Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-27-2014, 09:12 AM

13 posts, read 10,552 times

Advertisements

I am orginally from San Antonio. I moved to Houston over a year ago to 'start fresh' and find work there. I won't say I lived a sheltered life, but at my age, I can put this as another experience under my belt.
I understand that not being able to find work in Houston is due largely to massive competition in a city that has about 2-3 times the population to that of San Antonio.

My original plan was to move to Austin but when I met someone through Facebook via mutual friends, I told him my plans of starting fresh and he suggested to move to Houston since it was a bigger city. Bigger doesn't always mean better but the adventure factor was exciting. I moved there, stayed with him and we ended up marrying each other. So that was ACES in my book.

After he had a falling out in Houston with HIS employer, he tried looking, as well, for another job in Houston. He has a degree in Aviation Mgmt and couldn't find ANYTHING. So now he has to start all over again and possibly in another field. We're both in our 40's with grown kids and it's tough to decide the best road to take in our job/career search.

We decided to move back to San Antonio (he, for the first time) and give it a whirl. We've been close to landing something. Just not chosen as THE candidate to get hired. It's been over a year since I've worked and it's just getting harder with no recent experience I think. Depends, I guess. I miss Houston, don't get me wrong. It's beautiful there but just too much traffic and concrete jungle unless you're lucky to live by the coast.

SO...I know this is a call center city. Been there, done that. Don't want to do that anymore. My patience wears thin on phones and sitting for long periods of time. It's not for me, anymore. I'm looking into admin work as I have done in the past.

Does anyone have any USEFUL information on tricks and ways to better search for work besides taking the Craigslist, Monster, CB, Indeed ways? My brain is about fried at this point and trying to use my lifelines if I have any.

I'm new to this forum. I've come across it Googling stuffs and thought this would be a good way to get some info.

Thanks, ya'll.

Mrs. Luke
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-27-2014, 11:17 AM

14,637 posts, read 34,910,241 times
Have you thought about working for a temp agency? I know several people who have gotten good jobs this way. You usually start out making a little less but once the company gets to know you and decides to bring you on board, they bump up your pay. Good luck, I'm going to go back to work some day ( I've been off for 3 years ) and at my age I'm also a little concerned about the gap on my resume.

Old 10-27-2014, 03:31 PM

432 posts, read 519,974 times
Keep looking, I'm sure you will connect before long.

Things are much worse after you turn 50 years old: You will be lucky to get interviewed for anything after 50 if you are one of the "unprotected" demographics. And that is true no matter your experience or contacts in you field of expertise.

A tip I can offer: recruiters almost exclusively roam LinkedIn, CB, and Monster once they have a job order from an employer. Then they check Facebook to evaluate tattoos and piercings among other things.

Old 10-27-2014, 03:55 PM

9,843 posts, read 13,602,503 times
Assuming you are younger, consider joining The San Antonio Young Professionals Group. It would be a great networking opportunity for you. San Antonio Chapter | Texas Young Professionals

Old 10-27-2014, 07:32 PM

5,004 posts, read 7,846,055 times
It's about to be a whole lot more if oil keeps droppin'

Old 10-28-2014, 10:56 AM

520 posts, read 777,920 times
My wife used several temp agencies to look for office admin work and landed the first one in a couple weeks. She didn't really enjoy the environment and when combined with the commute she vacated it pretty quick. Took about another month before she was placed again with different company on a contract with a large aerospace industry company located near Lackland.

Pay here is, as a whole, is lower than market averages. She's making a little less than she did doing much the same thing in northwestern NM for Pepsi Bottling despite having just completed an A.A.S. Although there are employers/jobs around town that do pay above market norms, you just have to look.

The only tip I can give is for your SO to be sure to check industry centric job sites and find out who does the subcontracting for the big companies in town. I'm in IT and found my position on Dice.com though it was through a subcontractor so I had no idea who the actual employer was until we started talking.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio