U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-25-2007, 07:52 PM

1,512 posts, read 2,607,689 times

Advertisements

All this talk about how great HEB is has got me wishing for a Wegmans down here. We just moved from Northern VA in July and I have to say that the grocery stores here are nowhere near what I would consider to be great. Yes, they sell food, but that's about it.

Anyone else on this board been to a Wegmans?

--Dim
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-25-2007, 07:57 PM

14,613 posts, read 31,142,856 times
No, but I've been to a Ukrop's. Do they still have those in Virginia? I'm from the Petersburg/Chester area, and we are going way back, but I still remember their fried chicken and potato wedge things. I don't eat fried chicken anymore but I do have fond memories of grabbing a piece for lunch back in the day!

Old 12-25-2007, 08:17 PM

Ukrops is still in business, but mainly in Central/Southern VA.

Wegmans is just a truly unique grocery shopping experience. An amazing wine area (complete with a separate room for $1,000+ wines), an olive bar that goes for miles, and a cheese section where anything goes. Add to all that an amazing organics/whole foods section and it's a great experience.

They have a professionally trained choclateur on-staff, and his/her chocolate creations are to die for. (Think Julia Child here.)

About 1/3 of the store is actually a two-story cafe area, with an amazing sub-sandwich shop, pizza n' wings, Chinese buffet, hot bar (with nice items like roast beef, crab cakes, and a lot more), and many other food items. A 500-seat eating area is upstairs, and you can look out over the entire store from the balconies.

This place is so big, an old-style Wal-Mart had to be torn down so the store could be built. There are 500 or so regular employees plus a bunch of part-timers. Nothing ever runs out, prices are great (provided you don't buy a whole lot of high-end foods like truffles), and the employees are top-notch.

I really miss it now. At least my new job has me traveling up to Northern VA every other month...

--Dim

Old 12-25-2007, 08:19 PM

790 posts, read 3,616,237 times
I frequently shopped at the Wegmans in Fairfax - a foodie heaven and some of the best produce I've ever seen. The closest you'll find to that in SA is Central Market - not quite the same but still very good. Please note that several of the regular HEB and HEB Plus stores carry a few of Central Market branded items, but you really need to go to the actual Central Market store (near Broadway and Hildebrand) to see the full selection.

Old 12-25-2007, 08:23 PM

OK, Ukrop's is more like HEB than the foodie heaven you've described. Sounds wonderful!

Old 12-25-2007, 09:14 PM

I have been meaning to check out the Central Market for some time. I also understand there is a Whole Foods (or some variant thereof) in Alamo Heights. I used to live less than 5 miles from the Ashburn Wegmans. Unlike this area, Wegmans was one of many grocery store chains in the area (Giant, Safeway, Shopper's, Bloom, Whole Foods, Trader Joes, Harris Teeter, etc.). It's too bad HEB doesn't have any competition to speak of...

--Dim

Old 12-25-2007, 09:15 PM

4,263 posts, read 9,692,196 times
They once did...but were successful at "running 'em out" of town.

Old 12-26-2007, 10:29 AM

790 posts, read 1,605,208 times
Yes...Wegman's is great! I visit the one in Sterling, behind that huge Maserati dealership. I took a friend of mine, who has worked for HEB for almost 20 years, to Wegman's in September. He was floored. He also pointed out several items that were Cheaper -- yes, I know...it's hard to believe. I always thought Texas took the Cheapest Place in the World prize. Hee hee

Old 12-26-2007, 12:10 PM

My wife and I have commented several times that HEB is far from cheap. In fact, we hardly shop there--it's usually Super Target or even Wally World. I have a strong feeling that Wegmans would certainly cause HEB to drop their prices a bit. It happened when the first Wegmans in Sterling moved in--Giant (the equivalent to HEB) quickly realized that they had to compete. Stores were remodeled, prices dropped, and even the weekly circulars took on a Wegmans-ish theme.

--Dim

Old 12-26-2007, 12:15 PM

LOL, I think there has been 345,765,999,654,321 threads about HEB and the lack of other chains in San Antonio.

WILL SOMEONE PLEASE OPEN A SAFEWAY OR SOMETHING??????
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio