U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-25-2014, 07:07 AM

276 posts, read 866,267 times

Advertisements

Back to the original post... please post speed test results for iPhone 6 on Sprint Spark network.

Thank you.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-25-2014, 08:44 AM

944 posts, read 1,578,829 times
A friend of mine says he gets 30 down. If that's true I'm staying with them.

Old 09-25-2014, 09:21 AM

905 posts, read 1,355,234 times
Last night I saw a Sprint commercial, single line unlimited everything including data for only $50.00 a month. Now, if that's not enticing then I don't know what is..
I'm seriously thinking of switching my son from AT&T to Sprint. On occasion he does go over his data and it adds up quickly, plus his average phone bill is about $80.00 per month.

Old 09-25-2014, 10:40 AM

1,175 posts, read 1,172,794 times
Consider switching him to Prepaid Cell Phones, Unlimited Mobile Plans: StraightTalk Wireless
It's a little bit less than Sprint, you won't have to buy a new phone and he gets to stay on AT&T's network.
Oh, and he won't have to suffer the horror of hanging up a phone call for a minute to look something up on the internet...

It sounds like Sprint is just starting to get their stuff together after some years on mismanagement.

Old 09-26-2014, 07:45 PM

475 posts, read 969,108 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hoot Owl View Post
Back to the original post... please post speed test results for iPhone 6 on Sprint Spark network.

Thank you.
Here are a couple I found on the internet:

Speedtest.net by Ookla - My Results
Sprint Spark on your S5 - ALL SPARK discussi… - Pg. 10 | Sprint Samsung Galaxy S 5 | XDA Forums

Here is also a comment from March with a positive on speed, but a negative on coverage:

https://community.sprint.com/baw/message/762313

On a side tangent, here is a simplified summary of our wireless carriers' technologies:

Verizon and Sprint have been CDMA carriers for voice and data, and as such, simultaneous usage of voice and data has never been supported in their use of the technology; there was a technical specification in CDMA technology that allows for "multi-tasking", but they both made a decision not to upgrade to it, preferring to use the capital for LTE and spectrum.

at&t and T-Mobile, being GSM carriers, have had a technology that allows for simultaneous usage of voice and data.

LTE technology (which is significantly based off of CDMA, mixed in with some of the techniques used in GSM) is a very efficient data technology, and one that allows for something called VoLTE or Voice over LTE. Many people now do not have a legacy landline at home, but do have a digital phone line -- this is called VOIP, or Voice over Internet Protocol. VoLTE is similar to this for wireless phone service.

All carriers expect to eventually move their voice also to their LTE networks, at which point they can decommission their legacy CDMA and GSM networks. This may take a decade or so, but it will likely happen at some point.

T-Mobile and Verizon have or are in the process of launching their VoLTE service. at&t will follow in 2015, and Sprint will also eventually get to it.

By the way, Spark is just Sprint's marketing word for using Carrier Aggregation to use multiple frequency bands to increase data throughput, aka speed. All the carriers will be implementing this to some degree. However, right now, believe it or not, Sprint has the largest amount of spectrum for data of all the carriers, albeit much of it is at higher frequency bands. Still, it is not even close. Sprint just has not had enough subscribers and money to move quickly to build out their LTE networks (WiMax and the Nextel networks bled a lot of money). If Softbank (the new majority owner of Sprint) spends the big bucks, then Sprint will eventually get better, but it will cost some significant dough.

Old 09-27-2014, 07:49 AM

944 posts, read 1,578,829 times
I saw a speedtest from that friend of mine at a spot where he says he gets an ok connection and that was at 13 down. Not bad. At that same spot with my 3G I got .78!!

Old 11-02-2014, 08:43 PM

276 posts, read 866,267 times
Anyone getting Sprint Spark speeds in San Antonio? Anyone? Bueller?!

Thanks.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or