U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-07-2014, 08:30 AM

6,998 posts, read 10,235,462 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ged_782 View Post
Even though this was the first election to require the photo ID, it seems to me it doesn't really impact very many people.

I always carry my voter ID card around in my wallet, but based on what I've witnessed at the polls over the years, I am the exception. So, those voters who show up at the polling place without their voter ID card, had to produce their driver's license, or other approved ID. I guess most people figure, why carry around a document they only need every year or two, or even less often. I even had a poll worker thank me one time for bringing my voter ID card to the polling place!
It didn't affect as many people as expected, but there were probably thousands across the state who had no acceptable form of identification (homeless, elderly, and college students). There was a free voter ID one could get, but it requires a birth certificate (about $23). Some homeless people and people born in the early 20th century didn't have those things. The last election had over 7,000 provisional ballots; this election had over 16,000. Luckily, I have an acceptable from of identification and my birth certificate. I was born overseas, so I have to replace mine through the Bureau of Consular Affairs. That takes about 6 weeks and costs $50.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-07-2014, 09:56 AM

3,137 posts, read 5,157,678 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by L210 View Post
It didn't affect as many people as expected, but there were probably thousands across the state who had no acceptable form of identification (homeless, elderly, and college students). There was a free voter ID one could get, but it requires a birth certificate (about $23). Some homeless people and people born in the early 20th century didn't have those things.
As far as the homeless are concerned, you need to have an established residence of record to be eligible to vote, otherwise, where do they mail the voter card? In what precinct would you vote?

As for the elderly, residents of Texas over the age of 65, who are registered to vote, can request a mail-in ballot. Same for disabled persons under age 65.

I can't imagine college students getting very far without a photo ID. When they become employed, they will need to present a photo ID to their employer. I even had to present a photo ID when I applied for a library card at the local public library!

Old 11-07-2014, 10:21 AM

351 posts, read 447,516 times
Back in the old days ending in the late 1970's, if you wanted to "vote absentee" you had to sign an affidavit that you were going to be out of the county on election day.

Old 11-07-2014, 11:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ged_782 View Post
As far as the homeless are concerned, you need to have an established residence of record to be eligible to vote, otherwise, where do they mail the voter card? In what precinct would you vote?
The homeless have to be allowed to vote. Anything stopping them from voting would be unconstitutional. All the homeless have to do is use a location where they usually stay like an intersection, shelter, or park. They can receive mail at a homeless shelter, church, or any other place willing to accept mail for homeless people.

Quote:
As for the elderly, residents of Texas over the age of 65, who are registered to vote, can request a mail-in ballot. Same for disabled persons under age 65.
The application to vote by mail has to be sent in by the 9th day before the election. It's too late for the elderly who thought they could vote on election day as usual.

Quote:
I can't imagine college students getting very far without a photo ID. When they become employed, they will need to present a photo ID to their employer. I even had to present a photo ID when I applied for a library card at the local public library!
A student ID is a photo ID someone can use to get a library card, but it is not an acceptable form of identification for voting. You don't need a state-issued ID or driver's license for employment. You can use your student ID and a social security card or something else.

Old 11-07-2014, 11:12 AM

16,722 posts, read 40,835,478 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rynetwo View Post
I am always surprised that the dems always wait till the last day to vote while the repubs vote during early voting.
The numbers reported in the link above your comment ( http://home.bexar.org/el45a.htm )do not support your claim.

Old 11-07-2014, 11:48 AM

14,613 posts, read 31,138,127 times
Serious question: Are the homeless really that concerned about elections? I've spent a good deal of time with many homeless people and politics never came up. Yes, I realize this is anecdotal but that's why I'm asking. I also realize that they *should* be interested. Did Haven for Hope offer any solutions for the homeless voting issue?

Old 11-07-2014, 12:29 PM

3,740 posts, read 3,840,748 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CptnRn View Post
The numbers reported in the link above your comment ( http://home.bexar.org/el45a.htm )do not support your claim.
Yes they do.

Early vote Rep's were up 3,231 but on election day they were out voted by 2,059 looking at the "straight ticket votes."

Old 11-07-2014, 12:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sapphire View Post
Serious question: Are the homeless really that concerned about elections? I've spent a good deal of time with many homeless people and politics never came up. Yes, I realize this is anecdotal but that's why I'm asking. I also realize that they *should* be interested. Did Haven for Hope offer any solutions for the homeless voting issue?
It doesn't matter how many homeless people are interested in voting. All that matters is that their right to vote is protected like everyone else's. Yes, some homeless people cared enough to vote to take their cases to court in the 80s and 90s before states had provisions allowing people without permanent addresses to vote.
National Coalition for the Homeless

Old 11-07-2014, 12:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rynetwo View Post
Yes they do.

Early vote Rep's were up 3,231 but on election day they were out voted by 2,059 looking at the "straight ticket votes."
Considering that over 44k people voted straight ticket Dem vs. over 47k who voted straight ticket Repub during early voting, your generalization is not supported. With those numbers, a 3k difference doesn't support the statement "I am always surprised that the dems always wait till the last day to vote while the repubs vote during early voting. Actually, your statement is far off from the truth since most of the straight ticket Dems voted during the early voting period by a large margin. That means that the majority of them did NOT wait until the last minute, and they were NOT much more likely to wait until the last minute than Repubs.

Old 11-07-2014, 01:14 PM

14,613 posts, read 31,138,127 times
Mi Familia Vota helped register the homeless at Haven for Hope.

Mi Familia Vota helps register voters at Haven for Hope
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio