U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 11-15-2015, 07:14 AM
 
441 posts, read 794,942 times
Reputation: 353

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by DonMattingly View Post
If Nashville, Charlotte, and Jacksonville can manage expansion teams, why not SA?
SA was a different city when the NFL expanded. Today, SA has the corporate base and the population to support an NFL team.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 11-15-2015, 07:29 AM
 
50 posts, read 43,444 times
Reputation: 52
I agree
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-15-2015, 09:16 AM
Bo Bo won $500 in our forum's Most Engaging Poster Contest - Tenth Edition (Apr-May 2014). 

Over $104,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum and additional contests are planned
 
Location: Ohio
16,828 posts, read 33,250,561 times
Reputation: 13625
Quote:
Originally Posted by SAguy View Post
Today, SA has the corporate base and the population to support an NFL team.
How can you say that SA has the corporate base? There are only 5 Fortune 500 corporations headquartered in SA. Only 1 of the 5 is moving up in the ranks. Another of the 5 is actually laying people off. The city's largest corporation moved its headquarters to Dallas 7 years ago.

That lack of corporate base is the biggest reason why SA doesn't have what the NFL is looking for.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-15-2015, 10:03 AM
 
Location: San Antonio
3,754 posts, read 3,882,291 times
Reputation: 3205
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bo View Post
How can you say that SA has the corporate base? There are only 5 Fortune 500 corporations headquartered in SA. Only 1 of the 5 is moving up in the ranks. Another of the 5 is actually laying people off. The city's largest corporation moved its headquarters to Dallas 7 years ago.

That lack of corporate base is the biggest reason why SA doesn't have what the NFL is looking for.
We actually have 6 and that puts us ahead of San Diego, Phoenix, New Orleans, Jacksonville, and Indianapolis, etc....
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-15-2015, 01:31 PM
 
2,560 posts, read 5,275,880 times
Reputation: 764
Quote:
Originally Posted by davis449 View Post
People need to get the fact that we don't have the TV market for NFL and get over the fact that, thus, we aren't getting an NFL team...
San Antonio's TV market now ranks #33 and larger than a handful of NFL cities. San Diego is #29 not much bigger. That's not even including the San Marcos-Austin market.

Its not a question any longer if San Antonio can support a team its just finding a team to move here.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-15-2015, 04:42 PM
 
6 posts, read 3,268 times
Reputation: 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pancho-Villa View Post
Many people don't want to pay for a stadium. That's one big reason. They had recently held meetings with the Raiders...but I think we were used as a bargaining chip. Must be a tough sell. Someone said earlier that selling out the luxury boxes would be an issue here. I think that has some merit too.

Who is going to pay $500-$700M (or more) for a stadium for a billionaire's team to use at most 10 times per year at minimal expense? It makes absolutely no sense. NFL teams will continue to take advantage of SA to get better deals where they are. It's the threat to move that gets those cities to react to NFL extortion. From what I can tell this is a Cowboy's city, I don't think that allegiance would change. Also don't believe either the Cowboys or Texans would want another Texas team in their territory.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-15-2015, 06:20 PM
 
2,560 posts, read 5,275,880 times
Reputation: 764
Quote:
Originally Posted by kmnhsa View Post
Who is going to pay $500-$700M (or more) for a stadium for a billionaire's team to use at most 10 times per year at minimal expense? It makes absolutely no sense. NFL teams will continue to take advantage of SA to get better deals where they are. It's the threat to move that gets those cities to react to NFL extortion. From what I can tell this is a Cowboy's city, I don't think that allegiance would change. Also don't believe either the Cowboys or Texans would want another Texas team in their territory.

It has a cowboy following because we don't have a team. Big cities offer big time sports its what most big cities residents want, so big city residents have to support and help pay for it.

It would be awesome to host the super bowl in San Antonio!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-15-2015, 10:23 PM
 
Location: San Antonio
461 posts, read 351,525 times
Reputation: 219
Quote:
Originally Posted by davis449 View Post
People need to get the fact that we don't have the TV market for NFL and get over the fact that, thus, we aren't getting an NFL team...
davis is right, lets accept the fact that a permanent NFL team will never come, neither will MLB. we can probably let the raiders play their home games, but on a temporary basis, the best we can do. im sorry
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-16-2015, 10:01 AM
 
Location: San Antonio, TX
163 posts, read 151,383 times
Reputation: 226
Quote:
Originally Posted by SweethomeSanAntonio View Post
San Antonio's TV market now ranks #33 and larger than a handful of NFL cities. San Diego is #29 not much bigger. That's not even including the San Marcos-Austin market.

Its not a question any longer if San Antonio can support a team its just finding a team to move here.
That doesn't matter. Those cities whose TV markets rank below SA's already have WELL-ESTABLISHED NFL franchises. Some have even LOST their teams and gotten them back during times when other cities were more viable (think Cleveland here). By your logic New Orleans should have their team yanked immediately...well Tom tried that and it didn't work. The long history of establishment and their financial commitment, as a city, to keeping the Saints (right or wrong, for better or worse) is what kept the team there. Even in the case of San Diego, being that the majority of their season ticket holders or SoCal residients (Oragne County, not even in the SD metro area), their team is well-established and their TV market still superior to ours. It's all about revenue and we, as a city, just can't generate enough of it to support a NFL team.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-16-2015, 11:03 AM
 
2,254 posts, read 657,259 times
Reputation: 1913
Quote:
Originally Posted by DonMattingly View Post

If Nashville, Charlotte, and Jacksonville can manage expansion teams, why not SA?
In the interest of accuracy: Charlotte and Jacksonville actually were NFL expansion teams, both entering league competition in 1995.

In contrast, the Tennessee Titans, formerly the Houston Oilers and also known for a time as the Tennessee Oilers, represented an existing NFL franchise that merely moved from one city to another, which occurred in 1997. The Oilers' move to Nashville did not represent an expansion of the number of franchises in the NFL. The same number of NFL franchises existed before and after the Oilers' move to Nashville; hence, the Oilers/Titans would not have been an expansion team.

Last edited by Milton Miteybad; 11-16-2015 at 11:21 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:


Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

123
Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio
Similar Threads
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6. The time now is 02:22 PM.

2005-2019, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top