Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-22-2015, 05:45 PM

5 posts, read 19,695 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by smuboy86 View Post
Your deposit is based on your credit history. Crappy credit equals a deposit.
No it is not. It has nothing to do with your credit history.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-22-2015, 05:52 PM

5 posts, read 19,695 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ged_782 View Post
I also don't think it has as much to do with credit rating, as it does with prior account history (or lack of) with the utility.

For example, when I bought my house many years ago, I didn't have a prior account with CPS, so I had to pay a deposit, which may have been $50 at the time. After a year, I believe, the deposit was refunded. I had to do the same thing with SAWS (then City Water Board).

Years ago, it was common for apartment complexes not to have provisions for separate utility accounts for each individual unit, but rather had single master meters, and all utilities were factored into the monthly rent. So, many former renters had no prior utility account history to draw on, when they eventually purchased a property.
Wrong again. It has nothing to do with that either. It based on service areas.

Old 07-22-2015, 06:03 PM

117 posts, read 200,124 times
I believe it has to do with the account history as stated before, not your credit history. I just moved out of state and therefore have no history of any energy bill in this State. They gave me an option to have an energy company from the State where I moved from to fax them proof of good paying history or pay $110 that would be credited into my account after 12 months of good paying history. When I had questions, I emailed CPS and they responded quickly and painlessly (unlike calling, which I was on hold for 19 mins and didn't get to talk to anyone). Hope it helps!

Old 07-22-2015, 08:32 PM

14,637 posts, read 35,026,845 times
You can do it all online, too. No need to call.

Old 07-22-2015, 08:53 PM

4,323 posts, read 7,232,821 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by canofcorn View Post
Wrong again. It has nothing to do with that either. It based on service areas.
I don't understand. What do you mean by "service areas"? CPS Energy is the monopoly provider of gas and electric service in the area, and is owned by the City Of San Antonio.

Old 07-22-2015, 09:42 PM

61 posts, read 84,802 times
I just moved here and had to pay $175 deposit. CPS told me that if you have never had an account with them then you have to pay the deposit. If you pay your bills on time, then you can get the deposit back after a year. It has nothing to do with your credit at all.

Old 07-23-2015, 07:34 PM

733 posts, read 1,047,170 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by canofcorn View Post
No it is not. It has nothing to do with your credit history.
yep thats false. i have 700+ and i was asked for a $95 deposit 2 years ago. they refunded it a year later, but did ask for one.

Old 07-23-2015, 11:17 PM

17 posts, read 32,105 times
After submitting request online this last week and not able to get anyone on the phone we headed over to the office today. The rep. told me my services start tomorrow and I would get a confirmation email with account info. Fee of $250 that is billed out and would be credited to my account after a year of payments. It had also been 2 yrs since I had service with them. Idk if its based on credit history as my score is in the mid 600s.

Old 07-29-2015, 08:21 PM

61 posts, read 84,802 times
My FICO is over 800 and I had to pay deposit so it's nothing to do with credit.

Old 01-06-2018, 09:28 AM

1 posts, read 1,358 times
This is an old thread but I thought this I info would be useful to someone looking for the info. I used to work for CPS and the deposit is based on that apartment's overall history ....all past customers for that specific unit. So you are actually inheriting all the good in the bad. I left CPS because the new CEO received a 290k bonus the summer of 2017 ... corrupt to the bone. Good luck.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio