Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-04-2008, 10:32 AM

4,263 posts, read 10,819,961 times

Advertisements

All,

I mess with you guys a lot but now I have a serious no joke question.

We moved here several months ago and I have been traveling on business constantly. I now have a few weeks at home and I need to find a new doctor (already have one for my wife and son). I am a diabetic (Type 2) and am asking you guys if you know of a doctor that is very familiar with this.
Our family health care is Blue Cross/Blue Shield. Any help would be appreciated. We live near Sea World,but I'm not opposed to driving a little (med Center, Stone Oak etc).
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-04-2008, 10:34 AM

2,438 posts, read 7,009,800 times
try this.. Did this by googling...

Endocrinology in San Antonio, TX

Old 01-04-2008, 02:26 PM

3,503 posts, read 19,878,952 times
I'd pick Scwartz and Kipness with Diabetes and Glandular Diease. They have a clinic at Medical Drive near Babcock, near Santa Rosa Northwest Hospital.
They are constantly doing research and have the latest information on new treatments, old stand by treatments, and what's best for you. They do alot of research themselves.
I'm not Diabetic, I am a nurse and have seen thier patient's, if they are compliant with treatment, remain stable and have few complications.

Old 01-04-2008, 06:09 PM

7,629 posts, read 16,446,448 times
I think that you should not have too much difficulty in finding good provider in SA to treat DM II....unfortunately it is a HUGE issue with the Mexican American community.

Interestingly enough, we found that true with Hawaiians as well. As a nurse I studied up on it to provide Diabetic Teaching to my patients when I practiced in Hawaii and found that statistacally the 3 most common ethnic groups are Hispanics, Hawaiians and Blacks.

I can not help by believe that whoever discovers that missing link answering why such high incident in DM within any certain ethnic group is sure to win the Nobel Peace Prize.

It is also believed that Medical research is on the cusp of being able to cure diabetes. What a wonderful day that will be!!!

Old 01-04-2008, 08:59 PM

791 posts, read 3,958,736 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Paka View Post
It is also believed that Medical research is on the cusp of being able to cure diabetes. What a wonderful day that will be!!!
Are you referring to type I or type II when talking about a cure? My understanding was that type II is reversible through diet, exercise & medication but is not curable because it isn't technically a disease. Rather, it's a metabolic side effect of a lifetime of consuming refined carbohydrates, added sugars, and avoiding physical exercise. If there is indeed some cure for type II in the offing, can you point me to a source of info? Type II is prevalent in my family and I'd like to be able to share the info. Thanks.

Old 01-04-2008, 09:26 PM

2,438 posts, read 7,009,800 times
Not sure how you would be able to cure type I. That would be the shut down of your pancreas and it no longer produces the insulin to your body. Hence the shots to cover up for the lack of your pancreas. They now have the pump to replace the effects of having to take shots all of the time.. but a cure.. not sure I have heard of that.. that would be nice.

Type 2 on the other hand is reversible with the right diet and stuff.

Old 01-05-2008, 07:32 AM

7,629 posts, read 16,446,448 times
Here is a good article from Wikapedia on the advances in "cures" for both I and II.

Diabetes mellitus - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Another interesting article is :

Advances in Diabetes for the Millennium: Toward a Cure for Diabetes

BBC NEWS | Health | Transplant cures man of diabetes

These articles are not my source (it was a AJN article and other Medical publications), but describes some of the advances I have read about that are being worked and expected to be improved upon in the next few years.

Of course, everything concerning these (and other possible cures, i.e. cancer) would require several years of case studies to validate, but there IS progress being made towards these growing health concerns.

Again, what a wonderful day when we can wipe out the threat of children and others cursed with this disease process. I feel that there will come a day when we look on it as we do polio now...a mostly distant, bad memory.

Old 01-06-2008, 07:10 PM

409 posts, read 1,560,902 times
Before moving to SA I researched this as well. My hubby is Type 2. We use Dr. Kelly Wirfel at Texas Diabetic Institute on Zarzamora. In our opinion, she is excellent! Great bedside manner and spends a lot of time with us at each visit. Hope this helps!

Old 01-10-2008, 08:21 PM

1,425 posts, read 3,314,162 times
Ralph DeFronzo, MD and Kenneth Cusi, MD are renowned for their diabetic research and are located here is SA. They may have a private practice in the Medical Center area but not sure. Google them... they may not have time for private practice.

Old 01-11-2008, 07:11 AM

1,439 posts, read 3,882,736 times
I am a type one diabetic and have found a good doc. I will dm you with my doc info.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio