Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-14-2007, 01:06 PM

87 posts, read 330,473 times

Advertisements

The reason I'm asking these folks is because we receive the Southside Reporter, and the request is for old copies if any can be had. The request is for this specific publication because it was received on this side of town. Make sense? Otay.

I'm attempting to do a book/booklet of the history of Highland Hills/Highland Park, and would like to include photos, articles, and advertisements for businesses that were once there, ie, GW Junior's, Park-Air Drive Inn, Floyd's, Brooks Field National Bank, etc, and events that happened.

If you don't wish to part with your copies, I'll be more than happy with a photo or scanned copy.

If anyone can recommend someplace that would have copies of the Light or older newspapers, this would help tremendously also! I'm trying to plan a few days to lurk at the Conservation Society later this month.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-14-2007, 01:35 PM

469 posts, read 1,155,300 times
I wish I had something to give you but unforunately I don't but I was thinking why don't you contact their offices. You never know they may have old copies of the newspaper or photos from that time. It's worth a shot.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dementia_Impaled View Post
The reason I'm asking these folks is because we receive the Southside Reporter, and the request is for old copies if any can be had. The request is for this specific publication because it was received on this side of town. Make sense? Otay.

I'm attempting to do a book/booklet of the history of Highland Hills/Highland Park, and would like to include photos, articles, and advertisements for businesses that were once there, ie, GW Junior's, Park-Air Drive Inn, Floyd's, Brooks Field National Bank, etc, and events that happened.

If you don't wish to part with your copies, I'll be more than happy with a photo or scanned copy.

If anyone can recommend someplace that would have copies of the Light or older newspapers, this would help tremendously also! I'm trying to plan a few days to lurk at the Conservation Society later this month.

Old 03-15-2007, 08:39 AM

4,796 posts, read 15,361,371 times
Default Downtown Library...Texana Department

You're in for a treat if you want history info! The downtown library has microfilm of almost all area newspapers! The Texana Department is on the top floor. Ask any of the librarians or volunteers to help you get started.

Also...they have a HUGE vault in the back behind the desk. Tell them what you are researching, and they keep "clipping" files that you can view and copy while you're visiting. Name a place, person or event, and they most likely have a file on it! Also maps!!!!!

Also, call the paper directly and ask if they have an archive to research. Some of these little local papers changed names over the years....you'll need to know any former names of their publication to search the microfilm.

The San Antonio Express News and San Antonio Light merged some years back. You can search ALL their archives online going back to 1982. There's a small fee to access that database. Anything older will be on microfilm at the library. You can also go to the SA EN and tell them you are researching.
They may be able to pinpint some info and let you research. Years ago that used to be somewhat of a chore....maybe it's more up to speed with technology now.

Keep in mind, the microfilm at the library is indexed only by date and time.
The San Antonio Express used to have a morning and evening edition in addition to the Light. The SA Express microfilm goes back to about 1870....maybe a little earlier. What fun reading!!!! The front page is sort of "generic" national news, so you can see how SA found out about the world.
Back then, they also had a weekly edition for more rural subscribers. The nitty gritty is on the inside pages (local goings on...stories and stats) then the ADs! Pay close attention to those....I've gotten names and places of people from where and when they did local business. That's where the maps come in handy since much changed back then!

Don't forget about the Courthouse! Land records and property owners will be important to your research!

Have fun...wish I could help!

Old 01-02-2008, 07:52 PM

3,669 posts, read 6,874,074 times
Any progress on this so far?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio