U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-03-2008, 08:37 PM

3 posts, read 5,220 times

Advertisements

Hello, I have been reading several of the threads about SA for the last 5 months. (Most of which are very positive) I visited in September and liked it very much and found the people very friendly.

My question is one that I would appreciate the honest truth. I currently live in a city where transplants from other states are not welcomed. So my question is just that; are transplants from other states welcomed and accepted by the locals? Will I be snobbed by adults when they find out I have relocated? Will my daughter be tormented and not accepted at school because we are transplants?

I am a very positive person and love meeting people and getting involved and here people are so childish I feel like I'm in high school again.

Now just in case you are wondering I did visit my current city a couple of times and the people here were friendly while we were visiting; but I guess that's because we may have been viewed as tourists and not transplants. I don't want to make the same mistake twice.

Locals and Transplants - thank you in advance for your posts and all of the information you have provided thus far it has been very helpful.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-03-2008, 08:42 PM

14,614 posts, read 31,157,176 times
You get what you give, IMO. Whatever you set your sights on is what you will see--in other words, look for the negative and you're gonna find it. Accept SA for what it is, not what you left, and you will fit right in.

(Most of us are friendly, just not me!)

Old 01-03-2008, 08:46 PM

36 posts, read 135,029 times
No you won't be snubbed out. People here are very kind and nice. This is NOT LA or NY. I am a transplant from LA. (Los Angeles not Louisianna).

Most of the place is transplants. Yes natives but mostly transplants. Many military who come from other places and retire here. Many from California who made a bundle in real estate and came here. (Florida too). Place is growing and prosperous and attracting many.

I have been in SA since March 2006. As traffic grows, I am beginning to recent the new folks coming in....... but I like being accepted by the people who call this place home. Everywhere I go (my new mechanic) I get oh we have most our business from folks moving here from CA. I would say my neighborhood is 1/3 Californian, 1/3 retiring military (originally from other states) and 1/3 native San Antonians.

Check your attitude at the boarder! I did mine and I am kinder gentler better person for it.

Old 01-03-2008, 08:55 PM

3,471 posts, read 17,228,589 times
I moved here from the East Coast 20 some years ago. From the day I got here, I was in love with this city. I was transferred several times in the past 20 years to other cities. I always made sure part of the agreement to transfer was a return to SA when assignment complete. I always looked forward to returning. Some other places I lived were friendly, some not.
Now I retired(early) and will not leave again.
The most outstanding thing about SA is the lack of any racial tension. I'm Anglo, but have lived in mixed areas of the country and some sterile areas. I could always "feel" the racial tension in alot of places. I've never experienced it here. I'm also an eclectic person that does not hang out only in one area of the city. Some of my friends think I'm nuts that I go to restaurants in areas they would not go because they are in the wrong part of town. But I get to taste some of the best ethnic foods in this city. Never a problem.
I'm not sure if I am a local or a transplant after 20 years. I think you will find that SA takes a little getting used to in that it's different, in a good way. I love it and the people.
It's not all peaches and cream...I have met some people I would not care to continue association, and some who felt the same way about me. But at least it's real.
Relax abut the city, we don't check pedigrees when you get here.
We may ask you to show your teeth, or check the kind of SUV you drive, or make sure your kid is enrolled in the right school, but SA is pretty much a live and let live and maybe we'll be become friends, but for sure, you will meet real people.

Old 01-03-2008, 08:59 PM

4,263 posts, read 9,696,423 times
Umm..There are still some people around here that begrudge transplants. I feel it, I've overheard others talking and I've seen it.
It might not be so obvious, but it's there. I don't know about the children though...my son is only 10 1/2 months old.

We are here via SoCal, NJ and before that, NYC. I think that my accent (most of my time has been in NY/NJ) "does me in" every time. I can see some folks look at me like I have 3 heads at times.

Also, one doctor we took my son to would not see my son until we took the NY Yankees outfit off him. I don't know how serious he was..but just to think (and make a comment ) like that.....

I have been so open, nice and polite to everyone...and for the most part it's been reciprocated. I love this city more and more every day. Really starting to feel comfortable here, but to deny the transplant "issue" would be naive IMHO.

Good luck!!

Last edited by firstclassflyer; 01-03-2008 at 09:23 PM..

Old 01-03-2008, 09:02 PM

470 posts, read 1,790,391 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by valleygalbabs View Post
No you won't be snubbed out. People here are very kind and nice. This is NOT LA or NY. I am a transplant from LA. (Los Angeles not Louisianna).
Us NY'ers are just the rudest aren't we?

I've run into a few folks who've give me the "look" when I say I relocated here from NYC. Sometimes it's out of ignorance or fear.

Old 01-03-2008, 09:34 PM

11,435 posts, read 16,441,250 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by movin2sa View Post
Hello, I have been reading several of the threads about SA for the last 5 months. (Most of which are very positive) I visited in September and liked it very much and found the people very friendly.

My question is one that I would appreciate the honest truth. I currently live in a city where transplants from other states are not welcomed. So my question is just that; are transplants from other states welcomed and accepted by the locals? Will I be snobbed by adults when they find out I have relocated? Will my daughter be tormented and not accepted at school because we are transplants?

I am a very positive person and love meeting people and getting involved and here people are so childish I feel like I'm in high school again.

Now just in case you are wondering I did visit my current city a couple of times and the people here were friendly while we were visiting; but I guess that's because we may have been viewed as tourists and not transplants. I don't want to make the same mistake twice.

Locals and Transplants - thank you in advance for your posts and all of the information you have provided thus far it has been very helpful.
i think that it depends which state that you moved from. CA is the top of the most despised transplants mainly b/c they've driven up real estate taxes and crowded us out in so many once desirable places, particularly austin.

Old 01-03-2008, 09:37 PM

4,263 posts, read 9,696,423 times
I got my CA plates off my car within 3 days of arriving, seriously.

Old 01-03-2008, 09:53 PM

3,183 posts, read 7,419,478 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by movin2sa View Post
Will my daughter be tormented and not accepted at school because we are transplants?
I really don't think so. We have so many people moving here from out of town...At the school where I teach, there are many, many new kids, including my class. Everyone is accepted for WHO they are, not where they are from. I know of very few people who don't need any more friends...

As long as you (or your child) don't keep saying "well, in XX, we had XX" constantly! My hubby and I moved here 15 years ago. I am from Boston, he is from DC, and we lived in McAllen for 4 years. While there are things I miss about the East Coast, the 'casualness' (is that a word?) and AFFORDABILITY make up for it...

Old 01-03-2008, 10:00 PM

3,183 posts, read 7,419,478 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by firstclassflyer View Post
We are here via SoCal, NJ and before that, NYC. I think that my accent (most of my time has been in NY/NJ) "does me in" every time. I can see some folks look at me like I have 3 heads at times.
I truly think that most people here associate NY/NJ/NE accents with rudeness (and they do lump them all together). I think the faster speech speed (I am sure there is a better term for that) is what does it. Conversely, everyone thinks that a Southern drawl sounds friendly. I always get the "but you don't SOUND like a person from Boston". When I press them for an explanation, it's usually along the lines of "you know, no "r"s and nasty!

Quote:
Originally Posted by firstclassflyer View Post
Also, one doctor we took my son to would not see my son until we took the NY Yankees outfit off him. I don't know how serious he was..but just to think (and make a comment ) like that.....
Tee, hee!! Red Sox Nation!! (Sorry, couldn't resist!) But if he TRULY was serious, well, that's ridiculous!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio