Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-02-2008, 08:55 PM

84 posts, read 219,030 times

Advertisements

Anyone have a recommendation for a good private christian school?? `My daugher won't start kindergarden for another 3 years but I want to start looking for a good school now.

Thanks
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-04-2008, 10:30 AM

No one? Wow does everyone send their children to public schools....??

Old 01-04-2008, 10:51 AM

86 posts, read 314,512 times
I've only lived in SA and from what I have heard from others in other areas, SA is low on private schools. That being said, I've done some private school research and these are some in the NW area that I would strongly consider and research further if I were going to go that route.....

Judson Montessori
St George Episcopal
St Thomas Episcopal
Concordia Lutheran
Geneva School
St Matthews Catholic

I've had several friends who have had their children at at least one of these schools and really liked it....

The public schools are pretty highly regarded, and I am sure, given what they are, they are probably right (I am a former public school teacher) . But you can't change the fact that Public schools have high class sizes and focus on teaching the test, something that most private schools won't do - and of course there is the religious component you can't get in PS.

HTH a little

Old 01-04-2008, 11:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bornandraisedSA View Post
I've only lived in SA and from what I have heard from others in other areas, SA is low on private schools. That being said, I've done some private school research and these are some in the NW area that I would strongly consider and research further if I were going to go that route.....

Judson Montessori
St George Episcopal
St Thomas Episcopal
Concordia Lutheran
Geneva School
St Matthews Catholic

I've had several friends who have had their children at at least one of these schools and really liked it....

The public schools are pretty highly regarded, and I am sure, given what they are, they are probably right (I am a former public school teacher) . But you can't change the fact that Public schools have high class sizes and focus on teaching the test, something that most private schools won't do - and of course there is the religious component you can't get in PS.

HTH a little
Thanks for the info!

I agree. I, on the other hand have lived here all my life, and went to the public schools on the northside (NISD )and still saw many things I shouldn't have, plus a high student to teacher ratio and such. I would really perfer my daughter go to a private school even if I have to drive outta my way.

We by no means are "rich" but we save everything we can so she can go. We even have saved all her income tax money in a mutual fund so we can afford her private schooling and college.

Have you heard good things about Cornerstone?

Old 01-04-2008, 02:10 PM

2,392 posts, read 9,648,843 times
My son went to St. George and loved the place but alas we moved to Austin. Also heard very good things about Trinity United methodist school very small but very good.

Old 01-04-2008, 04:23 PM

12 posts, read 53,932 times
Default St. Mary's Hall or Alamo Heights

I would look into St. Mary's Hall (private, scholarships available to gifted students) or Alamo Heights (public, but a top school with small class size, can pay out of district tuition) Cornerstone is NOT known for its academics. I guess you need to decide if you think getting a good education (and going to a top national university) is more important than going to a "Christian" school or vice versa. Good luck.

Old 01-05-2008, 08:05 PM

138 posts, read 451,374 times
Haven't been able to get in touch with a friend- phone tag. Talked to a neighbor, and she mentioned two schools that friends of hers had kids going to and liked them. Atonement on the norwest side, and Concordia Lutheren on Huebner. I don't know anything about the academics/sports/religion myself.

Old 01-05-2008, 10:26 PM

923 posts, read 1,501,949 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ilmd View Post
Haven't been able to get in touch with a friend- phone tag. Talked to a neighbor, and she mentioned two schools that friends of hers had kids going to and liked them. Atonement on the norwest side, and Concordia Lutheren on Huebner. I don't know anything about the academics/sports/religion myself.
Atonement is supposed to be pretty good, I have friends who used to send their kids there. Rolling Hills Academy in Stone Oak is good, both my boys have gone there for Pre-K. Holy Spirit School at Blanco & Ramsey is very good, my niece goes there and my boys will next year (all these schools are Catholic, btw).

Btw, I'm new to the forum. Hi everyone!

Old 01-12-2008, 09:01 PM

Thanks I will looking in to all of these!!

Old 01-13-2008, 10:18 AM

86 posts, read 314,512 times
Hey Jody,

I've lived in SA too all my life - went to NEISD. But I've taught in NISD for 5 years (Bandera ISD the other 4). So I guess what I'm saying is that take my opinion for a grain of salt because I have no basis of comparison outside of SA and those three districts (and then of course had differing perspectives being a STUDENT at NEISD and a teacher at NISD and BISD)

I am totally with you on "seeing things I shouldn't have" and high class sizes - and this is coming from that teaching/adult perspective. I definitely think NO place is perfect, but I agree with you in that I would drive out of my way to go to Private. That being said, we are going to give public a try (daughter starts kinder next year) because it will be a brand new school and living so far out, it makes sense logistically. Plus I know there are some GREAT teachers out there who offer quality instruction even despite the negatives in Public School. I will be determined to find them!

If all else fails, we will go the private route (and also work hard to get the right teachers.) I want a positive school environment for my children and even though I know I cant protect them from everything, I can do my due diligence to find the best place for them.

As far as Atonement, I met with the headmaster and toured the school and was NOT impressed at all. I know several who love it, so it's really about what you are looking for, but for me, it was NOT a good fit. (I can give you more details about my impression if you want, just DM me)

If it were me, TODAY, I would look at St. Thomas and St. George. A friend loves St Matthews, but the class sizes are not "small". I also toured Trinity United Methodist and it was a charming little school. They pay their teachers VERY VERY Low (less than half public schools!) though, so that's a factor to consider. The principal was super nice though and the first grade class that year had SIX kids in it!!!! The rooms looked fully stocked and they were well versed on curriculum and implementation. Location is the killer for me (distance wise) on that one, otherwise it would likely be in my top 3 to look into further.

Of course you also got some great suggestions (St Mary's, Alamo Heights, etc) but those are not NW, and I've not looked into those, so can't comment specifically - but have heard others speak very highly of them. Keystone is another one that is great (but another deal killer location-wise for me)

Sorry this got so long!

HTH a little more
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio