Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-25-2011, 04:11 PM

3 posts, read 15,890 times

Advertisements

Hello!
My husband and I are moving to the area, and have been looking at houses in Terrell Hills/Heights. We are mid-to-late 20s, no kids (yet) but maybe in a few years, so schools are important. We love older neighborhoods that are established with lots of charm, character, trees, etc
We are leaning more towards Terrell Heights, and we love the small cottages there. I saw there is a neighborhood association, and that's great. The location is awesome and we love the walkability and nearby shops and restaurants. We wanted to know, from people that live in or around there, exactly what you think of it. Any and all comments or suggestions are welcome
Just a few generic questions:
Is it safe?
Is it a place where camaraderie exists and has a strong sense of community?
Is the population particularly older/younger? Singles/families? Active/not?

Thanks so much in advance guys!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-25-2011, 05:35 PM

4,324 posts, read 7,234,158 times
Although I don't live in Terrell Heights, I live in a nearby neighborhood.

Terrell Heights is located in the Alamo Heights School District, which many consider to be the area's most desirable school district. Most homes in Terrell Heights were built in the 1940s, after WWII. The neighborhood association there seems to be quite active, and holds periodic meetings and family picnics for residents. There is a new Target store under construction right now that backs to the neighborhood at the site of a recently demolished 1950s-era shopping center (Terrell Plaza) on Austin Highway. I would say many of the residents are younger families, what might have been called "yuppies" in the 1980s. Terrell Heights boundaries are entirely within the City of San Antonio.

Terrell Hills, just to the south of Terrell Heights is actually a separate municipality, with its own city government, police, fire, etc. Terrell Hills is mostly in the Alamo Heights School District, except for the eastern most portion, which is in the Northeast School District. Most of the homes in Terrell Hills are larger/more upscale than Terrell Heights, and so are the prices, at least the ones located in AHISD.

Old 09-25-2011, 06:26 PM

3,503 posts, read 19,886,388 times
Terrill Heights has always been a nice safe, hidden gem. Previous post says it all. I do think it is a turnover to some extent. Most people who bought there stayed and alot have reached the age where they are moving on.
Austin Hiway that borders the area is also going through a major rebirth with the Super Target. The areas is good and getting better.
PS: I also live close not IN Terrill Heights.

Old 09-25-2011, 06:44 PM

I might add that Terrell Heights is among the few neighborhoods in San Antonio where most of the streets have alley pickup for garbage/recyclables. Improvements were made to some of the alleys a year or two ago when the automated pickup of those materials was phased in there.

I can't speak for how it is done in the City of Terrell Hills.

Old 09-25-2011, 10:04 PM

1,803 posts, read 2,623,804 times
terrel heights borders alamo heights. great area, low crime, quiet neighborhood. i live within a couple of miles of TH, can attest to how great the neighborhood is.

close by is brackenridge and mahnke park, the zoo and the witte museum.

Old 09-26-2011, 07:17 AM

31 posts, read 142,258 times
If school districts are a consideration. Not all of Terrell Heights is considered within the Alamo Heights School District. Review the assigned district before moving/renting/purchasing.

Old 09-26-2011, 07:30 AM

7,005 posts, read 12,475,795 times
Garner MS and MacArthur HS aren't bad schools. It's been awhile since I've been in school, so I don't know if the border has changed between Roosevelt and MacArthur or Garner and Krueger. If Northwood ES serves any of that area, it's a great school. Wilshire ES specializes in special education, but that's all I know about it.

Old 09-26-2011, 07:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guerinat View Post
If school districts are a consideration. Not all of Terrell Heights is considered within the Alamo Heights School District. Review the assigned district before moving/renting/purchasing.
The east boundary for AHISD to the south of Eisenhauer Rd. runs along Vandiver. That would include most, if not all of Terrell Heights.

Old 09-26-2011, 08:38 AM

490 posts, read 1,094,755 times
I know quite a few people who live in Terrell Heights

Many fit your demographic (20's). "newly wed or nearly dead" as the saying goes

The vast majority if not all of Terrell Heights is AHISD.

Neighborhood group is very active. A friend told me there were 160 people at the last meeting.

Old 09-26-2011, 12:46 PM

3 posts, read 15,890 times
wow, thanks guys! All great information and comments. Good to know there's low crime rate and an active association.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio