U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-31-2007, 04:14 PM

45 posts, read 168,849 times

Advertisements

All,

I'll be re-locating to San Antonio from the DFW area soon. The DFW metromess has a large amount of man made lakes surrounding area to support the population.

I don't see an abundance of man-made lakes surrounding San Antonio and I've heard that the Edwards Aquifer region is not in the best of shape. How does San Antonio (Bexar County) and the surrounding counties plan to supply water to the ever expanding population growth?

Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-31-2007, 04:20 PM

13,807 posts, read 26,291,155 times
They say they manage it, but everything usually goes out the door as long as the $ is right. Mostly full of corruption down here and completely uncontrolled growth.
but other than that.. I'm moving..

Old 12-31-2007, 04:31 PM
Bo Bo won $500 in our forum's Most Engaging Poster Contest - Tenth Edition (Apr-May 2014). 

Over $104,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum and additional contests are planned

16,814 posts, read 33,124,702 times
The San Antonio Water System (SAWS) is developing alternative water sources to the Edwards Aquifer. SAWS is the water utility for most of San Antonio.

Old 12-31-2007, 04:36 PM

925 posts, read 893,228 times
SAWS has a pretty lengthly water plan (100 years?).

Old 12-31-2007, 04:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bowie View Post
The San Antonio Water System (SAWS) is developing alternative water sources to the Edwards Aquifer. SAWS is the water utility for most of San Antonio.
Thanks Bowie!
This is good info! At least it looks like they have a plan in place.
Converting brackish water (yummy) and using desalination plants may be couple of ways to save the aquifers from being depleted. Do you know if Kendall, Comal, and Medina counties all feed off of SAWS for water if their supplies run low?

Old 12-31-2007, 04:50 PM

944 posts, read 2,801,807 times
I have asked that same question, and it's a good one, if I do say so myself. The San Antonio Express News did a huge feature article on the water situation here. I can't remember the date now, but it was maybe a month or so ago, and appeared on a Monday. The general idea was that SA is in trouble long-term like a lot of other places. Because your average person seems not to be concerned with knowing how long they'll have drinking water, it's going to be hard to get anyone to say something other than "Oh, it's fine, don't worry about it." People's defense mechanisms prevent them from wrapping their minds around these things, but that will change sooner than later, I fear.

I'm just guessing, but I can't imagine that in a severe drought that the lakes around Dallas would last any longer than the Edwards Aquifer, which is huge. And remember that if you move to a place with more water reserves, when things get so bad that cities have to evacuate, cities with water will see an influx of hundreds of thousands of people that will clean out their reserves too. I don't think there will be a safe zone unless you hit the Pacific Northwest (because they are supposed to see wetter weather as a result of global warming).

Old 12-31-2007, 05:23 PM

7,629 posts, read 14,339,010 times
Yea, and even IF Hello's doom and gloom scenario and all the other "the sky is falling" folks are wrong about the entire global warming scam....more importantly we have that damn blind salamander that create water use issues.... As long as that critter wants to live in the Aquifer spread springs, no tree hugging fool is willing to allow humans to take water out of the aquifer after a certain level to ensure its safety and well being. (we can all die, but that salamander will not go thirsty!!!) Kinda reminds me of the old spotted owl campaign years ago where all these folks in the NW LOST their JOBS and the economy suffered to save the forest for the poor spotted owl...only AFTER the devestating fires once everyone was jobless AND the spotted owls all lost their homes was it decided in a study that the logging that HAD occurred before the ban actually offered a natural barrier to the overgrowth issues that allowed the fires that ravaged the sacred area. Sad, but true story.

Here is some info on our own little critter if interested...

http://www.edwardsaquifer.net/species.html

Last edited by Paka; 12-31-2007 at 05:35 PM..

Old 12-31-2007, 05:41 PM

778 posts, read 2,217,901 times
I'm not sure how true this is but a friend told me that sometime in the 1940's or 50's, the aquifer started going low so some group of people concerned about the welfare of the salamander actually got a bunch of them in buckets and relocated them to a temporary location - another stream or someplace not affected by the aquifer. When the aquifer naturally returned and the springs were no longer dry, they moved the salamanders back into their natural habitat.

Sounds almost commonsensical! Not sure how true that is though.

Old 12-31-2007, 05:43 PM

7,629 posts, read 14,339,010 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SilverCreek78250 View Post
I'm not sure how true this is but a friend told me that sometime in the 1940's or 50's, the aquifer started going low so some group of people concerned about the welfare of the salamander actually got a bunch of them in buckets and relocated them to a temporary location - another stream or someplace not affected by the aquifer. When the aquifer naturally returned and the springs were no longer dry, they moved the salamanders back into their natural habitat.

Sounds almost commonsensical! Not sure how true that is though.
That was actually TRUE and it was the 1990's that it occurred!!!

(may have also happened in the 40's or 50's...but how silly is that???

Old 12-31-2007, 05:46 PM

Hmmmm....well, if SAWS and the Edwards Aquifer people really do have a plan of attack, then there's water for everyone!

And Paka some of those critters look mighty edible, just in case we all need to go into survival mode!

I agree with Hello about the severe drought water issues around the DFW area and that's why I was curious about the water issues in SA. We saw local lake levels here drop way down years ago in the DFW area which put a severe crimp in the water reserves. Now, DFW is going out and tying into large lakes like Richland Chambers (south of DFW) and lakes north of DFW.

Now if SAWS can react quickly and do that same type of hook-up to other sources within the next 4-5 years, that would alleviate my concerns!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio