Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-26-2014, 07:07 PM

1,647 posts, read 2,062,074 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by kayanne View Post
Nope, real estate agent didn't mention it. And if she did, what were we supposed to do, since my husband had already accepted a job here? Should we have not moved to San Antonio? It doesn't seem that anywhere in the area is guaranteed to stay free of these hogs.

And trust me, we did a lot of homework before moving here---but I certainly didn't google "feral hogs" because I'd never heard of them before.
I don't know if you shouldn't have moved here..that's your decision. I definitely would have asked your agent what types of critters may be around. I've done that with every move we've made. I'm a city person too..but knew this would be different. Probably won't find any downtown.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-26-2014, 07:20 PM

9,848 posts, read 13,687,247 times
1604 and 90 is still out. Up until maybe the last like 8 years there was nothing out there. For all my 25ish years in San Antonio the only time i have ever seen wild hogs in a neighborhood (or at all) is driving south toward Victoria. While it seems like it's a thing, I have never met anyone (outside of those in the far out country in the Victoria area) and people on this forum who have experienced a wild hog problem. While I sympathize with you kayanne, I really think it's an overreaction to say you shouldn't have moved here because of hogs. It's tough, but there are some valid suggestions here. And as far as critters, coyotes, raccoons, possums, rattle snakes, etc will also be in your area. So watch out.

Old 10-26-2014, 07:42 PM

7,005 posts, read 12,471,290 times
I lived in San Antonio for almost 30 years. The only time I saw a wild hog was when I worked out in the middle of nowhere on the south side. I agree that 1604 and 90 is far out and was "the country" not too long ago. In the well-established neighborhoods I lived in, the only large wildlife I saw were deer and one coyote. I didn't even see a scorpion until I worked on the south side.

Old 10-26-2014, 08:13 PM

6,471 posts, read 6,670,076 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ashbeeigh View Post
While I sympathize with you kayanne, I really think it's an overreaction to say you shouldn't have moved here because of hogs. It's tough, but there are some valid suggestions here. And as far as critters, coyotes, raccoons, possums, rattle snakes, etc will also be in your area. So watch out.
I wasn't suggesting that we shouldn't have moved here. I asked that somewhat sarcastically to the poster who chided me for moving to a neighborhood without knowing there would be hog problems. Whether I knew it before we moved here, or whether we'd lived here for decades prior to the hogs becoming a problem.....it doesn't matter. I just wanted to know what some solutions were. The only solution that has been mentioned in this thread is to hire a trapper. I had already learned of that remedy, as it was discussed in the news video I posted. I had hoped there were other choices too, but perhaps not. Our neighborhood is having a meeting this week to discuss the problem, and I wanted to have some ideas to contribute.

Old 10-26-2014, 08:42 PM

11,578 posts, read 13,942,704 times
Holy Schnikes!!! If that was my yard, you can bet your A** I'd be out there with my gun waiting for them to return. That's thousands of dollars in sod ruined.

Lived in the Hill Country and SA for 27 years and have never seen a wild hog in the flesh or seen damage caused by them. Check with the local law enforcement and see what options are available to "alleviate" the problem.

Old 10-26-2014, 09:11 PM

9,848 posts, read 13,687,247 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kayanne View Post
I wasn't suggesting that we shouldn't have moved here. I asked that somewhat sarcastically to the poster who chided me for moving to a neighborhood without knowing there would be hog problems. Whether I knew it before we moved here, or whether we'd lived here for decades prior to the hogs becoming a problem.....it doesn't matter. I just wanted to know what some solutions were. The only solution that has been mentioned in this thread is to hire a trapper. I had already learned of that remedy, as it was discussed in the news video I posted. I had hoped there were other choices too, but perhaps not. Our neighborhood is having a meeting this week to discuss the problem, and I wanted to have some ideas to contribute.

Ahh. Well then. I'm sorry to say I haven't heard of any other options. But, then again, I haven't ever experienced it.

Old 10-26-2014, 09:13 PM

10,420 posts, read 10,822,779 times
Round 'em up and drop 'em on ISIS or ISEL whatever they are called today.

Old 10-27-2014, 01:36 AM

11,495 posts, read 26,859,038 times
I live in the neighborhood in the video. Last year, our HOA paid to trap the hogs. This year we can't do that because they're building houses on the land where the traps were set last year.

I just went to take my garbage out at 2 am and there were at least a dozen hogs running down the street. I didn't stick around to count them. They look like a pack of really big dogs running (we get packs of dogs out here too) but they make a clattering sound when they run.

Old 10-27-2014, 06:34 AM

5,012 posts, read 7,870,090 times
Suppressed .22 should do the trick. I've seen hunters on TV kill them with a well placed round from an air powered pellet gun too.

Old 10-27-2014, 06:52 AM

6,705 posts, read 8,771,270 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Philosophizer View Post
Suppressed .22 should do the trick. I've seen hunters on TV kill them with a well placed round from an air powered pellet gun too.
You still didn't explain what city slickers living "in the country" should do with dead hogs once they shoot them all.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio