Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-13-2015, 11:35 AM

4,323 posts, read 7,232,821 times

Advertisements

Slab foundations have been used almost exclusively in residential construction in San Antonio & surrounding ares since the early 1950s. I believe the primary reason is cost, and also they are better for supporting brick, stone, or other types of masonry exteriors that are commonly used here.

The downside is that there is no access underneath, without tunnelling. That only becomes an issue if there is a leak or break in the plumbing under the slab. Something to be particularly mindful of if you are looking for an older slab foundation home that has cast iron sewer lines, is that they can deteriorate after many years. PVC sewer piping has more commonly been used for about the last 40 years. Older homes also typically had copper water supply lines running under the slab, but sometimes newer homes have them in the walls and ceilings, instead.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-13-2015, 04:31 PM

3,216 posts, read 8,554,994 times
The other thing that may seem strange to you when you come is seeing water heaters in garages...in the NE, that obviously wouldn't work due to freezing temperatures!

Old 01-13-2015, 05:06 PM

214 posts, read 325,553 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pobre View Post
The other thing that may seem strange to you when you come is seeing water heaters in garages...in the NE, that obviously wouldn't work due to freezing temperatures!
Haha, yeah, I've never seen that before. I'd rather it be in the garage though, ours is crammed in the laundry closet in our kitchen next to the water softener. I hate having all of that stuff right in the middle of the house like that.

Old 01-13-2015, 05:15 PM

1,448 posts, read 1,187,379 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pobre View Post
The other thing that may seem strange to you when you come is seeing water heaters in garages.
I wish mine was in the garage; mine is in the attic over a second floor bedroom. It makes me a little nervous and it was quite a hassle to replace it a couple of years ago.

Old 01-15-2015, 04:00 PM

1 posts, read 588 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lady katie View Post
That's very interesting, about the foundations. I don't think I've ever even seen a house built on a slab, just garages. Even my inlaws who live in the Catskills, where you cannot dig a foundation due to the rock and clay ground, built their house on a raised foundation. Interesting. Is there a reason for the slabs, or is it just that it's more affordable? I wouldn't mind a slab, to be honest. We have a crawl space here, and it generally just equals more maintenance. We can't even really use it for storage because of moisture.

I would opt for an engineered hardwood floor over tile or carpet. I don't love them, but it has the look that I'm going for, and I know that you can refinish them twice if need be. We have solid wood here, and I do love them, but engineered would probably be the next best thing for me, especially if we could glue it and not just have it float.
Concerning building on a slab, from what I remember from my classes in architecture, we build directly on a slab in this part of the country because there is no need to dig further down to build basements. Basements are built in northern climates where the freeze line extends many feet into the ground. Foundations for houses have to extend so many inches past the freeze line. Here the freeze line only extends about 18-24 inches if I recall. Therefore, a house can be built on a concrete slab with foundations that extend only a few feet into the ground.

Old 02-21-2015, 02:23 AM

2 posts, read 1,823 times
There are several reason behind the such type of building made of brick. Like brick is used for giving a stylish look to the building, also they more strengthen then the other type of material building. But the main reason behind the brick house in Texas is that Texas is hot place which makes bad effect on the paint.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio