U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 

Old 01-04-2008, 01:47 PM

190 posts, read 20,928 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by SweethomeSanAntonio View Post
Comparing Austin and S.A.'s cultural venues, San Antonio, has more to offer. Northstar imo, better than Highland mall. Just my opinion.
Having more of something doesn't intrinsically mean that that makes them better. I think the culture one can find in Austin is superior to SA in variance and depth. In addition, Austin's culture is interwoven into the social structure of the city and is much more multi-faceted.

San Antonio culture usually revolves around Mexican or Hispanic cultural practices or traditions, and while there is nothing wrong with this, it makes for a very prosaic and one dimensional cultural experience.

Old 01-04-2008, 02:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Insomniac View Post
Why is this, because your obviously bias opinion says so?
As if your statements aren't biased positively toward San Antonio. The quantity and quality of cultural venues is important to some people, and arguing that point is moot. The reality is that, Austin's cultural offerings do not revolve around a singular cultural entity (Hispanic), as does San Antonio's.

Economically, San Antonio cannot compete with Austin. Home to a world class university, a large number of graduates from UT stay in Austin and this in turn creates a very educated and skilled workforce which continue to benefit the local economy. In addition, the presence of companies like Dell, IBM, Freescale Semiconductor, Apple, Hewlett-Packard, and Sun Microsystems, among others has created a very strong technology sector in Austin.

Austin is definitely number two to Dallas in regards to being the Silicon Valley of Texas, and arguably the southwest region.

San Antonio has AT&T, Valero, USAA, Tesoro, HEB, Clear Channel, strong military presense, and Rackspace, among others. Although significant, the city still does not have the same economic significance and also has a much lower number of educated individuals.

Economically, Austin dominates San Antonio and this is evident by a number of high-end real estate developments in Austin's center as well as a plethora of upscale restaurants and venues. Clearly, the demographics in Austin are such that it can support these things, while San Antonio cannot at this time.

Quote:
Maybe where you came from or wherever you live now (I have the sneaky suspicion that you may not even live in San Antonio) culture is rooted in narrow minded stereotypical generalizations (the kind you just so seamlessly displayed) but sorry to break it to you buddy, it's not.
I have traveled the world, so my definition of culture is quite broad. I knew nothing about San Antonio when I came here, but unfortunately, my experiences here have been similar to other worldly people. Visiting the city and experiencing the Riverwalk and Alamo is one thing, but finding stimulating cultural activities and people is something completely different. I find in San Antonio neither is particularly easy to find.

Quote:
An example would be great.
Austin has a plethora of different food venues, as diversified as the city's cultural activities. San Antonio, while one can find good restaurants, primarily is all about Mexican food. A Bill Millers on every corner just does not count.

Quote:
How is exactly is that accounted for?
Haven't we been over this countless times? The short answer is UT.

Quote:
All three of those totally false statements, but well, that won't stop you from repeating them in the future.
If they're false, you won't have trouble disproving them.

Old 01-04-2008, 02:16 PM

Quote:
Saks Fifth, Macy's (Macy's of pre-Foley's acquisition) are pretty credible stores to have in a mall.
My point is that prior to LaCantera, the shopping in San Antonio was by no means impressive or world class. It really was on par with what Austin offered at the time.

Old 01-04-2008, 02:26 PM

Quote:
Seriously, watch this post get ignored by Hello, infinity, Cookie and every other SA basher. You know, the group that thinks observing people in restaurants and grocery stores gives you an inkling of what's real and what's to be expected. You know, like if you went to Dallas and observed people you'd think 7 out of 10 people there were multi millionaires when the fact is most make 40-50 thousand a year. This will most definitely skip this post over, you know because it doesn't take the POV of an already biased person who visits for a couple of days. It's just the POV of someone unbiased who has actually maintained residences in places metro areas.
One cannot make blanket statements about the characteristics of a given population by going to a few grocery stores or restaurants, you're right. However, if one visits those grocery stores and restaurants (and others as well) on a regular basis, at different times of day and week, and still notices the same behaviors and disheveled appearances, then one can make generalizations about that population.

And, it's not just in poorer areas either, as someone suggested. There was a marked difference in the way people looked all over Austin, than what I have seen in San Antonio. And, this is not the first time I have noticed this difference.

I've been to Dallas, and again, the people there are similar to Austinites, just dressier and drive nicer cars. But the cultural diversity and worldliness of those in Dallas is on par with (or perhaps superior to) people in Austin.

All in all, San Antonio is just very laid-back. I think the distinction comes by what ones definition of laid-back is. To me, laidback is Austin style. But when I drive around San Antonio and observe people, it transcends my definition of laid-back and just becomes pure indolence. If a city could just be lazy, I think San Antonio would fit the bill.

Last edited by infinity & beyond; 01-04-2008 at 02:38 PM..

Old 01-04-2008, 02:45 PM

3,614 posts, read 3,455,143 times
I definitely have to disagree with saying San Antonio's cultural experience is one dimensional. The plethora of different heritages extends way beyond 'a single cultural entity'. The history of various ethnic groups that have contributed to this city tell the tale.

There has historically for at least three-quarters or more of a century been a higher amount of Tejano (Chicano, Mexican-American, etc.) heritage compared to Mexican heritage. They are not the same just as much as the Californio and Tejano experience are not alike, nor is Northern Mexico compared to Southern Mexico or D.F.s cultural experience.

Not to get off track, San Antonio offers way more than Fiesta and I feel sad for anyone who has never dug deeper to discover this for themselves. The many cultures contained within this one city and outskirts come from many parts of the world and somehow have changed to add into the greater cultural geography of Texas. Culture though can be found everywhere, even in the smallest cities of Siberia all the way to the art galleries of Paris and each will be unique in their own way. San Antonio is by far not one dimensional in this aspect.

For starters we should compare the differences between next month's Asian New Year's celebrations hosted in both San Antonio and Austin if we want to start comparing note by note.

Old 01-04-2008, 04:51 PM

2,368 posts, read 3,492,878 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by infinity & beyond View Post
Having more of something doesn't intrinsically mean that that makes them better. I think the culture one can find in Austin is superior to SA in variance and depth. In addition, Austin's culture is interwoven into the social structure of the city and is much more multi-faceted.

San Antonio culture usually revolves around Mexican or Hispanic cultural practices or traditions, and while there is nothing wrong with this, it makes for a very prosaic and one dimensional cultural experience.

San Antonio most prominent culture is Spanish but it is shaped by a confluence of different cultures. Certainly,No less than Austin. The same could be generalized about Austin. A city that is mostly white, and having a smaller african American population than S.A. San Antonio and Austin have more or less about the same amount of African Americans and Asians. So to say Austin is more mult-cultural or more multi-facted is further form the truth. San Antonio is known for it's hispanic heritage, but is not limited too it.

Old 01-04-2008, 05:17 PM

Qoute:Infinty and Beyond,

Economically, San Antonio cannot compete with Austin. Home to a world class university, a large number of graduates from UT stay in Austin and this in turn creates a very educated and skilled workforce which continue to benefit the local economy. In addition, the presence of companies like Dell, IBM, Freescale Semiconductor, Apple, Hewlett-Packard, and Sun Microsystems, among others has created a very strong technology sector in Austin.

How many of those companies are HQ in Austin? Apple just has a support customer service center. One of my friends works there. Austin for sure has a stronger High tech sector. San Antonio economy is more diverse, has a much larger Bio-medical-Healthcare sector and financial sector. Followed by Government and Convention and tourisim. The 5th largest industry is Aerospace, which has a $ 4 billion dollar impact on the economy. Companies like Boeing,General Dynamics,Standard Aero, Swearingin Aircraft all have major presence in S.A. Swerangin aircraft is based out of S.A. San Antonio is also a nafta hub, home of the Nafta World Bank. It has established an Inland port, Port of San Antonio. San Antonio and Austin both have strong economies, both are just concentrated in different industries.

San Antonio also has world class universities, has more college students than Austin. They might not be all in one university. Which I would say is not an entirely good thing.

Old 01-04-2008, 05:40 PM

Quote:
How many of those companies are HQ in Austin? Apple just has a support customer service center. One of my friends works there. Austin for sure has a stronger High tech sector. San Antonio economy is more diverse, has a much larger Bio-medical-Healthcare sector and financial sector. Followed by Government and Convention and tourisim. The 5th largest industry is Aerospace, which has a $ 4 billion dollar impact on the economy. Companies like Boeing,General Dynamics,Standard Aero, Swearingin Aircraft all have major presence in S.A. Swerangin aircraft is based out of S.A. San Antonio is also a nafta hub, home of the Nafta World Bank. It has established an Inland port, Port of San Antonio. San Antonio and Austin both have strong economies, both are just concentrated in different industries.
San Antonio's economy might very well be more diverse, but the city of Austin still has more money and so do the people who live there, which as I stated earlier, is why the city can attract and maintain a variety of high-end real estate developments. Whether or not the companies are headquartered there or not is really irrelevant - the city of Austin still has a much more educated workforce.

Austin's main economic concentration is in technology. It's structure and organization is something San Antonio can only dream of. Again, the wide variety of educated UT students means there's always local expertise.

Quote:
San Antonio also has world class universities, has more college students than Austin. They might not be all in one university. Which I would say is not an entirely good thing.
Having more does not mean graduates are more prepared or have all received the same education. UTSA is a good school, and I know some very bright people who either go there or went there, but to suggest UTSA is on par with UT academically is kind of foolish, in my opinion.

You could argue Trinity, but then we're talking of a school with not even 3,000 students. The fact of the matter is, Austin is the city with more of an educational significance.

Old 01-04-2008, 05:52 PM

Qoute:Infinity and Beyond

Austin's main economic concentration is in technology. It's structure and organization is something San Antonio can only dream of. Again, the wide variety of educated UT students means there's always local expertise.

Surely, if your talking the High tech sector. However the same could be said about San Antonio's industries.

Old 01-04-2008, 05:58 PM

925 posts, read 103,089 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by infinity & beyond View Post
My point is that prior to LaCantera, the shopping in San Antonio was by no means impressive or world class.
Who said it was world class? Not a single person. Impressive? Well, having a SAKS and Macy's (pre-Foley's) isn't a dud.

Quote:
It really was on par with what Austin offered at the time.
Well, not when SA had those two stores and the other didn't. Wouldn't you agree?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio