as conveniently located as possible so that the city gets the maximum benefit from it and it won't contribute to traffic woes down the line when people who live in other parts of the county commute to get there. Do we really want to give TXDOT an excuse to put toll roads on the southside? That's what'll happen when this campus brings thousands of cars each day to a part of town that lacks highway infrastructure to support it.

Look at the wonderful development that is springing up on and around the 1604 campus of UTSA. Wouldn't it be great to reproduce that on the south side? It'll never happen thanks to the lousy location away from those major highways that was chosen for this campus. There were better locations down there... locations adjacent to 410 and 1604 that were overlooked in favor of this one that was selected for political reasons. And no, there are not many people living within walking distance of this location. It's quite desolate and run down in the area of this campus.

I don't quite follow the point you're making about NIMBYism. If someone tried to build those things you mentioned in an area near me, you better believe I'd be howling about it - as I would expect my fellow San Antonians on the southside to do if one of those were proposed for their area.
My apologies. I misunderstood re: the location.

As for the NIMBY commentary...I was being facetious. You won't hear anyone clamoring to have section 8 housing, drug rehab facilities, etc built on the northside. Apparently, no matter how much southsiders complain about having these facilities in their area, no one listens. Money talks, pure and simple!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-23-2008, 07:36 PM
 
Location: Tampa
3,981 posts, read 9,413,307 times
Reputation: 1171
Quote:
Originally Posted by SanAntoQT View Post
*rotflmao*

I think that $5 cover charge going to pay for sex crimes is ludicrous! It gives the impression that topless bars are the sole contributors to sex crimes!
i couldnt agree more!

and i think the Uni will be a great addition! the more colleges a town has,the better for it!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:


Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

123
Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio
Similar Threads
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2019, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top