Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-02-2014, 04:34 PM

3 posts, read 4,049 times

Advertisements

So, I am planning on traveling from the Northeast US to San Antonio to take a month long class in January at Rackspace and I am looking for a place to stay for a month or two (might stay longer and look for a job). Maybe I am not looking in the right places, but the reviews of the extended stay hotels on this site as well as others are beyond horrendous (bed bugs, roaches, filth, urine and blood stains on the bedsheets, dangerous areas, etc.). Staying at a regular hotel for a month would cost a fortune, so that is not an option. Started looking for a sublet but haven't found anything really short term, and doing all that site unseen is a bit tough, especially being stuck with something. Any ideas or good reviews of places? I don't really want to stay in the city itself, so taking a bus in would be OK; maybe from one of the Park & Rides north of the city or a place with a bus stop near by. I imagine that driving in would not be too pleasant.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-02-2014, 04:46 PM

7,130 posts, read 11,836,061 times
Cheap or safe....pick one. Cheap hotels attract less than desirable clients, generally speaking. Most of the apartments with furnished Corporate units want 6-12 month leases that I've seen. From my days as a Road Warrior, I *can* tell you that at MOST hotels, if you call and talk with the manager directly, you can cut as much as 1/3-1/2 off their standard rack rate if you're willing to book 30-60 day blocks.

Old 12-02-2014, 04:58 PM

14,637 posts, read 35,032,679 times
Have you tried airbnb.com or VRBO.com? We found an absolutely gorgeous home for a couple of weeks' vacation in California on vrbo. Just a thought....some of course are going to be very expensive but I'm sure there are some affordable ones that are what you're needing.

Old 12-02-2014, 06:34 PM

7,629 posts, read 16,455,013 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pjc123 View Post
So, I am planning on traveling from the Northeast US to San Antonio to take a month long class in January at Rackspace and I am looking for a place to stay for a month or two (might stay longer and look for a job). Maybe I am not looking in the right places, but the reviews of the extended stay hotels on this site as well as others are beyond horrendous (bed bugs, roaches, filth, urine and blood stains on the bedsheets, dangerous areas, etc.). Staying at a regular hotel for a month would cost a fortune, so that is not an option. Started looking for a sublet but haven't found anything really short term, and doing all that site unseen is a bit tough, especially being stuck with something. Any ideas or good reviews of places? I don't really want to stay in the city itself, so taking a bus in would be OK; maybe from one of the Park & Rides north of the city or a place with a bus stop near by. I imagine that driving in would not be too pleasant.
Try AirBNB dot com and find a room/place in the area you are staying. Be sure to check the reviews, I would never rent a place without several reviews, but we have tremendous success with them when traveling in Europe and some great little get away areas in the US. Most have shared kitchen/laundry/internet type of setups. Hope this helps!

Old 12-02-2014, 06:45 PM

Thanks. Will give airbnb and vrbo a try when I get a chance.

Old 12-05-2014, 04:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sapphire View Post
Have you tried airbnb.com or VRBO.com? We found an absolutely gorgeous home for a couple of weeks' vacation in California on vrbo. Just a thought....some of course are going to be very expensive but I'm sure there are some affordable ones that are what you're needing.
Yeah, a lot of expensive places on those sites. Most of the prices for just renting a single room are around $1000; they are crazy, but I will keep on checking. Craigslist has new postings of rooms and sublets every day, so I will keep on plugging there as well. I did find a 3 month sublet as a last resort, but it is unfurnished so I would have to buy a bed, table, TV, etc. and that would be a pain.

Old 12-05-2014, 04:13 PM

7,130 posts, read 11,836,061 times
Or, rent just the stuff you NEED from Aaron rental - IIRC, they don't have a minimum lease term.

Old 12-05-2014, 07:25 PM

2,068 posts, read 5,967,438 times
I also recommend VRBO This is the cheapest I found on there though, San Antonio Vacation Rental - VRBO 563441 - 1 BR South Texas Plains Studio in TX, Super Close to Arts, Amenities, Attractions - Eclectic, Creative Neighborhood. They show a $1000.00 a month rate, not cheap, but not bad either and has a washer and dryer. I don't see anything about a TV, but imagine there probably is one, if not, you no doubt have a laptop that you can watch movies etc on. :-)

Old 12-06-2014, 01:43 PM

2,132 posts, read 2,226,653 times
Why not stay in the city? Downtown would be a lot more fun than the Rackspace area.

Old 12-06-2014, 04:01 PM

14,637 posts, read 35,032,679 times
Just did a quick search on airbnb.com and I found a nice furnished room for $25 a night. I don't think you are going to get much better than that.

https://m.airbnb.com/listings/3166965

Correction. ..there's one for $17 a night.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio
View detailed profiles of: