U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-30-2014, 04:58 AM

2 posts, read 1,736 times

Advertisements

So I'll be moving to the San Antonio area in a few weeks from Houston and had a few questions since I've been there several times as a tourist but know next to nothing about the actual layout of the city.

I will be working northeast of San Antonio close to I-35. It's a Schertz address and the actual location is roughly 1/2 between 1604 and New Braunfels. I am a 31 year old guy, single so not quite ready for the total suburbia existence and would opt for a more "urban" location. On the complete opposite I'd probably rather go more rural and find a spot by the river than have a large house on a cul-de-sac. So one extreme or the other I guess. However, I don't necessarily need to be right next door to the hot spots, bar scene, etc. In Houston I live inside the loop and drive counterflow to traffic about 25 minutes each way. I'm comfortable with that and would not want the commute to average more than 40 minutes. So any areas come to mind that would fit that description? I would prefer to rent first to get a feel but could buy for a good deal. My price range is no more than $1,800 a month. Open to apartments, townhomes, a small freestanding home in an area with good proximity to cultural stuff.

Also, any general thoughts on what type of place you can get for my price range? I'm under the impression that your dollar goes further in SA than it does in inner loop Houston where I'm currently paying $1600 and change for a 950 sq ft 1-study-1.

Sorry if I'm asking a common question but everyone's situation is a little different so just wanted to ask. Thanks for any info!

Last edited by TravisA; 10-30-2014 at 05:58 AM.. Reason: clarified wording
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-30-2014, 02:14 PM

6,140 posts, read 8,598,808 times
For $1800 a month you can get a nice house in the Schertz area. Search for 78154 at realtor to see what's available. There are quite a few rentals in the area due to the sizable military population in the 1604/35 areas.

What I would recommend, though, is being in the Alamo Heights/Harry Wurzbach(ish) area. This will keep you right by 35, but within a very easy commute of your Schertz destination. I don't think I would work directly downtown as traffic is just horrible on 35 all the time.

If you want to be rural, though, I would look in the Marion area for a small house. You are very close to Schertz (just get on FM 1518) but also out and sort of (I guess?) close to the Guadalupe River and Lake McQueeny.

Good luck

Old 10-31-2014, 09:09 AM

2 posts, read 1,736 times
Thanks, I have heard good things about the Alamo Heights area and will definitely look into it.

Old 10-31-2014, 10:49 AM

2,651 posts, read 6,506,299 times
I would choose areas in the city of San antonio, but still in the alamo heights zipcodes, 78209. Windcrest is nice too, zipcodes 78239

Old 11-01-2014, 12:16 PM

39 posts, read 75,887 times
If you don't want the suburbs, check New Braunfels. They have a some great condos by the river.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or