U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-25-2014, 09:14 AM

38 posts, read 92,901 times

Advertisements

We live in a neighborhood between Leon Springs and Helotes, and recently have had a lot of yards (and septic systems) torn up by feral hogs. With the hog population being so high, it seems like setting up traps would be a never ending battle. Our neighborhood is almost completely fenced in; do you think we should consider getting the rest fenced in? Is there something we can spray on our lawns to keep them away? Or something we could place near their suspected entry points to keep them out of the neighborhood? All suggestions welcome. :-)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-25-2014, 09:18 AM

5,605 posts, read 6,384,238 times
Some farmers use electric wire about 6" to 12" inches off the ground to keep hogs out. This doesn't always stop them though if the ground is soft because they will burrow under the wire. If the ground is hard then this may work successfully.

Old 08-25-2014, 04:47 PM

3,927 posts, read 4,676,332 times
Forget the sprays. Get more fences up! The wild hog situation has really improved this year where I live. Don't know if the wild hog hunting programs have helped or what. Of course, I know it wouldn't be allowed in subdivisions, but there is large areas of land nearby where nobody lives. I've got a fenced yard at least, but the hogs have been a big problem in the past as far as the rest of my lot.

Old 08-25-2014, 06:31 PM

5,620 posts, read 12,857,510 times
Assuming you live outside of any city and live in the county, call Texas Wildlife Services. 210-472-5451. If they either can't or won't help with setting cage traps, there are folks that will come out and trap them and haul them off....alive. There are many for hire companies around that charge for the service or if you want to go cheap with it, advertise that you have hogs and will let someone place cage traps on your property. Craigslist is a good place to start. Lots of hunters out there with live cage traps that catch the hogs, raise them up, then butcher them when they are mature and fat. You might also ask over at the Texas Shooting Sports forum. These are mostly local guys, some are cops, that hunt and may have the traps and willing to haul them off for you. Never know unless you ask.
Texas Shooting Sports - Index

Old 08-25-2014, 06:51 PM

4,149 posts, read 9,292,332 times
Fences are your best bet. They're a pain. Lots of folks say mothballs, sprays, etc but the bottom line is that as long as you've got grubs and soft soil, you're going to get hogs. Especially in drought. I've had folks tell me that they've had their lawns treated VERY frequently for pests and it helps tremendously.

You can buy cages pretty cheap on Craigslist.

Old 08-26-2014, 06:59 AM

2,096 posts, read 1,815,304 times
Depending on your area, a rifle and a trip to a local game processing station might be a delicious option. Javelina sausage makes some pretty amazing gumbo!

Old 08-26-2014, 07:20 AM

5,605 posts, read 6,384,238 times
Javelina meat is probably the most disgusting meat I ever had when I lived out by Hondo. It is hard to even give it away for free.

Feral hogs and Javelinas are not the same thing...not even related.

Old 08-26-2014, 07:21 AM

6,252 posts, read 8,958,775 times
"Discouraging" them from YOUR yard does nothing but kick the problem down the road. Your only real option is trapping them. Talk to someone from Texas Parks and Wildlife, and see if they can recommend a trapper that will come in and remove them for you. Unless you KNOW what you're doing, I'd strongly discourage attempting to trap them yourself - hogs are VERY strong - and intelligent - and aggressive when cornered. You do NOT want to face off with one, trust me.

Unless a strong trapping program is put into place, the problem will only grow progressively worse - a single sow can have 9+ piglets each and every year.

Old 08-26-2014, 03:40 PM

2,721 posts, read 3,398,934 times
Default A little Dog,

A couple of Staffordshire Terriers might be tried.
Quote:
Originally Posted by scrubalinda View Post
We live in a neighborhood between Leon Springs and Helotes, and recently have had a lot of yards (and septic systems) torn up by feral hogs. With the hog population being so high, it seems like setting up traps would be a never ending battle. Our neighborhood is almost completely fenced in; do you think we should consider getting the rest fenced in? Is there something we can spray on our lawns to keep them away? Or something we could place near their suspected entry points to keep them out of the neighborhood? All suggestions welcome. :-)

Old 08-27-2014, 03:14 PM

38 posts, read 92,901 times
Thanks for the advice. Our HOA does not allow hunting inside the neighborhood, so that's out. We are outside the city limits, and inside Bexar County. I assume the hogs are just wandering up and down the areas off Babcock. I feel like unless we fence off the whole neighborhood, we'll just be trapping the hogs for the whole area and will never catch them all. I think contacting TPWD is in order.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio
View detailed profiles of:
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or