Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-27-2014, 08:45 PM

171 posts, read 311,397 times

Advertisements

Wife and I live near IH-10 and New Braunfels. SE side.

We've had sprint for years. Internet and phone was lousy and spotty. A few years ago the service improved. Now about year or so ago the Phone service quality dropped again. Internet works ok for the most part, but the phone keeps dropping. Frustrating to have a mobile phone take around 10 secs just to connect and start dialing only to realize it a bad connection and drops a few seconds into a call. All time you can hear the other person saying "hell---- hello-- o-- can -- he-- e... he--- o." CLICK!! No signal!! There have been times I've called the other person half a dozen times just to get a quick 2-3 minute conversation.

Unlimited data was the only reason we kept the plan so long. Wife called T-mobile to find out they now have an unlimited plan.

Opinions? Should we change. Any experience with both carriers or on our side of town.

Thanks.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-27-2014, 08:59 PM

475 posts, read 1,094,043 times
You don't say what phone you are using, but if you have an inkling to try an iPhone, I believe T-Mobile has a 10-day test drive available so you try it out and come to your own conclusion. T-Mobile usually has good service where they have coverage, which is most urban areas. However, they do have the smallest overall national footprint of all the carriers, so depending on how and where you need service, it may or may not be the best choice for you.

Also, I would assume that since you have been with Sprint for years and are holding on to an unlimited data plan, you are also a contract subscriber who receives a subsidy every two years to upgrade your phone. If you are regularly making use of this subsidy and do like to upgrade phones every two years, you might see a price increase moving to T-Mobile as all their plans do not include a subsidy; you pay off the full price of the phone over two years or buy it outright. This type of no contract plan is also now available on Sprint and the other carriers under various names.

Old 09-28-2014, 07:57 AM
Bo Bo won $500 in our forum's Most Engaging Poster Contest - Tenth Edition (Apr-May 2014). 

Over $104,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum and additional contests are planned

17,107 posts, read 38,108,718 times
T-Mobile has some attractive offers right now, but I already know that their coverage doesn't extend to my house in North Central SA. Not being able to use the phone at home is a deal-killer for me, and it sounds like it is for the OP, too.

Try their prepaid service with an inexpensive phone and see if the coverage meets their needs, OP.

Old 09-28-2014, 07:59 AM

172 posts, read 238,562 times
I had T-Mobile a few years back and the service if I was outside of my home was fantastic, however if I was even inside my house it was garbage. I switched to sprint and personally have had no complaints. There are 2 50 foot dead zones near my house, but I know where they are and deal with it. I know AT&T and Verizon both have dead zones nearby as well, which makes me think it might have something to do with the area around where I live.

Old 09-28-2014, 03:36 PM

321 posts, read 1,069,490 times
I am switching from AT&T to T-Mobile when I upgrade to the iPhone 6 pretty soon. The main reason is its wi-fi calling feature that routes your voice calls through your home wi-fi. Supposedly it takes care of the problem where you have weak service or dropped calls inside the house and instead uses your stronger wi-fi signal. I've had dropped calls inside the house with AT&T for years. I used to have Sprint about four years ago and I also got dropped calls inside the home. I spoke to a T-Mobile recently and they said they also give you a wi-fi router, that can co-exist along with your home's router, to handle phone calls and not get bogged down say if someone is streaming an HD movie. I work from home and keep a landline just to make phone calls since my cell was unreliable. I hope this wi-fi calling works as promised. Has anyone used it on previous phones that already supported it?

Old 09-28-2014, 09:49 PM

321 posts, read 1,069,490 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by StanStelle View Post
I am switching from AT&T to T-Mobile when I upgrade to the iPhone 6 pretty soon. The main reason is its wi-fi calling feature that routes your voice calls through your home wi-fi. Supposedly it takes care of the problem where you have weak service or dropped calls inside the house and instead uses your stronger wi-fi signal. I've had dropped calls inside the house with AT&T for years. I used to have Sprint about four years ago and I also got dropped calls inside the home. I spoke to a T-Mobile recently and they said they also give you a wi-fi router, that can co-exist along with your home's router, to handle phone calls and not get bogged down say if someone is streaming an HD movie. I work from home and keep a landline just to make phone calls since my cell was unreliable. I hope this wi-fi calling works as promised. Has anyone used it on previous phones that already supported it?

I forgot to include this link to T-Mobile's wi-fi calling: Wifi Calling & Wifi Extenders for Better Service at Home | T-Mobile

Old 09-28-2014, 10:52 PM

1,366 posts, read 4,487,743 times
I have Sprint and recently upgraded to a Samsung Galaxy Note 3 ... The day I upgraded, later that night, I got a software update that included Wi Fi calling on the phone ...

We have horrible reception in the house and even had Sprint send us an Air Rave unit to try to help with the dropped calls...

I will say that the Wi Fi calling has been working great... My mom says that I sound really clear and nobody else has complained about how I sound, other than my husband, who somehow knows when I am calling thru Wi Fi because he says my voice sometimes sounds distant... Other than my hubs, everyone else says the call quality is great and my dropped calls have been fewer...

Remember, if you are on a call thru Wi Fi and you leave the house while still on the call, the call will drop when it stops detecting the Wi Fi signal and tries connecting to a tower... I keep forgetting about that...

Old 09-29-2014, 08:58 AM

475 posts, read 1,094,043 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrstxcop View Post
Remember, if you are on a call thru Wi Fi and you leave the house while still on the call, the call will drop when it stops detecting the Wi Fi signal and tries connecting to a tower... I keep forgetting about that...
With certain phone models, the T-Mobile version of Wi-Fi calling is supposed to hand off to the cell network without the call dropping... At least that is the idea. I believe the new iPhone models allow this as do some Android models.

Old 09-29-2014, 08:58 AM

163 posts, read 199,122 times
I have personal experience as recent as this time last year with Sprint (HTC EVO 4G LTE) sucking royally in terms of data and phone calling anywhere in and around Boerne. I administrated company phones from all four majors for a year a half (until July of this year) and the reports from my, then, users concerning T-Mobile on iPhone 5s models in the Boerne area were abysmal (about the same a Sprint was for me out there)

Old 09-29-2014, 09:39 AM

11,495 posts, read 26,872,184 times
I have T Mobile and it works fine at home but my husband has really poor coverage at work (when he works the night shift, he climbs up to the roof if he needs to make a call). I complained about it to T Mobile and they sent a signal booster to use at our house. Of course that didn't do anything for my husband's issues at work, so when I complained again, T Mobile lowered our monthly bill by about $20.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio