U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-09-2014, 11:09 AM

334 posts, read 445,729 times

Advertisements

I'm looking at few cities since moving is a possibility for me. I haven't been to San Antonio in 5-10 years so I wasn't sure where to start looking when I saw some places online.

I looked up apartments and it seems like the ones I can find using filters I want are in the north side of San Antonio. Are there any neighborhoods that you would recommend? Living close to work is not as important as living somewhere safe and quiet, but I won't commute too far just for that factor alone. I would like to keep rent under $1000, but I'll consider places that are up to $1500/month.

I've heard that it can get pretty hot in San Antonio. How does it compare to Dallas in the summer?

Is the traffic as bad as what you see in Austin or slightly better?

How far and how long do you usually commute to work?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-09-2014, 11:19 AM

2,651 posts, read 6,509,036 times
Summers are far more tolerable than dallas. Traffic is far better than Austin. I'm in my late 20's and live inside loop 410 I think I would kill myself before living outside loop 1604.

Old 10-09-2014, 12:31 PM

6,149 posts, read 8,609,100 times
$1000 to $1500 will get you anything in San Antonio, even something snazzy downtown. You'll be fine anywhere on that budget. My commute is about 17 minutes door to door with little to no traffic (done on purpose) but can go up to 30 minutes for about an 8 mile drive. From my experience, people have commutes of about 20-30 minutes.

Where you end up moving, I feel, as someone in their early 30s, is really dependent on the type of activities you like to do and the people you want to be around. Are you an outdoorsy person? Want to be near the water? Bars? Biking? Running? Military stuff? Since graduating from college I have lived just inside 1604, just inside and just outside of 410. My only issue with living within the city is grocery shopping and that seems to be a common theme for many people in San Antonio (and a barrier to moving downtown) however, this is a known issue and at least one grocery store will be going into a downtown area soon.

I hope that helped. And yes, summers are sticky and hot, but after living in Dallas for a summer I would take our summer over Dallas's in a heartbeat. Good luck.

Last edited by ashbeeigh; 10-09-2014 at 01:38 PM.. Reason: spelling

Old 10-09-2014, 01:22 PM

818 posts, read 982,611 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ashbeeigh View Post
$1000 to $1500 will get you anything in San Antonio, even something snazzy downtown. You'll be fine anywhere on that budget. My commute is about 17 minutes door to door with little to no traffic (done on purpose) but can go up to 30 minutes for about an 8 mile drive. From my experience, people have commutes of about 20-30 minutes.

Where you end up moving, I fell, as someone in their early 30s, is really dependent on the type of activities you like to do and the people you want to be around. Are you an outdoorsy person? Want to be near the water? Bars? Biking? Running? Military stuff? Since graduating from college I have lived just inside 1604, just inside and just outside of 410. My only issue with living within the city is grocery shopping and that seems to be a common theme for many people in San Antonio (and a barrier to moving downtown) however, this is a known issue and at least one grocery store will be going into a downtown area soon.

I hope that helped. And yes, summers are sticky and hot, but after living in Dallas for a summer I would take our summer over Dallas's in a heartbeat. Good luck.
^^^ These are the right questions to be asking. Your budget isn't going to limit your options.

In addition, are you planning on attending school? Do you intend to be hitting up clubs or are you looking for more of a laid back lifestyle? Are you planning on getting into sports? More information about your lifestyle would help us give you a better indication of areas that would fit your needs.

I agree with SMU that traffic in SA is no where near as bad as Austin. I disagree about the summers. San Antonio has the worst summers of any place I've ever lived and it last 6-8 months a year.

Old 10-09-2014, 01:58 PM

424 posts, read 508,914 times
I'd recommend either downtown, midtown, or southtown. You'll find very nice apartments or homes for rent in all of those districts.

As for summer, it's comparable to Dallas but just lasts a bit longer than Dallas. Both will be in the mid to high 90s on average with 100 degree days being less rare as the summer plays on. However, unlike Dallas, San Antonio benefits from the coastal winds during those 100 degree days.

Traffic in San Antonio is probably the best of any big Texas city. Unless there's an accident or construction that closes lanes, any congestion will come during "rush hour" which is maybe a two hour block twice a Fay, once in the morning and once in the late afternoon. However, this "congestion" is not universal to all the freeways in SA as there are freeways that have free flowing traffic during rush hour.

Old 10-09-2014, 02:04 PM

351 posts, read 448,003 times
You've gotten a lot of good input so far.

I've spent years in both places and the heat here won't kill you like it will in Dallas. Downside is we don't have a Fall and a Spring like Dallas. (or a winter).

Old 10-09-2014, 03:13 PM

334 posts, read 445,729 times
Quote:

Where you end up moving, I feel, as someone in their early 30s, is really dependent on the type of activities you like to do and the people you want to be around. Are you an outdoorsy person? Want to be near the water? Bars? Biking? Running? Military stuff? Since graduating from college I have lived just inside 1604, just inside and just outside of 410. My only issue with living within the city is grocery shopping and that seems to be a common theme for many people in San Antonio (and a barrier to moving downtown) however, this is a known issue and at least one grocery store will be going into a downtown area soon.

I like spending time outdoors, probably as much as possible outside of work and I would like to be near the water, preferably lakes.

I go to bars every now and then. I like places that have seating outdoors and have a patio. I do like riding bikes but I don't have one right now so I'll have to get one. I usually like to go running in parks and nice trails. Running around a golf course trail would be fine.

Being close to grocery stores is important.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bspray View Post
^^^ These are the right questions to be asking. Your budget isn't going to limit your options.

In addition, are you planning on attending school? Do you intend to be hitting up clubs or are you looking for more of a laid back lifestyle? Are you planning on getting into sports? More information about your lifestyle would help us give you a better indication of areas that would fit your needs.

I agree with SMU that traffic in SA is no where near as bad as Austin. I disagree about the summers. San Antonio has the worst summers of any place I've ever lived and it last 6-8 months a year.
I'll be working and won't be in school. I'd go to clubs once I meet enough people and we get together to hang out. I like playing volleyball and tennis. I haven't played soccer in a while but I'd be willing to try that again.

I enjoy trying different types of food so a lot of options in dining would be a plus.

Old 10-09-2014, 03:33 PM

1,792 posts, read 2,436,487 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fpsbob View Post
I like spending time outdoors, probably as much as possible outside of work and I would like to be tohe water, preferably lakes.

I go to bars every now and then. I like places that have seating outdoors and have a patio. I do like riding bikes but I don't have one right now so I'll have to get one. I usually like to go running in parks and nice trails. Running around a golf course trail would be fine.

I'll be working and won't be in school. I'd go to clubs once I meet enough people and we get together to hang out. I like playing volleyball and tennis. I haven't played soccer in a while but I'd be willing to try that again.

I enjoy trying different types of food so a lot of options in dining would be a plus.
You will see the most people outdoors biking, jogging, walking, etc. around the Pearl or Southtown. Canyon Lake is the closet lake to San Antonio that is not dried up. Canyon is about 30-45 minutes away, depending on your side of town. There are good parks scattered all across the city. Spend a weekend driving around town to see what side of town fits you the most. Most young professionals like yourself are moving close to downtown.

Old 10-09-2014, 03:57 PM

6,149 posts, read 8,609,100 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fpsbob View Post
I like spending time outdoors, probably as much as possible outside of work and I would like to be near the water, preferably lakes.

I see people have already pointed you toward the hipster parts of San Antonio, which is fine. But, again, groceries (I think Olmos Park and areas north of downtown have better options for groceries). In regard to outdoor activities, there are trails, parks, and groups that get together ALL the time for outdoorsy stuff. The Leon Creek Greenway, The Salado Creek Greenway, McAllister Park, the Riverwalk...all great options for running and not short distances, but pretty long ones. And living like right where everyone is, isn't necessary. 20 minutes to get almost anywhere in the early mornings on weekends if you're going to go and do something before it gets too hot. Like I said, I have lived outside and inside 410 and have no complaints about getting places to do things outdoors. I live within a mile of one HEB and another 2 in the opposite direction to another HEB with at Wal-Mart in between.

Old 10-09-2014, 04:23 PM

1,792 posts, read 2,436,487 times
Quote:
I see people have already pointed you toward the hipster parts of San Antonio, which is fine. But, again, groceries (I think Olmos Park and areas north of downtown have better options for groceries). In regard to outdoor activities, there are trails, parks, and groups that get together ALL the time for outdoorsy stuff. The Leon Creek Greenway, The Salado Creek Greenway, McAllister Park, the Riverwalk...all great options for running and not short distances, but pretty long ones. And living like right where everyone is, isn't necessary. 20 minutes to get almost anywhere in the early mornings on weekends if you're going to go and do something before it gets too hot. Like I said, I have lived outside and inside 410 and have no complaints about getting places to do things outdoors. I live within a mile of one HEB and another 2 in the opposite direction to another HEB with at Wal-Mart in between.
When the two story Nogolitos HEB reopens this winter it will be 1.5 miles from Southtown. I point out hipster parts of town because I can walk a block from my door and be on the river or walk/bike to restaurants, bars, concerts, festivals, art galleries, etc. All the green belts you mentioned are great also. I just enjoy using my vehicle as little as possible after work or on the weekends. And I'm a big car guy.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or