Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-02-2014, 09:17 AM

6,705 posts, read 8,771,270 times

Advertisements

Today, I tried buying ginger beer at Alon HEB and was told that they won't sell this on sunday morning. This is an non-alcoholic drink very much like root beer. I tried to explain this to the cashier but she wouldn't bulge. She wouldn't even get a manager for me saying no matter what, they can't sell it on Sunday morning.

Does the law banning sale of alcohol on Sunday morning really include non-alcoholic items such as non-alcoholic ginger beer? The ginger beer was located near the tonic water by the wine section, but I don't see how this makes a difference.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-02-2014, 10:27 AM

8 posts, read 14,562 times
I wouldn't think the law would apply, I've been able to buy ginger beer from HEB and not even get ID'd. I'm curious to hear from somebody else who would know the exact answer to this as well.

Old 11-02-2014, 10:32 AM

8,238 posts, read 10,721,107 times
I have a feeling the cashiers are taught to be broken records over beer sales on Sunday so when something comes up that they THINK fits the bill they just go into robot mode.

Either way, it's a stupid law - as I am sitting here watching the clock so I can make a beer run.

Old 11-02-2014, 10:36 AM

4,323 posts, read 7,228,886 times
Some "non-alcoholic" beers actually do have a small amount of alcohol. I think it has to be less than .5% to be eligible for sale on Sunday before noon, but I'm not positive.

It might be just because it says "beer" on the label, or it may be a case where the store finds it easier to prohibit the sale of all products obtained from alcoholic beverage distributors, rather than risk getting fined for selling an item they really aren't supposed to.

Old 11-02-2014, 04:18 PM

894 posts, read 1,545,948 times
Just an uninformed cashier. Part of the dismal tide of ignorance. Had a similar experience trying to use a coupon for "fresh meat" at an HEB and the cashier insisted that the tenderized steak from their meat department didn't qualify as fresh.

Old 11-02-2014, 06:54 PM
Bo Bo won $500 in our forum's Most Engaging Poster Contest - Tenth Edition (Apr-May 2014). 

Over $104,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum and additional contests are planned

17,107 posts, read 38,096,265 times
I wonder why HEB can't just program their cash registers to NOT ring up forbidden items during the hours those products can't be sold? Te register already alerts them to check ID and enter the birth date on alcohol purchases.

Old 11-02-2014, 09:06 PM

8,238 posts, read 10,721,107 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bo View Post
I wonder why HEB can't just program their cash registers to NOT ring up forbidden items during the hours those products can't be sold? Te register already alerts them to check ID and enter the birth date on alcohol purchases.
It does. Not only that but if they start a transaction at say 11:58 but dont get to the alcohol until say 12:01 it wont let them complete the sale because even though the alcohol was rung up after 12 the transaction started before 12. I saw it happen once to a guy in front of me and that was the explanation they gave him. They had to void the whole thing and do it again since it was now after 12

Old 11-02-2014, 09:19 PM

6,705 posts, read 8,771,270 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bo View Post
The ginger beer was flagged in the cash register (sorry I forgot to mention that in my earlier post) but packaging says "non-alcoholic". I usually buy a different brand with no problem but I guess this particular brand has a small amount despite the packaging label as ged_782 pointed out or HEB is being extra cautious. I understand the cashier was just doing her job.

Thanks everyone for your replies. I don't drink alcohol but I like ginger beer from time to time. Next time I will just buy it after 12 if I am shopping on Sunday. Stupid law.

Old 11-03-2014, 03:32 PM

923 posts, read 1,501,949 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Azure110 View Post
Next time I will just buy it after 12 if I am shopping on Sunday. Stupid law.
Agreed. I love the state of Texas (have lived here all my life), but our alcohol laws are completely stupid.

(Begin rant)

I would challenge anyone to give me a good reason why you shouldn't be able to buy beer on Sunday before 12 noon, or why we shouldn't be able to buy liquor in the grocery store just like beer & wine, as they do in New Mexico and California (as opposed to having to go to a liquor store, which only stays open til 9 pm).

Every year on Super Bowl Sunday I am reminded of how stupid our laws are when I am trying to stock up on food and drinks for incoming guests, and our antiquated laws keep me from making a simple purchase.

(Sorry, rant over)

Old 11-03-2014, 03:55 PM

4,287 posts, read 8,026,358 times
I'm gonna go here on Sunday & buy ginger beer & root beer simultaneously & see what happens.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio