Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-03-2015, 07:48 AM

26 posts, read 61,837 times

Advertisements

Like many, our home is developing pin hole leaks in our copper plumbing lines. We are starting to see signs of leakage in multiple places in the ceiling drywall joints. With a 3000sq ft, 2 story home, we are trying to figure options to tearing up walls. Has anyone had their homes water line plumbing "relined" with expoxy or some other materials or technology? Any recommendation on local service providers who do this well and has lots of experience? Any cost info is appreciated as well.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-03-2015, 09:09 AM

5,717 posts, read 18,909,338 times
I only have experience with one home I was instructed to have the copper piping relined. I'm sure there are probably several different types of materials that can be used and I don't remember, that is if I ever knew, what the process was or materials used. But it didn't work as a permanent repair. We were back in the house 5 years later pulling new lines. FWIW, you are having a bonding issue and that's what is causing the copper piping to get the pin holes. Lining it is not going to fix it. I would strongly suggest getting a professional plumber, not a clown in a big truck that does everything, and have the house replumbed using Pex. Might consider researching Pex as you have options that are very desirable in my opinion, like a manifold which allows you to turn off each side of every fixture in the house without having to shut the entire house down for repairs. Generally speaking, this type of piping is less invasive than replacing the expensive copper. The lines will be run up a wall to the attic and dropped into any upstairs connections. Downstairs the Pex can be pulled a long way before having to punch a hole in the drywall. It's going to depend on the house plan and type of floor system used in construction of you house. Floor trusses would be a no brainer with TJIs being the worst. Best of luck.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio