U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-30-2007, 12:57 AM

5 posts, read 12,260 times

Advertisements

We are looking at a possible transfer to RAFB and we will have 2 children in schools (7th & 9th grades). We would like any info on the cities/towns around; schools, housing market, subdivisions. ect.

Good and bad on any and all the areas around would be greatly appreciated!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-30-2007, 08:19 AM

529 posts, read 2,496,200 times
Hi
Good luck in your move. Here is something I wish somone had told me before I purchased a house in Bexar County. Your car insurance will be cheaper if you live in Guadelupe County. RAFB is actually in Guadelupe County. Bexar County is very close - it's the metro area - where San Antonio is acutally located. Double check with you car insurance company. I also believe that your city property taxes might be cheaper in Guadelupe County cities (Universal City, Schertz, Cibolo, etc..). To check, Google Bexar County Tax Assessor and/or Guadelupe County Tax Assesor

Oh yeah, one more thing. If you buy a house, make sure you have a thorough inspection. Maybe even professional structural inspection. Lot's of foundation issues. Take some time to google the home builders. Some of them have bad reputations, but you can decide for yourself. You can read a lot of posts on this forum on that issue as well.
Take Care

Old 12-30-2007, 10:08 AM

251 posts, read 634,235 times
Quote:
RAFB is actually in Guadelupe County.
What map are you looking at, Randolph AFB is in Bexar county. It touches the Bexar/Guadelupe county borders.

Old 12-30-2007, 11:16 AM

486 posts, read 1,020,124 times
Hey Fam welcome to the forum and to Randolph AFB if you end up here. My husband just finished EWO/Nav school at Randolph. I will be here til Dec 08 feel free to ask me anything about stuff around the area and I will do my best to help. We live in a small neighborhood about 5 miles from the base I always call it the garden subdivision its right across from HEB at 1604 and Kitty Hawk. Nice neighborhood close to the base and everyones friendly. We are the second military family to have rented this house.

Old 12-30-2007, 08:33 PM

24 posts, read 113,921 times
Welcome to San Antonio. I retired out of Randolph just over 5 years ago. The town of Schertz is within Guadalupe County, and one of the fastest growing housing markets in the states (Better tax rates, lower insurance). Some nice areas are right off I 35, and some high-end neighborhoods (Garden Ridge) can be found NW of I 35. We moved a little closer to the San Antonio Airport, (good compromise for commute times to any post retirement work location in town). As for schools, consider visiting the school accountability website. http://www.tea.state.tx.us/perfreport/account/
If you're considering working in San Antonio, the I 35 and Loop 410/Walzem Rd area is a persistent traffic jam during commute times. Additionally, there's a lot of road construction on the north side of Loop 410.
Hope this helps.
<><

Old 12-30-2007, 10:52 PM

5 posts, read 12,260 times
Thank you all for the information!

We have been looking online quite a bit (being stationed outside the US makes it harder to look in person) at the areas. We have checked the school testing ratios and have been pretty happy with Cibalo and Schertz. We would like more personal accounts of the schools as well.

We are thinking of retiring there to at least let the kids finish school there.

Old 12-30-2007, 11:00 PM

3,183 posts, read 7,439,390 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Famof5 View Post
Thank you all for the information!

We have been looking online quite a bit (being stationed outside the US makes it harder to look in person) at the areas. We have checked the school testing ratios and have been pretty happy with Cibalo and Schertz. We would like more personal accounts of the schools as well.

We are thinking of retiring there to at least let the kids finish school there.
Also, Randolph has its own ISD, and has excellent schools.

Old 12-30-2007, 11:01 PM

925 posts, read 900,218 times
If you are looking for housing off the base, your first choices should be Schertz or Cibolo. Schertz is ranked tops in the state for living. People are starting to take notice of Schertz (and Cibolo) as the population growth has been explosive. In 2000 the population in Schertz was 18,000. Today it over is 42,000. In Cibolo, the 200 population was 3,000. Today it's near 20,000.

Old 12-31-2007, 08:24 AM

5 posts, read 50,267 times
Exclamation Home For Sale

We are an military family that just moved from the RAFB area and have a home for sale close to the base. It is in the city of Garden Ridge, TX. It is an upscale bedroom community. It is located in Comal County not Bexar. (Sounds like "BEAR") which has a much higher tax rate. The Home is located at 19902 Regency Run, Garden Ridge, TX. It is priced in the range of 425 to 450K range depending on closing cost. If you are interested, I can send you more information.

Thanks

Old 12-31-2007, 11:30 AM

24 posts, read 113,921 times
There are several rules for attending the Randolph Schools... but if you qualify, it's one of the best in the area. Great academics and lots of outside activities. You may have to live on base, which is tough unless your husband is an O6+ or an E9. The waiting list can be over a year. Our son graduated from near by Judson HS. A perennial championship caliber football program, and decent AP academics. Appears to promote sports over academics... but that's just an opinion.
South of the base you can find rural living and large acreage at a reasonable price. Additionally, Floresville seems to be a rapidly growing community.
A large number of Randolph personnel live in the Stone Oak area, (just north of the 281/1604 intersection). It seems to be a bit over "over-built" with significant traffic issues. A large section of 281 will probably become a toll road soon to help traffic congestion.
Bottom line, the Randolph area has a wide range of housing opportunities. From New Braunfels to Floresville to Windcrest to Schertz/Cibilo to San Antonio. It will take some time to go through all of the options.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio