U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-11-2006, 02:09 PM

20 posts, read 98,916 times

Advertisements

Hello, I would like to find out about some areas in Texas. I am planning a trip to visit some time in the next few months. Looking into Texas I'm impressed with the prices of homes...very reasonable. But not knowing what type areas I'm looking at I'm not sure if I should be! There is a town, Boerne which I guess is outside of San Antonio could someone tell me a little about the life style there, things to do, the overall feeling of safety. And the weather, what is that like? Compared to Austin which has the better weather? Also if anyone is familiar with Georgetown and/or Pflugerville feed back would be greatly appreciated. I would love to find an area with mild weather, low crime and an old fashion downtown. A place where you walk your dog and leave your windows open on a beautiful day. Corny huh? I'm country but I would like to be in a self substaining old fashioned (generally warm) town. I've been looking into mild temps around the U.S. a place I can afford, a place that is safe and boy the pickings are slim! I've looked a lot into Florida...the crime has scared me out of there! I appreciate any info you can offer. Have a great day
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-12-2006, 11:29 AM

11 posts, read 65,763 times
Hi Bonnie, The Boerne area is a delight, the town is like an era from back in the old towne time, it was established long ago with antique shops and resturants also the river that flows through town is I believe the part of the guadalupe not to sure about that but it has one! On Sundays the trail of motorist flow through also has a great fair ground for stockshows and other functions that are on the calander. I would suggest that you visit the Chamber web site to get a better feel. The crime isn't at all much to talk about. and there is a dancehall (very old) called Flores Country Store in Helotes as well as one that is even bigger with the hard wood floors and live bands on the weekends that is located on the way to Boerne up Iterstate 10
exit Beorne Stage Rd. Lots to do, weather to enjoy and deer to hit if your not careful when you drive at night. I hope tis helps! Sheri

Old 04-12-2006, 11:51 AM

Hey Sheri, thank you so much for your information and encouragement! If you wouldn't mind would you tell me about the winter weather. And as far as comparing it to other parts of Texas what is your opinion on the quality of life there vs. the suburbs of Austin? Thanks again for your reply. Have a good day, Bonnie

Old 04-12-2006, 12:11 PM

5 posts, read 31,955 times
I would like to know about San Antonio too. I have been heavily considering Katy, but would throw San Antonio into the mix. I have a son starting high school in the fall and my main concern is a good high school for him and a nice middle income neighborhood to live in. Any advice?

Old 04-18-2006, 07:30 AM

4 posts, read 14,063 times
Bonnie:

I am originally from Maine and have lived in Florida for five years. My wife loves the weather here but we are looking into other areas now as our daughter is considering college in another year.

It will be hot in Texas(97 yesterday in Austin)and it has also been very dry. There is no state income tax but real estate taxes are high(the governor of texas is trying to get them lowered)and property prices range all over the place.
Georgetown is a great little city with lots of pluses. Sugarland outside of Houston is nice too with cheaper property. College Station where Texas A&M is located also has reasonable real estate prices.

Old 04-18-2006, 07:38 AM

11 posts, read 65,763 times
Bonnie, the weather in the Hill Country can get cold, sometimes sleet if there is moisture in the air, but it is only cold if your from that area in Texas, the northern grown folks seem to be just fine with it,North Texas is much colder ie. Amarillo Lubbock North Dallas ect, the closer south you get the better weather wise. Austin is such a growing city that the traffic is a nightmare, however the outside rural area close to any large city is the wayto go, but that is where all the people are going that are trying to escape the ratrace, so the country really isnt country, unless you go to an small towm that will be slower on growth than others...they are out there and well worth the time to visit. ....Sheri

Old 04-18-2006, 08:28 PM

1,883 posts, read 2,558,657 times
Concerning Boerne,I would rate it very high,but there are rumours that Disneyland is considering a new park between Boerne and SA.Anyone considering moving there should check into this.

Old 04-19-2006, 07:51 AM

I would like to thank everyone for taking the time to get your information to me, it's greatly appreciated! So much to consider when planning such a huge move. Leaving Maine's weather....not a problem, leaving Maine, much more difficult. So I really want to be certain I'm heading to the right location - all your info really does help, thanks again. Have a good day. Bonnie

Old 04-19-2006, 07:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lifertexan
Concerning Boerne,I would rate it very high,but there are rumours that Disneyland is considering a new park between Boerne and SA.Anyone considering moving there should check into this.
Hey thank you for that info! Disneyland is not a place I would want to be anywhere near! I'll look further into that.

Old 04-21-2006, 02:37 PM

64 posts, read 176,968 times
Exclamation Moving to San Antonio area

It is very hot AND humid here 6-7 months of the year. Your electric bill will be astronomically high. We are in a major drought. Your water bill will be extremely high as well. We have high sales and property taxes. The ugly contruction going on (the McMansions) are making most of us natives wish that people would not move here. Too much strain on us all.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or