U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
 
Old 09-14-2014, 05:13 AM
 
62 posts, read 123,783 times
Reputation: 19

Advertisements

Dallas was my favorite city 5 years ago, but more recently it is beginning to have a more "Austin type vibe", so I am curious if San Antonio is anything like Dallas previously was?

I really appreciate a progressive, classy, successful yet down to earth,less boho hipster vibe, a city with decent nightlife and upscale areas. Would you consider San Antonio to be within that description?


I would love to hear everyone's impression and opinions of San Antonio! Thanks in Advance!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 09-14-2014, 05:27 AM
 
1,510 posts, read 1,547,574 times
Reputation: 1286
San Antonio is what you make of it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 09-15-2014, 08:39 AM
 
Location: San Antonio
425 posts, read 513,817 times
Reputation: 379
I can't relate to what you say Dallas used to be since I haven't lived there, only visited. SA will always have its own identity with its abundant culture and efforts on preserving history. From the adjectives you listed though, SA progresses but much slower than Dallas. Many people still have a small town mentality here and are more reluctant to spend. I would say the nightlife is decent, not up to the level of other Texas city metros but exists. I went out downtown and went to the clubs this weekend and had a fun time. There aren't as many 24 hr places after the clubs finish like I'm used to in Houston. All the other things you mentioned exist here. SA is currently in a bit of an identity transformation as it continues to progress much more rapidly than previous years so perhaps is a good time to hop on board.
Check out sa2020.org, urbantonio.com and do210.com as resources.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 09-15-2014, 08:51 AM
 
5,623 posts, read 6,413,241 times
Reputation: 3593
Quote:
Originally Posted by internetuser View Post
Dallas was my favorite city 5 years ago, but more recently it is beginning to have a more "Austin type vibe", so I am curious if San Antonio is anything like Dallas previously was?

I really appreciate a progressive, classy, successful yet down to earth,less boho hipster vibe, a city with decent nightlife and upscale areas. Would you consider San Antonio to be within that description?


I would love to hear everyone's impression and opinions of San Antonio! Thanks in Advance!
It seems like Austin is no longer the city it once was either. I still like Austin very much but it has a more pretentious feel to it now. Even the hipsters there are very pretentious too.

The best way to describe majority of San Antonio is that it is a place to raise a family. People here (and moving here) are very much hung up on being in the best subdivision and in the best school district. Seems like we have a new thread every day or other day with someone asking about where to live for the best schools, best suburbs, etc.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 09-15-2014, 08:57 AM
 
Location: San Antonio
3,746 posts, read 3,848,584 times
Reputation: 3196
San Antonio pretty much has everything Dallas does but on a smaller scale.

Shopping would be the same unless you are a part of the 1% crowd.

Dining in San Antonio is not as diverse yet but as expanded greatly in the last 5 years.

Entertainment would be a wash depending on what you are into.

Public transportation is underdeveloped in San Antonio when compared to Dallas.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 09-15-2014, 08:59 AM
 
Location: San Antonio
3,746 posts, read 3,848,584 times
Reputation: 3196
Quote:
Originally Posted by Azure110 View Post
It seems like Austin is no longer the city it once was either. I still like Austin very much but it has a more pretentious feel to it now. Even the hipsters there are very pretentious too.

The best way to describe majority of San Antonio is that it is a place to raise a family. People here (and moving here) are very much hung up on being in the best subdivision and in the best school district. Seems like we have a new thread every day or other day with someone asking about where to live for the best schools, best suburbs, etc.
Was how you would describe San Antonio...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 09-15-2014, 09:07 AM
 
5,623 posts, read 6,413,241 times
Reputation: 3593
Quote:
Originally Posted by rynetwo View Post
San Antonio pretty much has everything Dallas does but on a smaller scale.

Shopping would be the same unless you are a part of the 1% crowd.

Dining in San Antonio is not as diverse yet but as expanded greatly in the last 5 years.

Entertainment would be a wash depending on what you are into.

Public transportation is underdeveloped in San Antonio when compared to Dallas.
And this is how YOU would describe San Antonio.

Shopping is NOT the same. Dallas has way more. Aldi's, Krogers, Albertson's, etc. Way more grocery options.

Dining is the same to me.

The last two I agree with.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 09-15-2014, 04:05 PM
 
424 posts, read 508,914 times
Reputation: 455
Quote:
Originally Posted by Azure110 View Post
It seems like Austin is no longer the city it once was either. I still like Austin very much but it has a more pretentious feel to it now. Even the hipsters there are very pretentious too.

The best way to describe majority of San Antonio is that it is a place to raise a family. People here (and moving here) are very much hung up on being in the best subdivision and in the best school district. Seems like we have a new thread every day or other day with someone asking about where to live for the best schools, best suburbs, etc.
Except for the thousands moving into the urban core.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 09-15-2014, 04:06 PM
 
424 posts, read 508,914 times
Reputation: 455
Quote:
Originally Posted by Azure110 View Post
And this is how YOU would describe San Antonio.

Shopping is NOT the same. Dallas has way more. Aldi's, Krogers, Albertson's, etc. Way more grocery options.

Dining is the same to me.

The last two I agree with.
I doubt he was referring to grocery stores when talking about shopping.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:


Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

123
Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6. The time now is 04:27 PM.

2005-2019, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top