Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-14-2014, 08:34 PM

443 posts, read 954,469 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by TXEX06 View Post
Keep jamming it in there.
You know, I once ran into the very situation OP is in and did as you advised. I remember removing some
bags and skillfully packing them in where there were absolutely no unused spaces left.

The result? It apparently created a vacuum which withstood being turned upside down and dumped.

It did manage to knock off the very top items.

As for the question, if I was that determined to be rid of my trash, I'd call a few friends I knew who
worked in the area and ask if any might give me permission to use their office dumpster.

Failing that, you could always go for a jog at the park and use the trashcans there.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-14-2014, 11:17 PM

117 posts, read 171,384 times
Make less trash.

Old 12-15-2014, 05:34 AM

7,130 posts, read 11,832,217 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by clay1 View Post
Make less trash.
Well, that certainly was helpful!

Old 12-15-2014, 09:45 AM

1,175 posts, read 1,437,624 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by clay1 View Post
Make less trash.
I agree with this, I'm gobsmacked that someone makes enough trash every week that they can't afford to miss one week without it being some sort of issue. I miss all the time, I just put it out there the next week with the trash I accumulated in the meantime. I almost always am able to fit at least two weeks of garbage into one of those cans and I have a family of 6 counting me.
Granted, I have recycling service too and am careful to separate as much as possible but I can still afford to miss both collections without it becoming an emergency.
If you have recycle collection perhaps look through and see if anything you're throwing out in the trash is actually recycle and maybe you can make it to the next pickup?

Old 12-15-2014, 10:08 AM

6,706 posts, read 8,775,152 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by prim8 View Post
I agree with this, I'm gobsmacked that someone makes enough trash every week that they can't afford to miss one week without it being some sort of issue. I miss all the time, I just put it out there the next week with the trash I accumulated in the meantime. I almost always am able to fit at least two weeks of garbage into one of those cans and I have a family of 6 counting me.
Granted, I have recycling service too and am careful to separate as much as possible but I can still afford to miss both collections without it becoming an emergency.
If you have recycle collection perhaps look through and see if anything you're throwing out in the trash is actually recycle and maybe you can make it to the next pickup?
I agree as well.

It would take me probably 2 weeks to fill up my trash tote during most of the year but only 1 week to fill up my recycle tote. I still put out the trash tote once a week so I don't have to smell it.

Old 12-15-2014, 10:10 AM

Takes us several weeks to FILL the can, as well - usually. This week, it's already full, and pickup isn't for two more days - because we had a large party (150 folks) Saturday. Beyond that - after a week, the can is more than a tad "aromatic".....

Old 12-15-2014, 10:28 AM

1,073 posts, read 1,043,241 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TexasRedneck View Post
Takes us several weeks to FILL the can, as well - usually. This week, it's already full, and pickup isn't for two more days - because we had a large party (150 folks) Saturday. Beyond that - after a week, the can is more than a tad "aromatic".....
Especially in July and August...talk about a science experiment....my trash can gets a few soapy scrubbings in the summer months and a couple shots of Febreze in between.

Old 12-15-2014, 04:19 PM

1,690 posts, read 3,617,197 times
Quote:

Make less trash.
So tell us how. I can think of recycling, composting, Im sure readers can thinking of a few more.

Old 12-15-2014, 04:50 PM

One the the ways is to be more cognizant of the packaging of the products you purchase. Manufacturers STILL overpack many boxes, either to protect from damage or to "bulk up" the container to make you think you're getting more for your buck.
Where possible, we buy bagged products - cereal, foodstuffs, etc. A box of cereal has a TON of void space in it - and takes up a lot of room.
One other HUGE help - trash compacter! We can easily go a normal week and only fill the compactor bin by 50% or so. You'd be amazed at how much it can reduce your solid waste.

Old 12-15-2014, 06:04 PM

117 posts, read 171,384 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by zhugeliang1 View Post
So tell us how. I can think of recycling, composting, Im sure readers can thinking of a few more.
Without knowing how the OP is throwing out so much that they are able to fill the thing to the brim in one week, I really wouldn't be able to say.

I hardly throw out enough to fill it in a month.. probably closer to two.. but I am by myself. Only time it ever really gets full is if I do some kind of project or cleaning out accumulated junk or whatever. Just about anything I discard on a regular basis is recyclable.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio