Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-01-2008, 07:10 PM

200 posts, read 896,884 times

Advertisements

We are considering a move to San Antonio from Orange county CA. I will buying 2 homes and want an area where i could find 2 homes on acreage. Where should i be looking? If this is not possible where can I find homes around 200 with approx 1/2 acre each. Planning on calling a realtor in the next few weeks but want to know where to start.

Thanks for your help
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-01-2008, 07:17 PM

5,643 posts, read 15,643,046 times
Why are you moving from Orange?

Old 01-01-2008, 07:20 PM

3,468 posts, read 8,518,179 times
I'm from OC (Huntington Beach), been here a little over 9 years. If I may ask, why are you moving from there?

As far as places to live, it'll be fairly difficult (tho not impossible) to find actual acerage with a home from $200K. That said, my neighborhood has large lots (1/3-3/4 acre, with most being right around 1/2) and you can still find a home in here for that. We live in the "Far West, New West, Westplex" area (it's called many things), right by Sea World. Are you looking for a place for livestock/animals, or just don't want to live right on top of your neighbors?

If you're looking at moving to the country/county areas, you might want to check out the "fireworks" thread here. Fireworks are legal in the county areas, and many of those areas are pretty densely populated.

Old 01-02-2008, 01:27 PM

2,437 posts, read 6,988,035 times
You dont necessarily have to move to a place where fireworks are legal and be hit with the fireworks. There are areas where nothing occurs and you can find a 2 or 3 acre lot and not be bothered with fireworks (as no one in the neighborhood does them). I also agree.. need to know what kind of situation you want to live in? Farm area? Do you want horses? Or just a neighborhood that has a big lot that is outside of town to give you a "farm area" feeling but with neighbors around.

Old 01-02-2008, 06:03 PM

592 posts, read 2,017,044 times
what are you looking for hills flat land. just to point you in the right direction

Old 01-02-2008, 06:36 PM

200 posts, read 896,884 times
Default Thanks For Info

Thank All of you. For the HB Person. we are moving from HB too. Reason job layoffs Hate to leave the Perfect Plastic World of the OC but......

My next door neighbor here can turn on her bathroom light at night and I wake up. We have a 2400 sqft home on a 3500 sq ft lot. I do not want farm animals but a yard without neighbors like I have now. We do want a min of 1/2 acre.

I love small towns and could stomach living in one if close to airport and city area.

So where is the perfect burough for us?

Old 01-02-2008, 06:52 PM

4,263 posts, read 10,776,226 times
You would be best suited by finding the job first. This is a big city and you don't want to live on the other side of town from where you will be working. I assume that you are aware that the local salaries won't be nearly what one makes in OC?

We moved from San Diego County...La Costa to be exact. My office is in NYC so we had no issues with salary and commute wasn't an issue (work out of my home/travel to client sites)

Do you have the employment issue figured out yet? We need more details in order to help you out. Many ex-Californians here

Old 01-03-2008, 09:18 PM

9,512 posts, read 8,968,551 times
Default 1/2 acre w/ house for $200k

We were looking for the same thing only with a new, smaller home on 1-2 acre lot. Realtors laughed and said no builder puts a new 1600sq foot home on a 2 acre lot in San Antonio. We found some large lots in Helotes (NW) and settled in an area south of Helotes where all the homes are on 2-5 acre lots. We had to increase the home (up'd to 3000sq ft) but it's a nice area. $200k is a little too low to get what you are looking for unless you move well outside of San Antonio or get a fixer-upper. There are fixers INSIDE 1604 with an acre for under $200k. Northside (Timberwood) has nice lots but I assume you'd like to leave the traffic back in California.

This website lets you search by map areas HomeSalesTexas Group
and REALTOR.com - Real Estate Listings & Homes For Sale and Zillow - Real Estate Valuations, Homes for Sale, Free Real Estate Information let you search by lot size (to pull that 1 acre gem you're looking for).
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio