U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-24-2014, 04:33 PM

874 posts, read 1,157,356 times

Advertisements

Several things to include durability, the ability to recharge while still getting softened water, flow control vs timed regeneration.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-24-2014, 08:15 PM

6,257 posts, read 8,988,285 times
The ability to get soft water during regeneration is nice - but IMO not a necessity. You can regenerate it at 2 am (which is when most do it), during which time most folks are asleep. My LEO/Firefighter/shift worker customers, I simply show how to set to regenerate during their sleep cycles, and for 99% of my customers, that does the job for them in an economical manner. I've not used time-based units in over 20 years - the metered units are simply too reliable - plus they negate worrying about vacation or "guest" cycles, etc.

Old 11-22-2014, 12:49 PM

31 posts, read 47,749 times
Just installed Kenmore Elite Hybrid Water Softener on our own. The difference in water quality has been obviously improved. The water tastes a bit salty. Hopefully it will go away.

Old 11-22-2014, 01:53 PM

874 posts, read 1,157,356 times
Shouldn't taste salty at all.

Old 11-22-2014, 04:01 PM

6,257 posts, read 8,988,285 times
No, it shouldn't. Make need to adjust your final/flush rinse a bit.

Old 11-22-2014, 05:02 PM

14 posts, read 15,038 times
i am not looking to do the system myself. my house is pre plumb for system but would like some recommendations for good companies that install systems.

Old 11-22-2014, 06:10 PM

1 posts, read 1,267 times
Hey TexasRedneck, I have seen many of your well-informed posts on here and am interested in getting a quote from you. I sent you a PM with further information. I look forward to hearing back from you. Thanks.

Old 11-22-2014, 09:36 PM

425 posts, read 358,972 times
I researched 'em for about a month and got one of these for $1,000 installed total including tax (pre-existing loop). That was $400 less than the lowest bid I got. Very good unit with lots of variables you can control.
Some bids were over $2,000 for the same unit.

Call this local wholesaler for a recommended retail installer: Charger Water Treatment Products San Antonio TX, 782384531

Old 11-22-2014, 10:39 PM

314 posts, read 722,135 times
The "doesn't use electricity" thing is a total gimmick...

According to the Nevada Power website a water softener only uses about 19kwh a year at CPS rates of 10.3 cents that is only $1.96 per year...and for that you give up may features of the electronic Fleck valve mentioned above.

Source
https://www.nvenergy.com/brochures_a...e_use_gide.pdf

CPS Rate
Fuel Charges and Your Bill

Old 05-08-2015, 12:53 PM

1 posts, read 989 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TexasRedneck View Post
Turn-key installed usually runs about the same as it does for someone that "sources out" a unit if you shop around for a complete system on a preplumbed house. The "miracle" units that use no salt and other gadgetry make the rounds every 5 years or so, and end up being ineffective, except for removing you money from your wallet.

SOME homes can be plumbed fairly inexpensively, but most end up running around $1800 or so to do the plumbing if you use a good, licensed plumber. I "hook up" my customers with a good plumber that will do the job RIGHT to begin with.

I HIGHLY recommend the Fleck 5600 control valve, primarily because it's been around since the mid-70's. I have converted their older time-based units into metered units for far less than a new softener would cost, and they have the same end results. The newer units with the metering ability are simple, rugged and pretty bullet-proof.

You can PM me for pricing and info. I DO have to do a site visit to be able to guarantee the pricing, but I can give you a 99% accurate quote on a preplumbed house via email, subject to final inspection. And, no - I do NOT require that both be present on the visit - it's a call to check installation requirements, NOT a sales call - takes about 15 minutes, unless you have questions.
Interested in a whole house water softener, but don't want to spend $5K +. House is preplumbed & less than 1 yr old. What do you recommend?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio