U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-11-2014, 07:45 AM

5,623 posts, read 6,415,941 times

Advertisements

I really don't see how anyone of adult age can be without at least one piece of state or federal issued ID in the current world unless they are trying to live off grid as much as possible?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-11-2014, 09:03 AM

3,142 posts, read 5,168,387 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Azure110 View Post
I really don't see how anyone of adult age can be without at least one piece of state or federal issued ID in the current world unless they are trying to live off grid as much as possible?
A few examples have been posted in this thread of individuals who have gotten by without a State or Federal ID. Usually college students who don't drive, don't buy alcohol or tobacco, don't travel by air, etc. Their student ID, and/or other documents, would suffice for identification requirements they've encountered up to that point in their lives.

But I have to wonder how much longer they can get by, before they encounter a situation where they need a more universally-accepted form of identification. I look at a State ID as something that is better to have and not need, than to need and not have. At $6-$16 (or no cost, in some cases), it isn't something that should break the bank.

Old 11-11-2014, 10:34 AM

7,002 posts, read 10,251,872 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by majormadmax View Post
Sorry, but I just don't buy into the argument that it is so tough or expensive to get an ID. As stated, Texas will issue one to vote at no cost to the individual; and the vast majority of those who cannot produce the documents necessary to get one are individuals who a likely not qualified to vote in this state in the first place.

And requiring the state to make those documents available is ridiculous. Why is it the state's responsibility to do so?

Voter fraud may not be abundant but it exists, and a simple solution such as requiring a government-issued photo ID to vote is not a "polling tax" as liberals claim it is. All I hear are weak excuses, but the truth of the matter is when it comes down to a logical argument against it, there really isn't one...
Paying $23 or more if you were born in a different state or country ($50 in my case) to replace a birth certificate may not be expensive for you, but it's expensive to some. But, it doesn't matter what YOU deem expensive or inexpensive; there shouldn't be a cost to vote at all. This man went through a lot of trouble to get his birth certificate, but ended up not getting his EIC because his birth certificate had his mother's maiden name instead of the last name he currently has. I'm assuming he later took on his father's last name.
'Born and raised' Texans forced to prove identities under new voter ID law | US news | The Guardian

Brenda Lauw had all types of documentation to prove her identification, but they are under her married name instead of the maiden name that's on her birth certificate. She couldn't get an ID or EIC because she didn't have a marriage or divorce certificate.
Texans Slam Voter ID Law: 'Now That It's Happened To Me, I'm Devastated'

A guy who works at IHOP said he didn't have the $30 to get his birth certificate. Maybe he'll save up enough money to get it for the next election, but it's too late to vote in the one that just passed. I've been in those positions where I barely had enough for rent and food and wouldn't be able to cough up $30 for anything.
Ginsburg Was Right: Texas' Extreme Voter ID Law Is Stopping People From Voting

I haven't heard a logical argument for voter ID. Texas has only had two people convicted of voter fraud in the past 10 years. It is much easier to commit voter fraud through mail-in ballots, but Texas' voter ID law doesn't protect against that.

Old 11-11-2014, 11:32 PM

897 posts, read 2,615,883 times
I understand the frustration at having to deal with DPS for any reason. That being said, here is the link to the Election ID Certificate:

TxDPS - Election Identification Certificates (EIC) – Documentation Requirements

I wonder how the other states with voter ID laws have been getting by. Makes me think that either our law is too restrictive (i.e. not allowing student ID) or it's just something to write about. Granted, it is frustrating to have to produce all those documents, but everyone should have a copy of their birth, marriage, divorce or name change documents. Even if they stay filed away in a shoe box or safety deposit box, in my mind, they are documents you just need to have.

Regarding the "born and raised" article, if I read it correctly, his birth certificate did not match the name he currently uses. So, did he change his name legally or just decided at one point to start using his father's last name? Sounds like he just decided to use a different last name than he was born with. I didn't think you could do that legally......

Regarding the "I'm Devastated" articles in prior posting...

First lady did not have her birth certificate. Article doesn't say if she doesn't have one or just didn't bring one with her to the DPS.

Second lady moved back to Texas in 2008 and still has an out of state driver's license. I thought one had to get a TDL after 90 days. It's been 6 years. She's divorced and has no divorce decree? Don't you get one when a divorce is granted? She admitted she didn't feel that she needed to have to dig up a 40 year old document... Her main problem is that she cannot prove her residency.

Third lady didn't bring the right documents to DPS.

Regarding the "Extreme voter ID Law' article, the gentleman using his father's last name instead of the name on his birth certificate is reported about again. Then the veteran with the expired license - he may not have realized it was expired or not known that he needed something current. The lady with the CA license being threatened with jail time - she may have lived here longer than 90 days and not applied for a TDL as required. Not sure if you go to jail for that, though.

The article mentions a 61-year-old disabled lady with a suspended license for parking tickets who tried to get a voter id card. I didn't know a suspended license would prevent you from voting...but the state does say that if you have a drivers license, you can't have voter id card.

People afraid that their unpaid traffic tickets will lead to having to pay up if they go to DPS? I wonder if these are the same people that are targeted for the unpaid ticket roundups.... Again, the state won't give you a voter ID card if you already have a drivers license!

The IHOP guy with the stolen wallet....yes, $30 for a new birth certificate is a lot for low income citizens. Why are they so expensive? If you are born in Bexar county, it's $23 plus postage. I guess they closed those kiosks they used to have around the area.

The college student in Marshall - if she was registering voters, she should have known that the out of state drivers license would not suffice.

Again, I wonder what other states with voter ID laws handle these issues. One one hand, many of the problems seem to stem from people just not being informed: expired licenses don't prove residency, you can't have both a TDL and a voter ID, etc. On the other hand, there is an issue with the cost of obtaining the necessary documents, not to mention the hassle.

Old 11-12-2014, 05:53 AM

2,097 posts, read 1,823,194 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rynetwo View Post
I am always surprised that the dems always wait till the last day to vote while the repubs vote during early voting.

That is a surprise. Seems that I read somewhere, normally it's the other way around. Dems usually hold an advantage in early voting. Not sure if that was a local or national news story I read following the 2012 election.

Old 11-12-2014, 06:36 AM

14,614 posts, read 31,159,617 times
Even Obama thinks that voter ID laws don't stop minorities from voting....apathy does. Of course, he's still fighting the laws because "they're racist" or something but he never makes much sense to me anyway.

Old 11-12-2014, 06:49 AM

I was wondering when someone would drag national politics into this using Obama's name. Only took four pages.

Old 11-12-2014, 07:00 AM

14,614 posts, read 31,159,617 times
News flash: The thread went off topic starting at comment #3. But of course, you hate me, so it's my fault.

Old 11-12-2014, 07:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sapphire View Post
News flash: The thread went off topic starting at comment #3. But of course, you hate me, so it's my fault.
I don't hate you.

Old 11-12-2014, 08:10 AM

1,175 posts, read 1,174,127 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sapphire View Post
Yours is a bit more noticeable because it's the most recent and filled with hyperbole or at least propaganda.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio