U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-02-2009, 07:19 AM

5,633 posts, read 13,942,525 times

Advertisements

One thing that really ticked me off about "American Outlaws" was that part of it took place in Brownsville (they even superimposed the words "Brownsville, tx") and they show mountains in the background. Anyone that has ever been to Brownsville knows it's as flat as a pancake...or should I say, tortilla.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-02-2009, 10:16 AM

1,226 posts, read 2,709,846 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TexasNick View Post
One thing that really ticked me off about "American Outlaws" was that part of it took place in Brownsville (they even superimposed the words "Brownsville, tx") and they show mountains in the background. Anyone that has ever been to Brownsville knows it's as flat as a pancake...or should I say, tortilla.
Lol...welcome to the movie business. I can't stand that kinda stuff either, look what they did to Chicago in Batman, plus who said they are gonna change the name of it to Gotham City?? Also what about Atlantis in Little Mermaid? There isn't really any cartoon cities....come on!!...lol. Btw...do whatever you want to Brownsville because who would want to see it as it is?

Old 01-02-2009, 01:36 PM

79 posts, read 283,466 times
As stated by tgannaway89 this topic has been discussed before. I am not sure how to merge the threads. All the information sought after can be found with a simple Google search. Below is opinion and information I provided in a previous thread (links updated for URL changes since the original post).

For a complete list of productions shot in San Antonio visit Film San Antonio at:

San Antonio Filmography :: Official San Antonio Visitor Information: VisitSanAntonio.com

For a complete listing of movies filmed in Texas visit the Texas Film Commission at:

Office of the Governor - Rick Perry

In my opinion the following films, although not all good ones, showcase sites in the city pretty well:

All the Pretty Horses
The Newton Boys
Miss Congeniality
Selena
Blank Check
Cloak and Dagger
The Getaway
Viva Max

Among the TV shows:

Heaven Help Us - short lived syndicated Spelling Production show shot entirely on location in San Antonio - about a newly wed couple that, on the way to a honeymoon, that dies crashing into the RiverCenter Marriott. There they end up in pergatory (on the 13th Floor) where they have to go out and do good deeds in order to be granted entry into Heaven. Starring John Schneider and Ricardo Montalban

J J Starbuck - another short lived series that aired on NBC. Story of a wealthy Texas oil man that travels the country solving crimes in attonement for his focus on business rather than personal relationships. The show was a spin-off of "Tenspeed and Brownshoe" and starred Dale Robertson.

Knight Rider 2000 - made for TV movie (1991) reprising the Knight Rider TV series in the near future, the year 2000. It is interesting to see San Antonio filmed as a 'city of the future.' An interesting bit of trivia, in one scene a character is carrying a Joske's shopping bag, but the store had closed in 1987. Stars David Hasselhoff.

My Two Loves - a groundbreaking made for TV movie about a widow, who a year after losing her husband, is starting a new life, is wooed by her husband's best friend and confides this to a female co-worker. The two women end up forming a romantic relationship. Stars Mariette Hartley and Lynn Redgrave.

Perry Como Christmas in San Antonio - a holiday special that beautifully showcases the city's historic sites and riverwalk. Stars Perry Como, George Strait and Angie Dickinson.

Old 01-02-2009, 03:37 PM

1,226 posts, read 2,709,846 times
Actually "The Newton Boys" is a great movie!!

Old 01-03-2009, 02:29 PM

13,789 posts, read 7,310,711 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Buffyfan View Post
I know there was a scene in Johnny B. Good, I think when he went to college(?), where he drove around Incarnate Word College. UIW is a really pretty school.
The high school in the movie is Alamo Heights. Some of my friends from Trinity at the time answered an ad and showed up in some of the opening scenes as extras. It's always so strange to watch the first few minutes and see some of them on film. I didn't go that day but I sure wish I had now.

This has been mentioned by me and others before but the movie, "Race with the Devil" was also filmed in San Antonio and Bandera. Those who live off Potranco Rd can see how it looked before all the development took over. It starred Warren Oates, Loretta Swit and Peter Fonda and was filmed in the mid 70s.

Old 10-13-2009, 11:27 AM

7 posts, read 15,420 times
Default Rolling Thunder

The movie was made in the 70's. Some was filmed at the san antonio state hospital and brooks air force base.

Old 10-13-2009, 12:52 PM

4,284 posts, read 3,722,770 times
Doctor "S" Battles the Sex Crazed Reefer Zombies was filmed very recently in San Antonio and has been released. It's an Independent film. Check out their website : Doctor S the Movie

Old 10-13-2009, 03:54 PM

3,109 posts, read 8,695,910 times
Don't forget to add "From Mexico with Love". The world premier was held at the Palladium on September 29, 2009.; just a few weeks ago and the film was made entirely in San Antonio. It was presented by SAF studios, Inc. of San Antonio.

Old 10-14-2009, 06:40 AM

1,066 posts, read 3,177,198 times
A lot of "8 Seconds" was filmed around SA. The one scene I remember was in the parking lot of Penn Foods (Callaghan & I-10)

Old 10-14-2009, 02:13 PM

13 posts, read 41,779 times
There was also one of Jackie Chans first movies released for the U.S. that was called The Big Brawl. Some of the scenes were filmed on the old train bridges around Pine and Hackberry. I think I saw that movie at The Wonder Twin Theater or The Callaghan Twin Theater.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio