U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-02-2014, 08:55 AM

98 posts, read 205,219 times

Advertisements

Wife and I are both fair skinned and before we move to the SA area I would like to know how long do you run your AC .Here in Kc metroplex from mid june to mid sept. WE keep our home at abt 76 deg. Is the summer heat oppressive? ,How does one go about doing outdoor activities ?.I like to bicycle from about mid april to Nov. Thanks.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-02-2014, 09:14 AM

5,631 posts, read 6,441,344 times
My ac usage drops off around late Oct and my gas usage (heater) increases around the same time according to my CPS bill. I see people bicycling here year around.

Old 09-02-2014, 09:23 AM

6,171 posts, read 8,648,642 times
February 1st to February 28th.

But serious, Azure110 is about right.

Old 09-02-2014, 09:31 AM

98 posts, read 205,219 times
Thanks azure. When does the cooling season begin May??

Old 09-02-2014, 09:36 AM

11,160 posts, read 20,451,301 times
I usually run my AC from April through the end of October.

Actually, the only months I usually need the heater are some parts of December, Jan and Feb. The rest of the time I leave the thermostat set to AC and it runs if it needs to.

You can ride a bike here year round. In the hottest months (June, July and August) early mornings or evenings are best for bike rides. There might be three or four days a year when it's too cold for riding. There's no need to pack the bike away for winter and then spend a month in the spring getting used to it again though.

Old 09-02-2014, 09:52 AM

2,721 posts, read 3,427,579 times
Default Blazing Heat,

For a Missourian, the heat, would say begins April and last through Oct. It can get very hot in May.
March is not bad for heat and can get actuallyvery cold again if a Canadian blue norther blows in. March begins the planting season for farmers here in south Texas.
October begins the cool down. The climatic temp. lines are not drawn precisely, temps. can vary and it can get hot in November here occasionally just as it can get very cold in March. I guess one could say it can get hot anytime here.
Yes, the summer heat is oppressive here, but not terribly so. If one acclimates. It is tolerable , not like say, Arizona, where it is true desert conditions with temperatures to go with that definition. Summer activities can be done in moderation in the beginning , acclimate yourselves slowly and all will go well. Gradually the body will adjust.
People work out of doors all year long here so it cannot be that bad. Keep yourselves hydrated(key) so that dehydration will not occur , get heat prostration or dehydration or even heatstroke.
Until you become used to it you could get sick, September is still pretty hot in San Antonio.Be wary.
Watch the Fire Ants. That smarts.
Quote:
Originally Posted by snowbozo13 View Post
Wife and I are both fair skinned and before we move to the SA area I would like to know how long do you run your AC .Here in Kc metroplex from mid june to mid sept. WE keep our home at abt 76 deg. Is the summer heat oppressive? ,How does one go about doing outdoor activities ?.I like to bicycle from about mid april to Nov. Thanks.

Old 09-02-2014, 10:21 AM

355 posts, read 450,199 times
I have to think real hard to remember a cold Halloween here.

Old 09-02-2014, 10:56 AM

3,751 posts, read 3,868,703 times
^^^

Some perspective I have listed out the lows on Halloween.

2010 50
2011 48
2012 54
2013 57

Old 09-02-2014, 11:15 AM

1,158 posts, read 1,380,371 times
Usually by the middle of October the heat will ease up.

Old 09-02-2014, 11:57 AM

4,268 posts, read 8,379,010 times
I'd say if you're really worried about heat, it may not be a good place for you. We tend to not turn our a/c on until as late as possible, unless we're having people over, but that's usually by May.We set ours at 80F most of the time. Our house is 100+ years old, well shaded with excellent air flow, so that helps minimize the need for a/c. Most people I know have it on by March and run it til Nov.

As for "cold" Halloweens, usually we're looking for costumes for our kids that will not make them sweat - light, airy kind of costumes. It may cool down overnight by 3am, but at 7pm trick or treating, it's still been quite warm. I don't recall any Halloween since I've had kids where they needed something to keep warm while trick or treating. Quite the opposite, we must remember to bring water to drink because they sweat so much in the heat.

http://weather-warehouse.com/Weather...X_October.html Highs/Lows for October.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or